September 01, 2014, 02:46:27 PM

Author Topic: Can someone debunk this Peter Lik picture... PLEASE!!!  (Read 54025 times)

Sunnystate

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone debunk this Peter Lik picture... PLEASE!!!
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »
Aren't we already brain washed to accept all kind of funny creatures to make fortunes based on lies, hoaxes, stolen intellectual properties?
Just today someone have reached 28 billion of personal worth, apparently as the legend says, on not entirely honest manipulations.
All we bread eaters, sheep, ****, can do is go and occupy Wall St. I guess...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:14:29 PM by Sunnystate »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »

TinaLovesCanon

« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:38 PM »
The moon is bigger on the horizon thing (Atmospheric magnification) is a myth.  Long since proven false.

Peter's images never looked very real to me.  The dime store romance novel language of how he felt connected to the moon is the part than makes me feel sick.

Aetius

« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2012, 02:42:45 PM »
I did some math one time and found that if you want to fill the frame with the moon, actually get the edges of the moon to touch the edges of the horizontal edges of frame, you'd need a 2350mm lens on FF and about 1450 on a 1.6 crop.

Sounds about right. This image is a fullframe image of the moon, shot through a Celestron CPC 800 of 2032 mm focal length.

Full size image here.

Picsfor

« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »
http://500px.com/photo/4751162?from=popular

Just to muddy the water - have a look at the picture in the link above?

A moon with clouds?

Nice pic - but not a photograph!

sailingsilkeborg

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2012, 03:17:52 PM »
I'm just am amateur/advanced amateur, but do have some questions: (1) How can the haze or clouds that create the lavender tones in the photo be behind, and nowhere in front of, any portion of the moon? Wouldn't the haze or clouds have to be more than 340,000 miles from the earth in order for that to be the case? (2) Is there a lens that would allow both the moon and the foreground tree to both be in sharp focus? What focal length would be required for that to work? (3) Did the photographer survive the absolute nail-biting, nerve wracking experience? If this is what one goes through to get an exceptional photo, I can only guess how Moses' post-climb writeup would have read, after he had seen the burning bush and heard the voice of God.

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
If this is what one goes through to get an exceptional photo, I can only guess how Moses' post-climb writeup would have read, after he had seen the burning bush and heard the voice of God.

Yeah, but can you imagine if he'd gotten a picture??   ;D

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2012, 03:25:30 PM »
If this is what one goes through to get an exceptional photo, I can only guess how Moses' post-climb writeup would have read, after he had seen the burning bush and heard the voice of God.

I heard that he did have a photo, but shot jpeg, lost some highlight detail, and was too embarrassed to show it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2012, 03:25:30 PM »

WildBill

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »

I'm sure Peter Lik got the shot and has a story to go with it.

D.Sim

« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »
Peter Lik is NOT A LIAR and this picture proves it!
I dunno, technically wouldn't that picture mean he's actually done a lot of editing, what with the colours/adding things in?

Plus, one true picture doesn't actually mean that he doesn't doctor any images at all.

Jackie Chansky

« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »
I dunno, technically wouldn't that picture mean he's actually done a lot of editing, what with the colours/adding things in?

Plus, one true picture doesn't actually mean that he doesn't doctor any images at all.

The upper pic is from Lik, the lower pic is from Rodney Lough - Lik's heavy handedness is too overwhelming IMHO.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »

a believe a sarcasm alert is in order

loosecanon

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
Who gives a flying f%&K whether he doctors, manipulates, combines or blends frames to come up with his shots?  I certainly don't.  You either like his stuff or you don't. You like the guy or you don't. 
With all due respect some of the posters on this thread need to get out more / take more photographs / be more personally creative / get a girlfriend (delete as applicable).
...and don't bother to vote this post down, I used a trashmail address to set up a new account so as not to have some highly offended wan*er tryign to damage my karma.
Just my 2 cents worth.  Have a nice day and take some images.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2012, 04:23:07 PM »
http://500px.com/photo/4751162?from=popular

Just to muddy the water - have a look at the picture in the link above?

A moon with clouds?

Nice pic - but not a photograph!
Ha, that's excellent. The only way to get the stars to blur like that would be a much longer exposure, not 1/250th of a second. Or, you could shake the camera, but, then the moon wouldn't be so crisp. The birds in front of the moon are just that step too far for me...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2012, 04:23:07 PM »

sailingsilkeborg

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2012, 08:18:59 PM »
"Who gives a flying f%&K whether he doctors, manipulates, combines or blends frames to come up with his shots?  I certainly don't.  You either like his stuff or you don't. You like the guy or you don't. 
With all due respect some of the posters on this thread need to get out more / take more photographs / be more personally creative / get a girlfriend (delete as applicable)."

Once again, the issue isn't manipulation of the image, post-processing or any of those things. Listen carefully: many people believe that if you're going to write up a breathless epiphany about what you did to capture a photo, it ought to contain some semblance of the truth about what you did to capture the photo. The problem here isn't manipulation of the image or images, it's the   disingenuous description that seems clearly to be designed to create the false impression that the image consists of one click, one photo. Several dozen posters have rather convincingly described why that cannot be so.

I'm quite OK with the notion that if you choose to talk, what you say ought to be true. Whoever pointed out the difference between declaring you're the King of England, vs. merely taking a photo of yourself wearing a crown, made the point quite well. And I don't think I need to be a professional (which I'm not) to have the right to an opinion about the need for some basic integrity, even among obvious self-promoters. 

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2012, 09:25:44 PM »
This has been quite the discussion. I'm going to lock the thread, because I don't think a consensus is going to be reached.

Thanks
CR
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2012, 09:25:44 PM »