July 30, 2014, 12:38:33 AM

Author Topic: Sling Straps: Black Rapid, Sun Sniper  (Read 25563 times)

epiem

Re: Sling Straps: Black Rapid, Sun Sniper
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2012, 06:24:47 PM »
Ok, so what keeps the attachment point from loosening and then the camera falling?

Is the tripod attachment point on the camera body engineered to work this way (will the use of this system cause the threaded insert to be pulled out)?

I have BlackRapid

A rubber grommet seals it. Plus the length of the threads, you would KNOW if it was becoming loose.

I am in the habit of checking it every once in a while. It's like second nature now.

I still have NEVER found it to be loose...EVER

I have some complaints about these systems like the plating they use and the little noises that the "Stock" loops make.
I ended up getting the T1 fasteners and they work better, but they wont fit Manfrotto and other tripod quick release plates and the "nickel" plating will peel off...and when it does, it will give you a NASTY cut.

I still wouldn't head to a wedding or event without one. They beat the hell out of the around the neck ones....and the dual camera system is a dream~

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2012, 06:24:47 PM »

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
Re: Black Rapid Straps...
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »

Multiple cameras... a move to the tripod... events shooting...

I shoot weddings and have more than one body so having to unscrew is a major hassel.

I agree the Sunsniper is built better but odd there is no quick release. Plus, it has been reported that unit goes wonky also , due to lint/sand/etc getting caught up in the bearing assembly... so it ain't perfect either. I do like there straps better though.

Interesting.

So, do you use the Black Rapid FastenR-T1 that has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread? That seems to be the only solution for these sling straps + tripod + quick release.

I did a search for carabiners similar to the Black Rapid offering, and unless you are shopping for human rated hardware (climbing or safety) the construction seems to be similar to what BR has, although I could not locate an exact match.

Maybe that is why Sun Sniper does not have a quick release. The proper hardware would be cost prohibitive and/or bulky.

I did not consider problems with sand and the Sun Sniper. I suppose everything has its tradeoffs.

But, I am fairly confident that the Sun Sniper swivel assembly will not come apart even if it is full of grit. It has a pretty good sized external snap ring holding it together. The D ring is also stout and stainless steel.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2012, 06:56:24 PM »
*EDIT* Better idea. You can get thin still braided line from any hardware store and have a loop crimped around the carabiner and slide as a fail safe. It will still allow for some swivel movement.

These are nice: http://www.redoxx.com/Cool-Luggage-Accessories/Cable-Lock/91100/170/Product

D_Rochat

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »
*EDIT* Better idea. You can get thin still braided line from any hardware store and have a loop crimped around the carabiner and slide as a fail safe. It will still allow for some swivel movement.

These are nice: http://www.redoxx.com/Cool-Luggage-Accessories/Cable-Lock/91100/170/Product

That works too. This is what I came up with for $1 at a hardware store. This was just a quicky and I'm going to clean up the wire to avoid chaffing. This will at least catch the camera if the carabiner fails.

I did this a while ago because I didn't like the idea of having a buckle on the back. Maybe I'm paranoid....

David KM

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2012, 02:17:39 AM »
You could put some heat shrink tubing around that wire and make it black, silent and chaff proof. Just an idea.

After a few different options, I've ended up using a heavy duty split ring (like for keys). I found a small heavy duty one that holds my heaviest lens camera combo securely. So I know if all else fails, the ring will prevent this from ever happening again. Any of the pictures above accomplish the same thing. The split ring is smaller and looks a bit more polished IMHO.

Cheers, hope this helps keep anyone’s camera off the ground !!!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:32:12 AM by David KM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2012, 02:38:06 AM »
hahaha I just tried to order 10 of those redoxx things

they want $45 to ship to australia   :o
for 10 tiny $1 items

Hahahahahaha
well thats a sale they won't get
APS-H Fanboy

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2012, 06:00:23 AM »
They want $10 to ship to me. Don't know what it costs to ship to Australia from here.

Looks like it is about $12.00 USD to ship a 1lb package from USA to AUS via USPS.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:40:09 AM by danski0224 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2012, 06:00:23 AM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2012, 01:09:19 PM »
You could put some heat shrink tubing around that wire and make it black, silent and chaff proof. Just an idea.

That's a good idea. I'll have to head back to the hardware store later on. As long as it prevents that sickening thud, I'm happy. I'd like to see what other people have done to compensate for BR's lack of engineering.  ;D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »

That's a good idea. I'll have to head back to the hardware store later on. As long as it prevents that sickening thud, I'm happy. I'd like to see what other people have done to compensate for BR's lack of engineering.  ;D

Or some Plasti-Dip (the stuff for tool handles, in the paint section).  I used that with the older FastenR-2 lugs (the thinner, fold-down one), which made a very annoying click-click on the carabiner as I walked.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

D_Rochat

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »

Or some Plasti-Dip (the stuff for tool handles, in the paint section).  I used that with the older FastenR-2 lugs (the thinner, fold-down one), which made a very annoying click-click on the carabiner as I walked.

Another good idea. I may just go that route as I'll find other uses for plastic dip as well. Thanks.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »

Looks like a good idea - a Ty-Rap would work in this application too. The only issue would be it could restrict mobility of the camera but at the same time that could be a good thing to prevent it spinning around.

BTW, a buddy at work just bought an $18 eBay knock-off of the RS-4 and he is going to being it into work to show me. I will report back the build quality to all of you.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:25:05 PM by Jamesy »

D_Rochat

« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »
I thought of using that for the swivel, but the zip ties degrade in the sun after time and become brittle. The current set up allows enough swivel movement. I don't need 360 movement, so it works for me. I'm curious what you have to say about the knock-off as I wouldn't mind having a spare.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
these are the old type of cheap ebay ones

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-Rapid-Camera-Sling-Strap-Black-D700-D5000-D3-/300568136829?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item45fb41cc7d

I've been using them as well as genuine Black rapid for a couple of years now they work well

but these new better copies just came out and i got a couple

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251008021232?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

and boy the quality is EXACTLY the same as genuine BR

If BR want to set themselves apart and charge what they do they need to change all the fixings to high tensile stainless steel then they can justify the current prices but otherwise they are well and truely over priced
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2012, 01:36:12 AM »
If BR want to set themselves apart and charge what they do they need to change all the fixings to high tensile stainless steel then they can justify the current prices but otherwise they are well and truely over priced

As much as I love my BR strap, I agree with that statement 100%. I shouldn't have to mod my strap to prevent potential disasters for the price I paid for it. There is very little metal involve in making a strap and the least they can do for they current price is make it with quality metals.

The_Arsonist

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Casey Roberts Photography
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:58 AM »
hahaha I just tried to order 10 of those redoxx things

they want $45 to ship to australia   :o
for 10 tiny $1 items

Hahahahahaha
well thats a sale they won't get

I use those things instead of split rings for my keys. I got mine from Amazon. They're sold under the name "Manta Ring" or "Lucky Line"

http://www.amazon.com/MantaRing-Cable-Ring-Waterproof-Blue/dp/B004ZSVE4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332223762&sr=8-1
Fuji X100s
50D with Katzeye-------FL 55 1.2 (EdMika)--------Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS-------Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:58 AM »