December 17, 2017, 03:32:02 AM

Author Topic: Companies that process RAW files  (Read 18923 times)

Orangutan

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: Companies that process RAW files
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 02:30:51 PM »
Jesus Christ guys! How many pro wedding photographers did their own processing back in the film days?

"Film days" and digital are not the same.  One big difference is "the customer:" in the film days, photographers made their money on prints, so they had motivation to choose a processor who would generate print-worthy results.  With digital, especially low to mid price ranges, it's often a flat fee for digital files.  There's no motivation for the photographer to choose a slightly better post-processor.  You could argue that poor quality results will diminish the photographer's reputation in the long-run, but that's not a strong correlation.  If I were hiring I'd want someone who was present to do the PP: getting a sense of the guests and their significance to the couple is essential for a compelling set.  For example, if you have a less-than-perfect photo of great-aunt Tillie, normally a reserved lady, with a beer and a big smile, that could be a keeper despite the quality of the photo.  An outsourced PP might delete it.

Outsourcing PP may give consistently-excellent technical quality, but will diminish the social quality because the PP doesn't have a sense for the spirit of the event.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 02:30:51 PM »

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2016, 04:00:09 PM »
Surely PP can mean different things.

At it simplest the contractor does the grunt work:
-  identify the duds and mark for deletion
-  standardise white balance
-  sharpening and noise reduction
If the photographer wants final control then they export all as jpeg (including the 'duds') and send back to the photographer who flicks through to check the general standard. This satisfies the 'gimme everything you shot' client.

The photographer can then select the 40 shots (or whatever was agreed in the contract) to build the album then either process just those 40 themselves or start to talk to the contractor what style they want (giving them examples from previous shoots) and let them do that as well. I doubt it will be a bad job, but whether it is what the photographer wants to the nth degree is a different matter and can be discussed afterwards.

takesome1

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »
comment removed by mod
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:22:13 PM by takesome1 »

pwp

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2016, 08:00:05 PM »
lol none of you seem to understand, I'm trying to spend LESS time editing, not ramp things up.
One day some of you may run businesses. Of those few who do, some of your businesses will be successful. Now, unfortunately, one of the drawbacks of owning a successful business is that there is a lot of work to do. When the amount of work is too great for one person, it's time to start outsourcing some of the load. I don't expect you simpletons to understand this concept, so don't hurt your brains trying xx
aa_angus, if you ask for some help it's not a great idea to flame the people who have responded.

It's true and kind of obvious that the realities of running your own business will be outside the experience those who haven't been there, so just self-filter the responses that are not relevant to you.

A reality of forums and lists like CR is that posters will not necessarily have read the whole thread in detail, most will have skimmed it at best and may just be responding the the most recent post. Be nice!  ;)

-pw

KrisK

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2016, 09:50:43 PM »
lol none of you seem to understand, I'm trying to spend LESS time editing, not ramp things up.
One day some of you may run businesses. Of those few who do, some of your businesses will be successful. Now, unfortunately, one of the drawbacks of owning a successful business is that there is a lot of work to do. When the amount of work is too great for one person, it's time to start outsourcing some of the load. I don't expect you simpletons to understand this concept, so don't hurt your brains trying xx
aa_angus, if you ask for some help it's not a great idea to flame the people who have responded.

It's true and kind of obvious that the realities of running your own business will be outside the experience those who haven't been there, so just self-filter the responses that are not relevant to you.

A reality of forums and lists like CR is that posters will not necessarily have read the whole thread in detail, most will have skimmed it at best and may just be responding the the most recent post. Be nice!  ;)

-pw

I guess we have a Rashomon effect going on here.

As I read through this thread, I found myself increasingly irked at the handful of snarky, dismissive comments from what I gather are forum old timers, offering the equivalent of "get off my lawn." So when I hit the OPs "simpletons" line, I actually laughed a bit, thinking that, well, they kind of had that coming....

(Not everyone, of course. But I suspect folks who'd made sincere responses to the OPs question knew it wasn't directed at them.)

rfdesigner

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2016, 01:57:54 PM »

-pw

As I read through this thread, I found myself increasingly irked at the handful of snarky, dismissive comments from what I gather are forum old timers, offering the equivalent of "get off my lawn." So when I hit the OPs "simpletons" line, I actually laughed a bit, thinking that, well, they kind of had that coming....

(Not everyone, of course. But I suspect folks who'd made sincere responses to the OPs question knew it wasn't directed at them.)

Actually his "simpletons" post was in direct response to mine. which was concidered and just suggesting other ways of attacking the problem of not having enogh hours in the day to deal with the amount of processing.

I have run a business and have had employees

He just hope he treats his customers at little better
6D, 30D, 383L+, 28f1.8, 50STM, 100f2.0, 5.5"f8 scope, 12"f5 scope.

rfdesigner

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2016, 03:51:06 PM »

-pw

aa_angus is going through "growing pains."

Really, it isn't for any of us to tell him how to grow the business, it is up to him to work it out himself.

Don't forget that he's essentially looking for business consulting advice for free and when it comes to free, well you get what you pay for. I think this is what a lot of people see: why should I give him free advice on how to make money?

On the other hand, if he's willing to pay someone for business advice, I'm sure he'd learn a lot more.

not necessarily.

There's a very long line of people willing to take your money in return for letting them talk.  Far too many are utterly useless.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2016, 03:51:06 PM »

aa_angus

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 12:52:32 AM »
Wow, first time I checked this thread in a while. I'm so surprised by some of the comments I read! Very few people in here seem to have a clue about the basics of business! I have everything sorted out now, turns out there are many wonderful options out there when it comes to outsourcing editing! I'm already getting my weekdays back, it's brilliant :D

The turnaround time for clients has greatly improved, and I'm providing work for others. Really everybody involved is winning. So glad I went down this path rather than listening to the vast majority of you! xx
5DIV, 6D, 16-35 f/4L IS, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 85 f/1.2L II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 15 f/2.8 fisheye, 40 f/2.8 STM, 50 f/1.8 STM, 600EX II-RT 600EX-RT, 430EXIII RT, ST-E3-RT. Film bodies: EOS 1V-HS, EOS 3

aa_angus

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 01:10:38 AM »
i'm honestly a bit puzzled by that question. i would believe that in wedding photography post is at least as important for the final result as the shooting itself is. to me the outsourcing of post thus sounds like a no-go. am i being naive here? is this a common thing?

You're being naive. There are literally thousands of businesses dedicated to processing wedding photographers raw files.
5DIV, 6D, 16-35 f/4L IS, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 85 f/1.2L II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 15 f/2.8 fisheye, 40 f/2.8 STM, 50 f/1.8 STM, 600EX II-RT 600EX-RT, 430EXIII RT, ST-E3-RT. Film bodies: EOS 1V-HS, EOS 3

Mikehit

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 02:46:08 AM »
Good to hear you've got it sorted to your satisfaction. Out of interest aa_angus are the contractors doing the full processing all the way to completing those for the final album or preparing the shots for you to do the final editing tweaks?

rfdesigner

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 02:47:41 AM »
Wow, first time I checked this thread in a while. I'm so surprised by some of the comments I read! Very few people in here seem to have a clue about the basics of business! I have everything sorted out now, turns out there are many wonderful options out there when it comes to outsourcing editing! I'm already getting my weekdays back, it's brilliant :D

The turnaround time for clients has greatly improved, and I'm providing work for others. Really everybody involved is winning. So glad I went down this path rather than listening to the vast majority of you! xx

please do come back after a month or two and let us know how it works out in the longer term.

aa_angus

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 02:09:45 AM »
Good to hear you've got it sorted to your satisfaction. Out of interest aa_angus are the contractors doing the full processing all the way to completing those for the final album or preparing the shots for you to do the final editing tweaks?

Good question. That's gotta be a first around here ;)
So far the jobs I've sent out have been edited to completion. That is of course, after I have given the all clear after viewing sample edits of each main lighting scenario. I closely inspect each catalogue, and so far none have required me to make touch ups. 

aa_angus

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 02:11:29 AM »

Wow, it has been like 3 days since you posted and look at all the changes in your business.. You must be a master at operating a photography business now.

:o  Yep it's a world record.  ;) 
       Business management seminars coming next?

-pw

lol, have fun sitting around waiting for people to post on these forums. I bet you're fat, single, ugly, and take horrible photos. Get a life xx

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 02:11:29 AM »

pwp

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 05:00:14 AM »
lol, have fun sitting around waiting for people to post on these forums. I bet you're fat, single, ugly, and take horrible photos. Get a life xx

Awww you're so sweet...and a brilliant judge of character!  ;D

-pw

romanr74

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • I see, thus I am
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 05:12:00 AM »

What makes everyone believe you do not take horrible photos?
EOS 5D Mark III; EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye; TS-E 17 f/4.0L; EF 85mm f/1.2L II; Macro EF 100 f/2.8L IS; EF 11-24 f/4.0L, EF 16-35 f/2.8L II, EF 16-35 f/4.0L IS, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 05:12:00 AM »