October 01, 2014, 06:46:01 PM

Author Topic: What should be my first dslr?  (Read 8844 times)

Ang829

What should be my first dslr?
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »
Hey everyone!
This is my first posting here and I'm not sure this is the right place to ask...
However, I'm looking to finally purchase what will be my first dslr and I need advice/opinions on what to get. I've been doing some research, reading reviews, etc. and I'm trying to decide between the canon t2i or the canon 7d. I know that they're kind of a gap in the price difference between the two but that doesn't matter to me. The thing is, I want thsi camera to be one that I can learn and practice on but I'm also a poor college student so I would like for this camera to last me a couple years at least before I upgrade. So what I want to know is, which camera should I get? I'm sure that it might be a little easier starting out with the t2i but is that a camera that I will outgrow quickly? And also, is the 7d really that much better? If so I'm willing to spend the extra money but at the same time I'm wondering if the 7d is going to be too complex for me as a beginner?
I would like to be able to photograph a variety of things such as: children, landscape/wildlife and action sports (i.e. motocross and kids sporting games).
Any advice/opinions/tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

-Ang

canon rumors FORUM

What should be my first dslr?
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: What should be my first dslr?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »
For the subjects you indicate, the 7D will be substantially better. If you'd expressed an interest in landscapes and portraits, the Rebel would do nicely, but for fast-moving subjects, the AF of the Rebel is limiting (that was the main reason I went from a T1i to a 7D).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:02:54 PM »

action sports (i.e. motocross and kids sporting games).

As Neuro has said, if you want to shoot your children's sports, go with the 7D.  Then after that start saving for a 70-200 lens.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:39:11 PM »
You do not mention lenses.  Getting good lenses will cost much more than a camera body.  I'd go with a Rebel refurb from the Canon store and a couple of good lenses.  You will keep and use good lenses for many years, but bodies come and go.

You will be wasting your money to buy a 7D and then get a cheapo lens.

smirkypants

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:50:41 PM »
The 7D is not too complex for someone just starting out. It has settings for people who know nothing and settings for people who are experts. If you know very little, you can set the camera on the beginner settings. As you learn more and grow you can learn to take advantage of its features. The great thing is that we live in the era of youtube and there are thousands of videos to help you learn and do more. All you need to do is take the time and put in the effort.

The 7D is the perfect camera for someone who doesn't know a lot but knows that he or she someday will. You really don't have to worry about outgrowing it. It's a great camera.

Ang829

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:11:13 PM »
Thanks for the great advice already. I was leaning towards the 7d in my heart. Now this may sound silly but I am a beginner so that's my excuse lol. What is the quality of the lens that are sold with the camera body, for instance the package deals at bestbuy? Or am I better off buying the camera body only and then buying a higher quality lens seperately? And if that's the route I should go, what is a good quality lens? And then in the near future I would like to purchase a good telephoto lens as well.

Thanks again!! This is my first time using this forum and I was pleasantly suprised with the amount of views and replies so quickly!  :)

Ang829

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:12:10 PM »
Oh and is bestbuy a good place to make my purchase or can anyone recommend other places? Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:12:10 PM »

papa-razzi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »
I would buy at B&H.  Most everything offers free shipping, they have a great return policy, ship fast, etc.  You won't get a better price at Best Buy.

For the 7D, I would get the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS.  This is the best general purpose lens for a crop body, and as good as an L lens.  A little pricey for a non-L lens, but worth every penny. 

The second lens I would get is the EF 50 f/1.8.  Around $100, and it will give you the learning experience of a fast lens to play with Depth of Field, something to shoot low-light, no flash, moving subjects. 

Those two lenses will cover you for a while as you move up the learning curve.
6D | 7D  | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM |
EF 35mm f/2 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8

ctmike

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »
Not to muddy the waters further, but a 60D might split the difference between the T2i and the 7D nicely, leaving you more flexibility for lenses. Just a thought... Good luck!

Leopard Lupus

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 11:40:11 PM »
I would place a vote for the 60D or 7D.
I have owned both, but now shoot with a 5D mk ll.
The 60D is a great camera to learn on. But if you are looking for durability, and for some that is the largest deciding factor, the 7D is a great option. The AF points on the 7D are wonderful, but the 60D isn't too far behind.
Camera bodies are important, but so is glass. Having a simple kit lens may leave you frustrated as they tend to get boring for some shooters.
You mentioned you are on a budget: Adding the 50mm f/1.8 ( $120 here in the states ) with addition to your kit lens, is an awesome starting point. That gives you a fast 1.8 as well as a zoom and prime lens combo.
As mentioned by papa-razzi, go for something other than Best Buy. They sell cameras, but the half of the information listed in their photography section is mislabeled, not to mention returning with their policy if your item is defected is a massive pain.
Personally, I either shop local or at B&H online. B&H has become my favorite lens retailer, as they carry 10x a larger selection plus a wide variety of brands that accept the Canon mount.
Let us know what you decide on!

WildBill

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 11:43:03 PM »
I love the combination of my 7D with my EF-S 15-85.  Good IQ, affordable and a great walk around lens.  The 17-55 is also a great choice, (better for low light situations) though more expensive.  And I second the recommendation for B&H. Adorama is also a good reliable dealer. Best of luck with your decision.

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 01:11:33 AM »
The other question one would ask is how soon do you need the camera?  if you can wait a new Rebel camera will probably be announced next week and since teh 7d is old there is speculation that it will get announced this year.  If you decide to go for the t2i i'd wait until next week to see if canon announces a newer version of the t2i.

But i second other people's advice that the lens are more important than the body.  If you have the cash i'd recommend the 35mm f2 ($350 i think) over the 50mm 1.8 as the 50 is a little "long" that is to say zoomy on a crop.
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 05:36:03 AM »
I'd also recommend going with B&H they are very good
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 05:36:03 AM »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 07:16:34 AM »
Thanks for the great advice already. I was leaning towards the 7d in my heart. Now this may sound silly but I am a beginner so that's my excuse lol. What is the quality of the lens that are sold with the camera body, for instance the package deals at bestbuy? Or am I better off buying the camera body only and then buying a higher quality lens seperately? And if that's the route I should go, what is a good quality lens? And then in the near future I would like to purchase a good telephoto lens as well.

Thanks again!! This is my first time using this forum and I was pleasantly suprised with the amount of views and replies so quickly!  :)
places to buy from:

bhphotovideo, adorama are reputable camera dealers.

Choose lenses first.  A good lens on an entry level body will produce better results than a cheapo lens on a 7D.

Given the wide variety of subjects, you will probably want to get more than one lens. A good lens to begin with would be the 15-85 or the 17-55 f/2.8 or the tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I think the 15-85 might be sold with the camera.

Given your choice of subjects:

landscape: general purpose zoom (15-85, 17-55)
wildlife, motorcross, sport:  some kind of telephoto, e.g. one of Canon's 70-200mm lenses.
kids: a fast prime, e.g. 50mm f/1.4, sigma 30mm f/1.4, canon's 35mm f/2 or 35mm f/1.4.

Getting some good lenses will cost $, but this is the right emphasis. Figure out how much you're prepared to spend, and put most of your money into lenses.

dmills

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 07:49:13 AM »
For me, I went with the 60d as my first DSLR, and spent money on lenses. My first was the 10-22, a fantastic first lens actually, as it teaches the important lesson of zooming with your feet, while still giving you amazing wide flexibility. Not long after, I got the 24-105 f/4. About a year later, I got the 70-200 2.8 2, and am likely going to be getting the 85 1.2 before I buy another body. I'm really happy with the 60d, and what I get from a new lens is more than I feel like I'd get from a better body.
Photos | 5D3 | 60D | GoPro Hero3 | 8-15 | 10-22 | 24 1.4 II | 24-105 | 85 1.2 II | 70-200 2.8 IS II | x2 III | 600EX-RT x2 + ST-E3 | lighting accessories, umbrellas, etc

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 07:49:13 AM »