October 01, 2014, 08:59:47 PM

Author Topic: fair compensation?  (Read 2567 times)

Jeremy

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: fair compensation?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »
We had a reporter from a local paper come to do a story on a local issue in our street which concerned us.  The reporter came on a Sunday and he told us that the photographers don't work on Sundays.  I said I could take some photos as the story could get more coverage with a photo.  He agreed but informed me that they could not offer me money for it and I said that's ok, as long as I get my name listed under the photo.  He said, yes for sure.  But they forgot to list my name.  Rrrrrrrrrr.  He apologised profusely but I was so upset for so many days.

@melbournite   That sucks!  I would be furious too!  But you've given me an idea.  Occasionally I give photos to local non-profits, publications, etc. and always require photo credit.  They've always complied, but I'm sure it won't be long before  a "mistake" occurs.  So I think I'll add a line in my permissions that says something like, "Failure to add photo credit will result in a charge of $5000.  This charge in no way transfers image rights."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »

PhilippP74

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 11:01:01 AM »
I had a similar situation recently in my (non photo-related) business. The customer didn't want to pay the price I felt our service were worth. At the same time the money was not that important to me - it was more this "hey, it's worth that much"-thing. So I suggested to give the difference to charity. They got my point and were happy to do this - good publicity for them, too. So maybe this might be something for you and them as well. A nice story of the local newspaper supporting the local hospital (just an example) looks always good in print. Just my 0.02.

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 11:11:46 AM »
Just a thought--since this is not a first time calendar, maybe you can track down a source or two for their existing images and find out how much compensation they were given.

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
I'd take the 80 Euro and also ask for a credit line and a couple dozen calendars for you to have for your portfolio.

You're not bargaining from a position of strength. They'd like to use your picture, but if you demand too much, they can certainly find another image to use. I say that because, if they publish the calendar every year, they no doubt have regular contributors and sources for pictures.

Having the picture published and being able to show it around, even if it is only to show your kids and grandkids, will be worth much more than the 80 Euros, which will soon be gone.
+1  I'd run with that.  Be glad they've chosen to offer you compensation for one of your images, enjoy the "props" that go with it and get a dozen calendars to share with some of your family and yes, do make sure you get a credit line...

Congratulations! 
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

melbournite

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »
We had a reporter from a local paper come to do a story on a local issue in our street which concerned us.  The reporter came on a Sunday and he told us that the photographers don't work on Sundays.  I said I could take some photos as the story could get more coverage with a photo.  He agreed but informed me that they could not offer me money for it and I said that's ok, as long as I get my name listed under the photo.  He said, yes for sure.  But they forgot to list my name.  Rrrrrrrrrr.  He apologised profusely but I was so upset for so many days.

@melbournite   That sucks!  I would be furious too!  But you've given me an idea.  Occasionally I give photos to local non-profits, publications, etc. and always require photo credit.  They've always complied, but I'm sure it won't be long before  a "mistake" occurs.  So I think I'll add a line in my permissions that says something like, "Failure to add photo credit will result in a charge of $5000.  This charge in no way transfers image rights."

Good idea Jeremy and thanks for sharing.  I will consider that myself for next time.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »
Go back to them and tell them you really want to do it, but you feel fair compensation would be X.  Is there any way they can provide you X?  They will come back to you with a counter offer or a reiteration of the original offer.  It is up to you as a negotiator as to whether you think you can get more. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »