October 31, 2014, 05:25:06 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Technical Report  (Read 12762 times)

anthros

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Technical Report
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 01:44:54 AM »
I import products by sea frequently and it takes 5 days to get here.  [snip] [shipping the 1Dx] would take under two weeks.

From where do you regularly import products by sea? Unless you have a private fleet of bluewater hydrofoils, five days is wildly unrealistic for bringing containers to the US from Asia.

The great circle distance from Tokyo to San Francisco is ~5500 miles. To make that trip in five days, you'd need to average about 46 MPH. Container ships typically cruise at 25 knots, which is a little less than 29 mph. I'd be fascinated if you can show me a container ship that can make anywhere near 46 mph.

It takes about eight days to go from Tokyo to San Francisco at 25 knots, so your other estimate--two weeks door to door--seems much more reasonable. However, many container ships have begun to cut speeds to 12 knots for the fuel savings:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jul/25/slow-ships-cut-greenhouse-emissions?cat=environment&type=article

Maybe I misunderstood your initial post, but the idea that 1DXes will cross the Pacific in five days is silly.  It's just as silly, in fact, as another poster's speculation that those cameras have already begun a three-month crossing.

Jason

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 01:44:54 AM »

5D Freak

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 02:30:48 AM »
Banque Populaire -  a 130ft sailing trimeran just completed the around the world 'Jules Verne' record in 45 days which has lifting foils akin to hydrofoils. Fastest long distance ocean going vessel - faster than any military vessel (even though they're powered by nukes) given the same conditions. Average speed for the journey was close the 30knots. The biggest threat on the ocean for these craft are UFO's - unidentified floating objects. Floating containers that fall overboard - happens all to often. Lucky it did strike one loaded with 1DXes or even 5DII's (I'd cry to see that!)

5D Freak

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 02:35:34 AM »
Wow-  just read that this boat also holds the 24hr record - 907 miles (not kms) averaging 37.79knots!

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 02:45:19 AM »
From where do you regularly import products by sea? Unless you have a private fleet of bluewater hydrofoils, five days is wildly unrealistic for bringing containers to the US from Asia.

Maybe I misunderstood your initial post, but the idea that 1DXes will cross the Pacific in five days is silly.  It's just as silly, in fact, as another poster's speculation that those cameras have already begun a three-month crossing.

Jason

Jason, welcome to the forum, nice first post.  ::)

KitH

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 11:46:15 AM »
I import products by sea frequently and it takes 5 days to get here.  [snip] [shipping the 1Dx] would take under two weeks.

The great circle distance from Tokyo to San Francisco is ~5500 miles. To make that trip in five days, you'd need to average about 46 MPH. Container ships typically cruise at 25 knots, which is a little less than 29 mph. I'd be fascinated if you can show me a container ship that can make anywhere near 46 mph.

It takes about eight days to go from Tokyo to San Francisco at 25 knots, so your other estimate--two weeks door to door--seems much more reasonable. However, many container ships have begun to cut speeds to 12 knots for the fuel savings:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jul/25/slow-ships-cut-greenhouse-emissions?cat=environment&type=article

Jason

Depends what it is you're importing.  If it's something like laptops, they're already well on their way before the orders get placed.  Hence the five days delivery can be feasible.   Sony knows they'll sell 1000 Vaios next week from a single shipment to San Francisco, they just don't know exactly who is the end-buyer this time - so they send them before they go obsolete!

Anyway, given the noise and fuss about the new pro Canons I'd guess they'd be worth sending by air freight. 

GND

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 03:40:25 PM »
>> Canon has posted a technical report about the Canon EOS-1D X  at their Canon Museum. It’s a good quick reference for the camera.

Full technical report with great videos, links, etc. here:
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained.do

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »
So how long does it take to ship to the UK then.... cos that's where all the 1Dxfiles are headed  ;D ;D ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »

hollybush

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 01:48:02 AM »
A list of accepted focussing screens is given, but the Ec-S high-precision one is not among them.

If it has been desupported, that would be a real step backwards. Users of fast manual-focus lenses in particular would have a problem; with back-button autofocus set, you'd need to hold the AF button down to get focus confirmation. Users of lenses via unchipped adaptors would be in real trouble.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »
A list of accepted focussing screens is given, but the Ec-S high-precision one is not among them.

If it has been desupported, that would be a real step backwards. Users of fast manual-focus lenses in particular would have a problem; with back-button autofocus set, you'd need to hold the AF button down to get focus confirmation. Users of lenses via unchipped adaptors would be in real trouble.

Hmmm... "The EOS-1D X supports the Ec-A, B, D, H, I, and L focusing screens."

Still, I wouldn't panic quite yet - the technical report lists only 6 screens, but the Canon CPN spec page states, Focusing Screen: Interchangeable (12 types, optional). Standard Focusing Screen Ec-CV.   So, I suspect the 1D X will take the Ec-S, or Canon will come out with a 1D X-compatible equivalent.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »

Hmmm... "The EOS-1D X supports the Ec-A, B, D, H, I, and L focusing screens."

Still, I wouldn't panic quite yet - the technical report lists only 6 screens, but the Canon CPN spec page states, Focusing Screen: Interchangeable (12 types, optional). Standard Focusing Screen Ec-CV.   So, I suspect the 1D X will take the Ec-S, or Canon will come out with a 1D X-compatible equivalent.

Any update on this subject?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »

It's not supported at this point, although the only problem it causes is with metering (physically, it fits).  Chuck Westfall told me that it's apparently something Canon could fix in firmware, if they choose to.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »

It's not supported at this point, although the only problem it causes is with metering (physically, it fits).  Chuck Westfall told me that it's apparently something Canon could fix in firmware, if they choose to.

Hm, thanks for the info, I'll try to let them know that some people would like this.

(And I'll let them know that it took me about 2 hours to install EOS Utility on my Mac, using tools like dtruss to skip the stage that always got stuck - Canon's Mac software is still as crappy as ever).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »