Gear Talk > Lenses

If you could buy one ...

(1/5) > >>

hpaton:
If you could buy only one, which would you choose?

24-70mm f/2.8 L
35mm f/1.4 L
50mm f/1.2 L

Presumed use -- wide variety, including portrait, landscape, interior, and even a little basketball (close-to-basket lens)

Wondering: Is it dumb to buy 24-70 now with rumors of new-gen version out soon?

Especially interested in feeback from anyone who owns or has used all three.

Want to make a buying decision before rebates expire Feb. 4.

Many thanks in advance.

evargas:
24-70mm f/2.8 L...

Just bought it and it is my new walk around lens. With the rebate + calumet's winter sale i saved like $250.
The new one will be significantly more expensive.

Using a 60D (1.6x crop) the 70-200mmL IS II can be a little too long for casual close encounters.

I plan to get the new 50 and the current 35 though. But I would prioritize the 24-70 if you want versatility.

Michael_pfh:
The 24-70 f/2.8 is definitely the best choice among the 3 when it comes to versatility although it could be too slow for indoor Basketball in certain situations - the 135 f/2 or any longer and faster prime tele would be a better choice for that but on the other hand would not fulfill your other intended purposes.

If you need/want that lens now go for the existing version of the 24-70, apart from being comparably heavy it is a great lens (the Mk2 is not going to have IS either and will most probably extend for focusing as well). If you do not need/want it now be prepared for another 6 months wait since the Mk2 will be hard to get after its launch since half of the entire Canon community seems to be drooling over it for quite some time (myself included).

briansquibb:
85 f/1.8 might be an alternative?

dunkers:
I've used the 24-70L on my 60D to shoot college basketball.  I always sit in the media area right next to the basket so I sit as close as you can get.

I really liked the 24-70L combo. It is wide enough when they are standing right in front of you (even when passing the ball in). And the reach is enough to cover your half of the court.

The 24-70L also functions as a good portrait lens. It can also do all of the other things you were looking to do as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version