Gear Talk > Lenses

EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

(1/7) > >>

SPL:
Hello Everyone,

I’m new here and have very much enjoyed the forum.  I have learned a lot…I was wondering on some input and comments though.  In increasing my lens collection, I have been considering a EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM for my 7D.  Hopefully upgrade to a 5DIII in years down the line.  My question is, has anyone had any AF/auto focusing, front focusing, back focusing, issues with this lens?,…any ideas/suggestions? Thanks

JR:
Never had that issue with mine.  It is one of the sharpest lens I have seen, even wide open.  I use it with a 5DmkII but with a 7D you will get close to the 35mm view which is great for general purpose.  Dont regret buying this lens...also great for video use...

Jacques

ejenner:

--- Quote from: scrappydog on January 31, 2012, 07:42:59 PM ---
I think the issue is that the lens is manufactured in conformance with its specs, but that it may be more susceptible than other lenses to require microadjustment.  Any others want to chime in on this?  I am merely speculating here.

--- End quote ---

Just from my personal, somewhat limited experience, I would not buy a 1.4 or faster lens without having microadjustment on my body, and would even think seriously about it for an f1.8 or f2 on a telephoto.  Even for a 24mm lens, if you are going to want to nail focus at f1.4, either go into a store and find one that works with your body, have MFA, or send the lens and body in for calibration.

Sdiver2489:
I would NOT get this lens for a 7D. I tried 5 or 6 of them. ALL were inconsistent. I even tried sending one to canon maybe 3-4 times, they could not fix the issue. Problem is not consistent in focusing and therefore cannot be fixed with MFA. Look at the reviews on Canon.com. Even there this glaring issue is obvious. I don't think I've seen this issue reported with the 5D Mark II surprisingly.

Michael_pfh:
My 24 f/1.4L II works fine on both the 7D as well as 1D4. Did not have to do any MA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version