December 21, 2014, 07:27:06 AM

Author Topic: Sling Straps: Black Rapid, Sun Sniper  (Read 28070 times)

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
Sling Straps: Black Rapid, Sun Sniper
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »
Ok, so what keeps the attachment point from loosening and then the camera falling?

Is the tripod attachment point on the camera body engineered to work this way (will the use of this system cause the threaded insert to be pulled out)?
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

canon rumors FORUM

Sling Straps: Black Rapid, Sun Sniper
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Sling Straps: Black Rapid, Sun Sniper
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:34:28 AM »
When used in the usual way (lug threaded into the tripod socket), it's a bolt threaded in and place under reverse tension by the rubber washer in between.  At least with the BlackRapid, there's a pivot point above the carabiner that attaches to the lug, so when the camera twists, it's the pivot that rotates, which reduces the rotation force on the attachment lug.

Having said that, it doesn't hurt to check the lug for tightness occasionally.

Personally, I never unscrew the lug - I use Arca-Swiss-type QR plates, and the point of those is to be able to quickly mount the camera to a tripod/monopod.  Having to unscrew the FastenR-3 lug from the camera or lens plate and screw it back on wouldn't be very quick, and the repeated detach/attach means more chance of not tightening it properly on occasion.  My solution was to connect the FastenR-3 to a small AS-type clamp (Kirk 1") with a bit of Loctite Blue, and I just attach the clamp to camera plate or lens plate as needed - easy to move and remove for tripod/monopod mounting.

BR strap attached to FastenR-3 lug connected to Kirk 1" clamp, shown with a Wimberley P-5 camera plate:
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:53:27 AM »
Interesting arrangement.

Thanks for sharing.

I don't yet have a tripod or the QR plates... so, I fail to see the need for speed when going from tripod to strap. Convenience, sure.

Has pull-out of the tripod screw point in the camera crossed your mind, or is that a non-issue? I would assume that if the lens is big enough to have a tripod mount, then that's where the attachment point should be, not the camera body.

Tijn

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:57:42 AM »
Interesting arrangement.

Thanks for sharing.

I don't yet have a tripod or the QR plates... so, I fail to see the need for speed when going from tripod to strap. Convenience, sure.

Has pull-out of the tripod screw point in the camera crossed your mind, or is that a non-issue? I would assume that if the lens is big enough to have a tripod mount, then that's where the attachment point should be, not the camera body.

I just saw a stress test of that attachment point on some Canon camera. Pulling a car with it. It worked.

C-Loop - How strong is the camera tripod mount? We pull a truck to find out.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:41:36 AM »
Has pull-out of the tripod screw point in the camera crossed your mind, or is that a non-issue?

It's a non-issue.  The tripod mount is integrated into the magnesium alloy chassis of the camera (and/or battery grip).  Perhaps with an xxxD body, the mount is not as robust, but I'd still imagine it's plenty sturdy.

I would assume that if the lens is big enough to have a tripod mount, then that's where the attachment point should be, not the camera body.

Yes, because that will result in a much better balance as the camera hangs from the strap. 

triggermike

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
    • mike fossler photography
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »
As Neuro pointed out in his first post, you need to be concerned with the sling lug loosening itself and the camera falling free and not the camera failing at the attachment point. The sling lug could come free if you've detached/reattached hastily without a good tightening or other twisting and turning of the sling. Even Arca plates loosen with use and need the occasional tightening.

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »
not worthy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:09:45 PM »
As Neuro pointed out in his first post, you need to be concerned with the sling lug loosening itself and the camera falling free and not the camera failing at the attachment point. The sling lug could come free if you've detached/reattached hastily without a good tightening or other twisting and turning of the sling. Even Arca plates loosen with use and need the occasional tightening.

Actually, camera falling is my main concern.

I did not notice any type of fail safe retaining device. Maybe something looped through the traditional neck strap attaching point and the sling strap.

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 12:24:49 PM »

I did not notice any type of fail safe retaining device. Maybe something looped through the traditional neck strap attaching point and the sling strap.

I saw a video a while back looking the use of the tripod screw mount on a camera base to secure a BR type strap and the strength of that area.  In the video they took a camera apart and examined the base plate where the tripod mount is and also the regular strap attachment points on the upper corners.  Based on the amount of metal on the base it was pretty clear that it's a much more secure attachment point than the regular attachment hooks.   If you google around you might be able to find it, I don't have the link and for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it at the moment.  :o ::) :'(

triggermike

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
    • mike fossler photography
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 12:55:50 PM »
There are various discussions around the web for "safety straps, etc" in case the connector screw breaks or comes loose. I haven't seen any that were very informative.

Regular checking of the screw-in connector is just good practice and mandatory IMO. As I mentioned earlier, I regularly do this for all my Arca plates as well because they loosen with use, temperature, weight distribution, etc.

acoll123

• EOS M2
  • /
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »
I regularly use a Black Rapid strap attached to the bottom of my 5D2 with a 70-200 2.8 II on the camera - haven't had a problem for the past year or so since I got it but I do check to make sure it is screwed in tight periodically (when I think of it which is probably once a week or so). When I am not using the camera, I usually walk with one hand on the camera/lens just to keep it from swinging around too much.
I do have a small notch starting to wear away on the D-Ring it is maybe a 1/16th of an inch deep (~25% of the thickness of the D-Ring). I will probably check to see if there is any warranty recourse but regardless, I will probably replace the d-ring if it gets much deeper just in case.

LuCoOc

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 02:02:14 PM »

BR strap attached to FastenR-3 lug connected to Kirk 1" clamp, shown with a Wimberley P-5 camera plate:

+1 for that! I was thinking about such an alternitive.

Personally my r-strap never failed, but I continually check it. From my almost 1 year experience I can say: it is a save solution. However, I once tightend the screw too much and the rubber around my 7D's tripod mount came loose...
7D - BG
3 Ls - 1 EF - 2 EF-s - 2 M42s
430EX II - YN560-III

Tijn

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »
Are straps like those comfortably usable if you're also wearing a backpack?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »

I've seen some jury-rigged 'fail safe' solutions, but it's really not necessary.  Dropping a camera is certainly a concern.  But, individual carelessness/accident would be the cause, e.g. setting the camera down on the edge of a counter.

The connections as designed are robust.  If your initial question was concern over the tripod mount breaking or the lug coming unscrewed on it's own, don't worry about that (as I said, checking the lug occasionally is a good idea, just as it's good to check the battery grip connection if you use one, etc.).

Yes.  I often wear it with a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW on my shoulders. 

Tijn

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »

Yes.  I often wear it with a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW on my shoulders.
Do you wear the band under the backpack and its shoulderbands? And does that leave you enough slack to comfortably be able to pull your camera away from your body? (I imagine the shoulderbands of the backpack somewhat reducing the slack of the sling strap.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »