September 02, 2014, 04:16:29 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Technical Report  (Read 12352 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Technical Report
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
The camera is manufactured by now and on a boat crossing the Pacific.

I doubt that.  I import products by sea frequently and it takes 5 days to get here.  Canon is big enough to have their containers pre-cleared and sealed before they leave Japan, so they come right off the boat and go by rail to the Canon warehouse.  It would take under two weeks.

Since a delay has been rumored, they may not ship until March.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »

5D Freak

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 05:23:13 PM »
That was actually pretty shockingly uninformative.

Quite.  "We wanted to make a new camera.  We wanted to make it good."  Earthshatteringly insightful...

We would have expected nothing new from that anyway - we have already heard. Specs look pretty impressive (people are wondering about the f8 focus stuff - minor I think), so why are people so negative! Canon must be confident and backing their new AF and IQ - they are hanging their balls out! Two stops over 5DII is a bit much for RAW, I think maybe one stop ISO with better circuitry to suppress read out (and banding) noise+gapless microlenses. Let's wait n see. I think that people that would gripe of AF would be the ones that don't know how to tweak it for their own needs anyway - too much camera for them. I think this will be a great camera. If even some advances happen with the (hopefully) 5D III, I'd be more than stoked! I know DPP is pretty good, but would love to see things like dark frame subtraction (and at a stretch flat frame division) prior to 16bit output. I'd love to play with the files prior to curves applied. That may upset the forensic folk though.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:32:40 PM by 5D Freak »

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 06:03:08 PM »
I'm surprised that the X-sync speed has dropped to 1/250 sec, when the 1Ds Mark III and 1D Mark IV sync speed is 1/300. For a machine that can do 12fps I'd have thought it would be 1/300 or even higher. That extra speed can be handy before having to switch to HSS.

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »
Now, now, play nice. After all it was posted in the Canon Museum. If you want excitingly new (and suspect) information, you'll have to wait until Canon marketing releases their white paper - "Alien technology, Area 51, and the 1D X: The Truth is Out There."

So Canon is also now owned by Dell?   Oh no!   :o

Wouldn't that be Alienware? Been using Apple for the last 8 years, hadn't even given Dell a second thought, since I hated them even before I switched platforms.

5D Freak

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
I'm surprised that the X-sync speed has dropped to 1/250 sec, when the 1Ds Mark III and 1D Mark IV sync speed is 1/300. For a machine that can do 12fps I'd have thought it would be 1/300 or even higher. That extra speed can be handy before having to switch to HSS.

I'm pretty sure it's always been 1/250. You can still set the 580EX for high speed for above 1/250 for fill flash and use higher shutter speeds. Just a setting in the flash. In daytime, I'd be using a polarizer anyway to cut reflections off noggin, etc
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:20:07 PM by 5D Freak »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 06:20:39 PM »

1DsIII is 1/250 s. The 1DIV is 1/300 s - the small sensor means a shorter distance for the curtains to traverse, so they can cross faster, allowing a higher sync speed for APS-H.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

5D Freak

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 06:34:04 PM »

1DsIII is 1/250 s. The 1DIV is 1/300 s - the small sensor means a shorter distance for the curtains to traverse, so they can cross faster, allowing a higher sync speed for APS-H.

I thought there were mutliple blades for this - vertical blinds open-shut wheather full frame / APS-H. Maybe they just use electronic shutter these days (depends on video shutter speed capabilty)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:40:51 PM by 5D Freak »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 06:34:04 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »
I thought there were mutliple blades for this - vertical blinds open-shut wheather full frame / APS-H. Maybe they just use electronic shutter these days (depends on video shutter speed capabilty)

No, there are still a pair of curtains (titanium, I think).  The point is that with APS-H the curtains don't have to move as far to cross the sensor, compared to FF.  So, assuming Canon drives the 1-series (1D and 1Ds versions) curtains with their best motor, and the curtains move at the same speed, the shorter distance with APS-H means a faster sync speed can be achieved.

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 07:12:31 PM »
You know when this thing comes out you won't be able to get on anywhere. I placed an order for two and had to notify my Canon Pro rep to ensure I get them on release.

It's doubtful we'll see anything Raw or otherwise until a couple of weeks before release. The thing is way off ready imo.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

5D Freak

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 07:40:19 PM »
I have never seen an anouncement of this sort so far ahead in advance. They might just have their %^&t together. Esp for the olypmics coming up. If anything I think it would be the D4 users that should be most concerned. Canon seams pretty cock sure of their product and themselves atm. Never seen that before.

@ neuroanatomist - About the shutter mechanism, I think you probably know more than me. Do they use the classic shutter with live view? I remember my old olypmus C8080WZ used to do 1/1000s with a decent flash (but low) output. Loved my 350D when I first got it. Got heaps of great shots with that. I screwed up the IR coversion of that when a few screws rusted after all the slat water splashes it copped.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »
@ neuroanatomist - About the shutter mechanism, I think you probably know more than me. Do they use the classic shutter with live view? I remember my old olypmus C8080WZ used to do 1/1000s with a decent flash (but low) output. Loved my 350D when I first got it. Got heaps of great shots with that. I screwed up the IR coversion of that when a few screws rusted after all the slat water splashes it copped.

Live View uses an electronic first curtain.  In fact, Live View and silent shooting mode (if available, actually it's the default on xxxD bodies in Live View) gives better vibration reduction than mirror lockup alone.

CCD sensors can be flushed much faster than CMOS, and thus can have both 'curtains' as electronic.

5D Freak

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »

Live View uses an electronic first curtain.  In fact, Live View and silent shooting mode (if available, actually it's the default on xxxD bodies in Live View) gives better vibration reduction than mirror lockup alone.

CCD sensors can be flushed much faster than CMOS, and thus can have both 'curtains' as electronic.

Dude, glad you know more than me! I was wondering about the electon flush between exposures. I have avoided live view landscape shooting for this. So, electrons are flushed before exposure for live view stuff too. Good news to me! Thanks mate :D

5D Freak

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »
I guess there still is a disadvanage of sensor heat with live view. Still try and avoid it I guess. Live view focusing for astro only on first exposure. I generally through away that one anyway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 09:56:20 PM »

The cymbal isn't real either!!

Gee, this drum roll has been going on for some time now.  When does the cymbal crash?
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

5D Freak

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 12:08:11 AM »
it still sucks, then D4.

Boo hoo to you. You can have the D4. Bit of double kick bass drums........Hope you have the lenses to suit. My old man is a Nikon man. Wish he had a Nikkor 14-24 that I can use on my 5DII for astro. Cymbals please.... Might have to buy that for him for doing my tiling at my home. 300 buckarooni adaptor.....Boom (Outro bass kick). Sweeeeet  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 12:08:11 AM »