April 20, 2014, 02:34:44 PM

Author Topic: Sling Straps: Black Rapid, Sun Sniper  (Read 23236 times)

David KM

Re: Black Rapid Straps...
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »
I did. This is how I found out it has happened to quite a few. They replaced it free of charge. They recommend replacing this part every year. I just wish it were made of SS or titanium... would not be a problem then.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »

David KM

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2012, 11:07:55 AM »
http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fr-t1/

too bad you missed a previous thread where we discussed just this.....

This adapter (thanks Neuro) has now been added to all my adapters.

That link is not for the pieces I am talking about. The link you provide is for a modifying a  Manfrotto RC2 Quick Release Plate. It is called a FastenR-T1. As I use a Gitzo w/ Acratech ball head with acra swiss mount... I use a R3.

Regardless of FastenR-T1 or R3, this is not the where the separation  occurred.  The unit that attaches to these pieces... a two piece swivel unit on the strap (carabineer with metal pin and metal loop to the strap).  This unit will and do eventually separate. It was suggested by the manufacture  to replace this piece periodically to avoid this failure. Ridiculous in my mind, if it were SS or titanium this would not be necessary.

This is the piece I am talking about.

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/connectr/

Just a head up for any people using this. Don’t believe me but if the same happens to you… I told ya so!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:34:57 AM by David KM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »
I've had the RS-Sport for about three years, and the DR-1 for about a year...  I'm going to check them both as soon as I get home.

Jamesy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »
There was along thread on straps here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,3672.0.html

In the same thread I pointed out that BR sent me a free replacement of the ConnectR-2 device as one of the rivets had work itself free.
 http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,3672.msg77648.html#msg77648

ereka

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 12:14:50 PM »
From everything that has been said here, it seems to me that there are inherent flaws in the design and/or construction of these products. I was tempted, but now I'm minded to stay well clear! How about the 'sun sniper" range? Any better?

D_Rochat

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing this and It's unfortunate that this happened to you. For the amount that we pay for our BR straps, you'd expect that stuff like this wouldn't happen. I'll be checking mine more often and hopefully BR sorts their sh*t out.

David KM

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »
Thanks for the link but didn't see this as the same problem. Most are talking about the pioint where the connector attaches to the camera.

Not the same failure.

Like I've said... Just a heads up. Thousands of dollars hanging off my strap and I am as gulity as any for trusting that it's strong enough for the job.  For 5-8k dollars of gear I would easily pay 50 bucks for titanium security and I think BR should redesign.

When I spoke with Customer service... they were more than happy to send a replacement. A at most 5 dollar piece. My 5DmkII and 50L would have been SOL!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »

Jamesy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »
I just re-read your initial post, now I get where you experienced the failure. I mocked up a picture of the issue in case it helps someone else. Your BR failed at the blue circle whereas mine failed at the red one.

strykapose

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »
To David KM,
Thank you very much for posting the problem with the BR strap.
I have 3 RS7's and had to take a closer look after seeing this post.
I noticed that the knob and hole (blue circle Thanks to Jamesy)
is extensively worn out on my oldest and most used RS7 strap.
In given time, it will wear to the point it will be able to pass through.
Im not a pro shooter and average using that strap 1x a week for long walks or biking.
Comparing it to the newer BR7's I own, looks as if 50% of the nub has already worn away and the
strap is only about 1 1/2 years old.
Photography is my hobby and I will no longer trust this strap to support my expensive gear.
Thanks once again to David KM and everyone else who posted.

David KM

Re: Sling Straps: Black Rapid, Sun Sniper
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »
Thanks Jamesy... should have posted the image I had. This is exactly where the seperation occured (the blue circle).

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:40:41 PM by David KM »

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »
From everything that has been said here, it seems to me that there are inherent flaws in the design and/or construction of these products. I was tempted, but now I'm minded to stay well clear! How about the 'sun sniper" range? Any better?

I wound up buying a Sun Sniper strap.

Their swivel hardware is 100x better than the Black Rapid stuff that has been pictured in this thread. 

The Black Rapid hardware looks a lot like the low end stuff you can get at a hardware store.

The Sun Sniper swivel piece is stainless steel and made in Germany.

http://www.sun-sniper.com/en/sniper-strap-the-pro-steel-bear.html

Jamesy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »

I wound up buying a Sun Sniper strap.

Their swivel hardware is 100x better than the Black Rapid stuff that has been pictured in this thread. 

The Black Rapid hardware looks a lot like the low end stuff you can get at a hardware store.

The Sun Sniper swivel piece is stainless steel and made in Germany.

http://www.sun-sniper.com/en/sniper-strap-the-pro-steel-bear.html

This looks very interesting however there does not appear to be a quick way to detach the strap from the camera body - you would need to unscrew it, correct?

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2012, 05:56:54 PM »
This looks very interesting however there does not appear to be a quick way to detach the strap from the camera body - you would need to unscrew it, correct?

Yes, it has to be unscrewed.

I do not have the need to quickly detach the strap. Out of curiosity, why would someone need to do this? By design, neither the Black Rapid or Sun Sniper straps are in the way during use.

Nor did I like the construction of the Black Rapid hardware.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:03:00 PM by danski0224 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2012, 05:56:54 PM »

David KM

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2012, 06:11:13 PM »

Yes, it has to be unscrewed.

I do not have the need to quickly detach the strap. Out of curiosity, why would someone need to do this? By design, neither the Black Rapid or Sun Sniper straps are in the way during use.

Nor did I like the construction of the Black Rapid hardware.

Multiple cameras... a move to the tripod... events shooting...

I shoot weddings and have more than one body so having to unscrew is a major hassel.

I agree the Sunsniper is built better but odd there is no quick release. Plus, it has been reported that unit goes wonky also , due to lint/sand/etc getting caught up in the bearing assembly... so it ain't perfect either. I do like there straps better though.

D_Rochat

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2012, 06:23:29 PM »
I just re-read your initial post, now I get where you experienced the failure. I mocked up a picture of the issue in case it helps someone else. Your BR failed at the blue circle whereas mine failed at the red one.

What you've shown concerns me, but I don't think I'm going to abandon my strap and drop more money on a new one. I think I'm going to add a zip tie through the carabiner and slide for more assurance. I'll lose the ability to swivel, but it's not something I need anyways.

*EDIT* Better idea. You can get thin still braided line from any hardware store and have a loop crimped around the carabiner and slide as a fail safe. It will still allow for some swivel movement.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:27:22 PM by D_Rochat »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2012, 06:23:29 PM »