June 23, 2018, 02:34:19 PM

Author Topic: Any oil spatter on the 1DX mkll?  (Read 19955 times)

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
Re: Any oil spatter on the 1DX mkll?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »
I doubt if the lubricant is really "oil" in the sense that most of us think of it, it is probably more of a silicone that is less likely to adhere to surfaces and less likely to do permanent damage.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »

East Wind Photography

• EOS 5DS R
  • EWP
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
It's really just a couple of pixels which in most cases won't show up. It's more important when it comes time for.cleaning or severe cases may indicate over lubrication or a mechanical issue.

arthurbikemad

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 04:00:59 PM »
Since I like to be paranoid and fret  ;), what is a good yet simple procedure to follow in evaluating this?  Is shooting a clear sky and then scanning the enlarged photo good enough?

Jack

Plain bright subject, like a white wall or sky without clouds. Stop the lens down to at least f16 and over expose by a couple of stops. Don't use a tripod, this means anything sharp is on the sensor, I normally deliberately move the camera to exaggerate this. Then just look at the exposure at 100%.

Now for the important bit, do not obsess over this it doesn't matter even a single tiny bit. The oil doesn't harm the sensor and is inconsiquential to images.

Thanks Scott.

Wondering why the oil doesn't matter.  Is it because it is very transmissive and doesn't block the pixels enough to dim the light?

Jack

To my mind people just make too much of it.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=30346.msg619264#msg619264

I think your right Private, I asked the question knowing Id get flamed but hay, I wanted to clean my sensor but Canon/cps wanted it back, so that's what they got and I got a new body, no big deal. :)

I did post here a while back but then thought, oh god, here we go again do I want to post about my issue/experience, so minuets later I removed it  :-X
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 04:03:54 PM by arthurbikemad »

canon1dxman

• EOS M5
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 04:36:22 PM »
No issues with oil on my copy. I did not have any issues with my 1DX either.

Same here.

+1

johnf3f

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 1Dx
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 05:00:47 PM »
How is it looking on the 1DX mkll? Does it have the oil spatter issue that seemingly plagued the 1DX?

This is news to me. I did hear that a few very early ones had a slight potential issue but this was corrected very quickly. There are only a few 1DX users that I know (5) but none of us have cleaned with anything but a Rocket Blower and only one of us has used a blower - me!

If the 1DX2 sensor stays half as clean as the original then you will have no problems.
Canon 1DX, 7D2, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2, 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 L IS Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Holga Pinhole lens.

R1-7D

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 06:59:34 PM »
I had a ton of oil on my sensor. Canon had to initially replace my sensor for a defect, so it's possible that they re lubricated at the same time. Anyways, mine was a mess.

DaveGershon

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »
I have not seen any my 1Dxmk2.  I have been shooting Basketball and Soccer with it.  Lots of 14fps bursts and no oil.
Dave

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »

LordofTackle

• EOS 80D
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 06:12:43 PM »
I had a ton of oil on my sensor. Canon had to initially replace my sensor for a defect, so it's possible that they re lubricated at the same time. Anyways, mine was a mess.

On your mark II??

I have mine since june, so far no oil spots.

-Sebastian

East Wind Photography

• EOS 5DS R
  • EWP
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 11:15:48 PM »

So yes i would think that some mechanical issues could spray lubricant so that was a good call.  In most cases, lubricant spots wont affect an image that much and can be reduced by using the built in dust reduction.  The real problem comes during a sensor clean.  If not done correctly the lubricant can smear and leave streaks after cleaning.  Generally it might take two or three cleanings to completely remove the contaminents.  If the techs are not careful enough they can miss it.  Ive had great experiences with canon cleanings (free for cps members) and ive had cleanings done at shows by midwest.  One sensor on my old 5d3 they had to clean several times and used a microscope to analyze the surface.  They did it right and i was happy with their effort.

scottkinfw

• EOS 5DS R
  • Wildlife photography is my passion
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 01:36:07 AM »
After many thousands of actuations, no oil on my sensor.  Love this camera.
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

R1-7D

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 01:36:14 AM »
Old topic, but still relevant for those considering purchasing a 1DX Mark II.

These are all from different 1DX Mark II cameras. I've collected 34 different 1DX Mark II cameras' files and they all exhibit the same oil splatter in the upper left corner of the frame.

I've sent my findings to both Canon Canada and CanonUSA. I've also been in contact with Arthur Morris, one of the original Canon Explorers of Light, who has been doing battle with CanonUSA over the same issue. They've just agreed to replace his whole camera with a brand new unit. Several other professionals over in the UK, Netherlands, and Germany have also been in discussions with Canon over the same thing too, and have either already gone through several camera replacements, or have had botched cleanings.

Some people will say this is normal for 1D cameras, or that people should learn to clean their own sensors. These people are full of BS. This is not something that should be considered normal, and cleaning your own 1DX Mark II sensor comes with a massive risk and a huge repair bill if anything goes wrong. Also, these damn cameras need cleaning 10x as often as any other Canon camera too, thus increasing risk. It only takes a few hundred shots on burst to get the sensors back to this condition.

If you are one of those individuals who think this is the norm, then whatever; glad you're enjoying your camera.

For everyone else, I'll just leave these here for any prospective purchasers, or any current owners out there displeased with the amount of crud on their sensors.

https://m.facebook.com/david.pattyn.50/posts/1963109727262418?pnref=story
http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2017/03/07/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-oil-spatter-on-the-sensor-problems/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:41:59 AM by R1-7D »

arthurbikemad

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 02:37:06 AM »
I call mine "old oily" but she is a beast, a frame eating beast, I just love this camera. I love my 5D4 but the 1DX2 this week for me has been a beast, with focus priority, BBF, Servo focus this thing just rips, it gets shots I never thought existed, oil issues aside I am proud to own such a camera, but, I get you 100% and my issues were posted on here the day the 1DX2 came out.

I don't go out to look for sensor issues on my 1DX2 or any other body tbh, if I see issues on my shots I will address them, but my (number three) 1DX2 has been problem free, I did have a couple of pre order bodies that had dust on the sensor, only seen at f22 but Canon replaced them from new (well Wex UK did after talking to CPS) my problem is I just can't part with the camera, I did early on say sod it, got my money back and moved on, but then a month without it I gave in and got another, eat some humble pie and went out shooting. Shame you've had such ongoing issues, I'd fear checking mine stopped down!

edit: I just remembered I did change the focus screen on mine as it had specs of dust on, they would not shift with a blower so rather the hassle I just changed it for a new one, dust gone from the viewfinder and life is good again. I hate dust, even one bit haha
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:45:13 AM by arthurbikemad »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 10:12:01 AM »
Some people will say this is normal for 1D cameras, or that people should learn to clean their own sensors. These people are full of BS. This is not something that should be considered normal, and cleaning your own 1DX Mark II sensor comes with a massive risk and a huge repair bill if anything goes wrong. Also, these damn cameras need cleaning 10x as often as any other Canon camera too, thus increasing risk. It only takes a few hundred shots on burst to get the sensors back to this condition.

As usual you are misinterpreting my opinion. My point is I agree it shouldn't happen, but in my experience dust makes more of an impact on my images and collects far faster so I have to clean the sensor myself anyway to get rid of that, in doing so I mitigate any 'issues' splatter might have.

I have run 1 series cameras for many years, some have had recalls over splatter, I have never sent them in because my regular cleaning cycle to take care of dust makes splatter a complete non issue.

I see my cameras as tools not faultless objets d'art. I don't care too much when they get scratched or dirty because of the way I perceive their function. I can understand people who see their camera differently but have little sympathy for people who treat industrial tools with any reverence.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 10:12:01 AM »

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 10:51:41 AM »
Scott, on the 1D4 I had there was oil and I bought the Visible Dust cleaning kit for oil to clean it.  I'd previously cleaned dust using their regular product on my 6D with decent results so I tackled the 1D4.  I went through so many swabbings I couldn't believe it and ended up with mediocre results.  Should I have been streak free or was I too fussy?  That experience makes me shy away from the 1DX2.

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

arthurbikemad

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 10:54:51 AM »
Don't look, i.e don't shoot f22 ;D I'm not poking fun at anyone's issues but I find ignorance is bliss  :-X

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 10:54:51 AM »