December 18, 2014, 12:37:40 PM

Author Topic: From NL: Wait for 5D3 could be longer  (Read 7392 times)

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
From NL: Wait for 5D3 could be longer
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »
As read over at NL
"31st A suggestion received (thanks) not to expect deliveries of a 5D3 until October.
Whilst we've had numerous suggestions that it would be after the 1D X, this is the first for a while that's pushed it back towards Photokina (from an August announcement?)"

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d3.html

BTW: It is not the first time we read this at NL. Even last year after the 1Dx announcement the suggested a long wait for a 5D3...

This leaves space for a mystical 3D or a downstripped 1Dx type body for February ... Or will the 5D3 mentioned at NL materialize as the high MP cam?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:49:00 AM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

From NL: Wait for 5D3 could be longer
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »

BlueMixWhite

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: From NL: Wait for 5D3 could be longer
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 11:30:33 AM »
Ouch!!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »
When Nikon announces the D800 next week, Canon will be announcing something within a very few weeks.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 12:05:24 PM »
When Nikon announces the D800 next week, Canon will be announcing something within a very few weeks.

Although the term "Weeks" can be used loosely...

Quote Saving this   ;D

I cannot wait for the announcement... Cmon Canon.. Do it! (or is it Nikon Do it first?)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:11:25 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »
As read over at NL
"31st A suggestion received (thanks) not to expect deliveries of a 5D3 until October.
Whilst we've had numerous suggestions that it would be after the 1D X, this is the first for a while that's pushed it back towards Photokina (from an August announcement?)"

Looking back at history, the 5D2 was announced in a early/mid September timeframe as part of Photokina; and shipments didnt begin until early December (maybe late November).  There appeared to be lots of shortages and maybe a hiccup.  I wasnt part of that cycle so others may have a clearer memory - but anyway roughly 3 months from announce to first ship if history repeats.

So the question on the rumor is, deliveries in October might suggest a early/mid-summer announce.  If it is an announce @ Photokina, I'd dare say I would not see one in my hands until New Years - ouch!  I am hoping Canon isnt planning on waiting that long!

I would be surprised if Canon would yield 6 months or more to the next Nikon offering.  And while the 5D line is generally not mass market consumer - going into 2012 Holiday without a comparable offering would be highly concerning for the company.

Got to believe its sooner than all that.
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

Dianoda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »

Quote Saving this   ;D

I cannot wait for the announcement... Cmon Canon.. Do it! (or is it Nikon Do it first?)

I'm going to go out on a limb and postulate that the term "something" can be used loosely... :P
Current Kit: Some cameras and a bunch of lenses, maybe even a tripod or two

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:47 PM »

Quote Saving this   ;D

I'm going to go out on a limb and postulate that the term "something" can be used loosely... :P

Haha +1
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:47 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 01:36:21 PM »
The 5D MK II was announced about 4 weeks after the D700.  It took slightly over 2 months to get mine, and it was among the first shipped.  Adorama really worked to get a huge nmber of them shipped in two or three days after receiving them.  The camera exceeded all sales estimates, so those who waited to order had to wait about two weeks to get theirs.  Many were not willing to pre-order so they waited for months until the cameras were in stock, but, once cameras started shipping,  there were few who actually ordered and had to wait more than three weeks.

Flake

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 01:44:27 PM »
I think if I was allocating this CR numbers it'd be a 0.  There's no way that Canon would announce a camera in Feb knowing it couldn't start shipping until October, and there is no mention in that rumour of a different announcement date.  Canon will be looking to keep it's delivery promises especially after the debacle of the long lenses and the rumour of the 1D X being set back slightly, the Japanese are touchy about saving face so I expect them to be extra punctual with the next few models.

The last 5D rumour for a release in late Feb was rated a CR3 as good as it gets, imagine the effects on Canons sales if everyone knows there's a new 5D MkIII in October!  10 months wait!

Canon-F1

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 01:56:02 PM »
to be honest all these rumor sites seem to have no clue at all.

if there is something with substance you will read it anywhere at once .... all other stuff you can read there is crap.  no offense admin.... it´s still a nice site here. :)

februar,  no august, no december, no march, no july, no september.... wait i received word about november.

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 02:27:49 PM »
to be honest all these rumor sites seem to have no clue at all.

Februar,  no august, no december, no march, no july, no september.... wait i received word about november.
Thats because there are too many wannabe sources. I wish the wannabes could just shut up and go sit in a corner and let the real sources give us the info.

Anyway, the 5D3 is overdue (imo). I have no idea what Canon is doing. Perhaps the earthquake in Japan and the floods in Thailand hit them harder than we thought.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:29:34 PM by Ricku »

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »

There's no way that Canon would announce a camera in Feb knowing it couldn't start shipping until October...

The 1DX was announced Oct 18...if it ships in April as is now rumoured, that's close to 6 months.  Maybe Canon likes all the hype and buildup and this is a new trend in their marketing!  :o  ;)  Just kidding, hopefully this rumour is incorrect.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:09:08 PM by bigblue1ca »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 03:33:55 PM »

There's no way that Canon would announce a camera in Feb knowing it couldn't start shipping until October...

The 1DX was announced Oct 18...if it ships in April as is now rumoured, that's close to 6 months.  Maybe Canon likes all the hype and buildup and this is a new trend in their marketing!  :o  ;)  Just kidding, hopefully this rumour is incorrect.

yeah I'm with bigblue.  between the 1DX and the big white lenses announced last year, Canon seems to have no qualms about announcing things they can't deliver on for a long time.  I'm not a fan of it, it seems like a way to keep people away from buying competing products while stretching out their own production deadlines, which just seems like a lousy way to treat the consumer.  after all, we're essentially their clients, and if I were to tell my client to sit tight for awesomeness that they won't see for half a year ... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have any clients.  then again, it's a totally different industry.  the auto industry has this sort of long lag between reveal and delivery and it's normative there, so maybe Canon is aiming to be "industry-leading" in yet another fashion.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 03:33:55 PM »

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »
If they wait that long, I probably loose patience and buy a kawasaki jetski with all the photo budget I have
(just providing incentive to Canon to hurry up)  :P

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »
I'm really starting to wish I'd bought a 5d MkII six months ago.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »