Gear Talk > Lenses

24, 35 or 70-200

(1/3) > >>

l0pht:
I currently have a XSI and am still debating on the 5D II or waiting on the III but I'll figure that out :)

Either way I'm looking to buy an additional lens.  I currently have a Sigma 50mm that pretty much lives on my camera now since I can't stand the kit lenses that came with my XSI after shooting with a prime.  I've read about the 24, 35 and 70-200 and they all seem to be really good lenses.  I don't make money taking photos (not yet anyways) but want a versatile lens that will last me a really long time.  I'm basically looking for opinions on what lenses typically live on your cameras and what you mostly shoot?

I know I visited Rome and was disappointed I couldn't get good pictures with my 50mm on the crop body of a lot of the architecture but enjoy shooting portraits and like the 70-200 for the range it has but it doesn't seem like the kind of lens you can throw on a camera and over your shoulders for an afternoon.

I will shoot some video too, not sure if that matter much but figured I'd throw it out there.

00Q:
24-70mm f/2.8

That is THE lens you put on your camera at all times. Covers all the range you need. Well, get a wide angle on its own, and later a 70-200.

thepancakeman:
When wandering Rome, you are correct the 70-200 isn't going to cut it.   :-\

Personally I almost never take that lens off (and yes, I'm using a crop body, not FF), but I neither could I shoot a landscape or architecture to save my life so I don't usally even try.  But even with my strict focus on people and sports there have been a few instances that I couldn't back far enough away to get the shot with the 70mm minimum.  I love the lens and use it 95% of the time, but it is not going to have a ton of flexibility if you want to move beyond head-shot portraits and sports (and maybe street?  Dunno, never tried...)

When I need to go shorter, the 24-105L produces great images, so if you don't need the speed or short DOF, I can easily recommend it.  For my uses either I or my target seem to always be on the move, so a zoom is almost indespensible for me and as much as I love the IQ of primes they rarely make it onto my camera. 

Look at the EXIF of the photos you've shot and figure out if you zoom a lot or kinda keep it at one spot, and shop accordingly.

jwong:

--- Quote from: l0pht on January 31, 2012, 02:25:56 PM ---I currently have a XSI and am still debating on the 5D II or waiting on the III but I'll figure that out :)

Either way I'm looking to buy an additional lens.  I currently have a Sigma 50mm that pretty much lives on my camera now since I can't stand the kit lenses that came with my XSI after shooting with a prime.  I've read about the 24, 35 and 70-200 and they all seem to be really good lenses.  I don't make money taking photos (not yet anyways) but want a versatile lens that will last me a really long time.  I'm basically looking for opinions on what lenses typically live on your cameras and what you mostly shoot?

I know I visited Rome and was disappointed I couldn't get good pictures with my 50mm on the crop body of a lot of the architecture but enjoy shooting portraits and like the 70-200 for the range it has but it doesn't seem like the kind of lens you can throw on a camera and over your shoulders for an afternoon.

I will shoot some video too, not sure if that matter much but figured I'd throw it out there.

--- End quote ---

Really depends on whether or not you plan on moving full frame.  If you stay with the crop sensor, then the mix of ef-s 10-22, ef-s 17-55 f/2.8 and 70-200 works really well.  If you get a 70-200, a shoulder strap system like the BlackRapid is almost a necessity.

It gets complicated when planning to go full frame in the future.  You could go 24-105 to cover the mid-range (instead of the 17-55) and get a used 10-22.

The 10-22 is great for indoor architecture (houses, churches, etc.), and the 70-200 is awesome for sports and shows.  I tend to use primes more for indoor use, but zooms are more versatile when travelling especially outdoors.  The 35L is a great lens (close enough to 50mm on a crop body), but I don't think that lens should be your next purchase.  It does not give a focal length difference large enough from the 50.  I think that you'd be better served getting either a 70-200 or an ultrawide zoom next.

elflord:

--- Quote from: l0pht on January 31, 2012, 02:25:56 PM ---I currently have a XSI and am still debating on the 5D II or waiting on the III but I'll figure that out :)

--- End quote ---

70-200 isn't a good range for architecture either. You should be looking into wide angle lenses.

If you're looking for a prime, the 24mm is the obvious choice if you really are going to buy a full frame camera. But that's not optimal on a crop -- on a crop, you're better off with any of the wide angle zooms (like the Canon 10-22) or the 17-55.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version