July 22, 2014, 04:32:23 PM

Author Topic: 5D X or Mark III Specs & Release Date? [CR1]  (Read 37926 times)

KT

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX killer?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »
I would LOVE to be wrong, but how could this camera be real?  What differentiates it from the 1DX?  (ie. is there $4100 in difference?)

61pt AF?  Smells like a 1DX
6.9FPS?  Pretty powerful to pump 22MP through on just a Digic 5
$2700?  Why would I ever pay $6800 for a 1DX aside from [arguably] a little ISO help on the top end?
You have to remember that the 5D X will be released on 2012 and needs to remain competitive spec-wise till 2015, they can't afford to cripple it right out of the gate with a hit-or-miss 11-point AF that was already out-dated around 2003. No one will buy such a camera.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: 1DX killer?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »

snyder17315

Re: 5D X or Mark III Specs & Release Date? [CR1]
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 11:18:13 AM »
If these rumored specs are true (and let's assume for a minute they are), this is very interesting indeed.

Now, even  if this new 5D whatever packs all those specs it will NOT canabalize a large portion of 1DX sales. Pros who need to buy the 1DX are going to buy it regardless of the existence of this camera . When your job, paycheck and reputation depend upon every photo you take you need the reliability and build-quality the 1DX offers. You can't afford to chance things with a "lesser" camera.

This would also be a tremendous move on Canon's part if they can pack those specs into that price point (again, let's assume it's accurate), because now you've given two large user base segments a reason to spend more money. 7D users can now feel "comfortable" adding a reasonably priced full-frame camera to their kits with the improved AF and fps; and 5D owners can now upgrade to a model with justifiable improvements abound. Canon has sold a lot of 7/5Ds and offering a new camera that could appeal to both camps (and possibly negate a competitor's offering) seems like a win-win-win scenario. There's clearly a lot more profit to be had going that route than selling 1DXs.

All that aside, the spec sheet on this rumor reads like a wishlist to many I'm sure (myself included). The only thing I'm skeptical of is the price-AF-fps ratio. That seems like an awful lot of camera for only $2700.

nicopol

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 11:18:36 AM »
Yes the specs seem to good to be true BUT,

A camera of this magnitude could go as kind of a (how do you say that in english) "stigma"
(not sure if that sounds right, but its certainly the German word for what I meant ;))

I mean, a symbol of the almost ever perfect camera for everybody.

Everybody, except for the few tech-nerds, we are, who are always seeking the newest tec ;) or professional photographers who might have more specialized needs, like 36MP or 12fps.

Every average user who loves photography, saved up some money and decides to finally buy a really good body that will satisfy his photographic needs in any way, also almost 80% of the professionals who do portrait work - They all can go with this camera.

In a photo-store you can say to almost every buyer who has the 2700$ - "Go for this!", it will do most likely everything you'll want it to do in the next years.

I, as an ambitiously hobby photographer, who loves lowlight, landscape and portrait can say that the 5DII was almost the perfect camera except for 3 points:

-weather sealing
-AF
-FPS

It seems these points might have been corrected with the next model and so I think we finally arrived at a point where you can say, that this camera, as it is stated there, can claim the title:

"the uncompromising, absolute perfect camera for 80% of all photographers today"

and if you can get that message into the heads of many peoples, they will repeat it for many many years.

•Announcement February 28

If I were in marketing, I'd announce on February 29th to signify the leap forward in technology.  ;)

Love that post :D

also I fear many did not understand what you meant by the first time ;)

Tijn

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »
This $2700 price tag...
...is that with 3 lenses included? Couldn't be... unless it's a lot of fantastic plastic...

Otter

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 11:20:56 AM »
It seems unlikely that canon would put the same processor in the mark III or 5 X as they have in the 4 year old mark ii when the digi 5 exists.  I just can't see that happening, it supposed to be a new version of one of there hottest sellin camera, not a iPhone 4G to 4GS kind of upgrade.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »
If these specs are true, then it seems that there won't be anything coming from Canon aimed straight at studio photographers... I guess, they'll finally make me sell my car for a MF camera...

What more would you want from a 35mm digital camera body?  More MP?  Just curious what your ideal camera would be for the 5d "studio" camera?
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

snyder17315

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »
This $2700 price tag...
...is that with 3 lenses included? Couldn't be... unless it's a lot of fantastic plastic...

Obviously not. That line was referring to the ANNOUNCEMENT of three new lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 11:23:58 AM »

I think we are looking at two different cameras, one 5D x or mark 3 and one high mp camera to compete with d800, first to be announced in February and the other in Photokina. It seems quite reasonable to me that Canon announces the 5D x/mk3 in February and then look at d800 market to finalize the high mp camera around Photokina...  In the mean time, I do not know what camera would Nikon have to compete with 5D x/mk3.

Even though I totally agree with Neuro on his statement above on corporate goal being financial (and anything else being means to the end), I also feel 1D X and upcoming 5D specs are kind of unusually close. Perhaps there is more to 1D X than we know...

Emeyerphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Erik Meyer Photography
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 11:33:17 AM »
If these specs are true, then it seems that there won't be anything coming from Canon aimed straight at studio photographers... I guess, they'll finally make me sell my car for a MF camera...

How is this not aimed at studio photographers?  Just because of the AF points, frame speed or not high enough MP?  I think this is a great camera for studio photographers.  If you made great images with a 5d mk2 with 21.1 MP why can't you make great images with a camera that will probably have better AF and a better Digic 5 image processor? 

Sure, when I am in my studio I don't shoot 6.5fps with my camera (40D), but I don't have to in order to create the image. 
5d Mk2, Canon 40d (backup), 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »

How is this not aimed at studio photographers?  Just because of the AF points, frame speed or not high enough MP?  I think this is a great camera for studio photographers.  If you made great images with a 5d mk2 with 21.1 MP why can't you make great images with a camera that will probably have better AF and a better Digic 5 image processor? 

Sure, when I am in my studio I don't shoot 6.5fps with my camera (40D), but I don't have to in order to create the image.

+1.  This camera probably wont please everyone and their needs, but really, what more would you want?  a 7D pixel density so you can hear everyone complain that Canon has given up on high IQ?
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
Now, even  if this new 5D whatever packs all those specs it will NOT canabalize a large portion of 1DX sales. Pros who need to buy the 1DX are going to buy it regardless of the existence of this camera . When your job, paycheck and reputation depend upon every photo you take you need the reliability and build-quality the 1DX offers. You can't afford to chance things with a "lesser" camera.

I've tried to make this point in the past, but it always seems to fall on deaf ears. Take a look at the sidelines of any major sporting event. Those photogs packs multiple 1-series bodies attached to insanely long, fast, expensive glass. Cost isn't an issue for these guys, and they probably outnumber the hobbyists that might potentially buy a 1Dx by a large margin.

With all this talk about how such a 5DIII would cannabilize 1Dx sales, is any privy to the actual sales figures, or is this merely internet tech-geek speculation? In other words, how many 5DII bodies were sold over the years vs. the 1DsIII, and how many 5D bodies were sold compared to the 1DsII?

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »
Well, I still think the 5DIII will have to be a game changer for many, if not most, current owners to upgrade.

Yes, Canon will sell lots to those that are using the 5Dc and skipped the 5DII plus those that have been holding off for the last year or so.

I happen to like my 5DII and it is way better than I could have imagined. Compared to P&S digital cameras, which became my only cameras since about 2000, the focus system on the 5DII is way better. The 5DII focus system seems to be no worse than my EOS 620, which also worked just fine.   

Unless used prices hold and the 5DIII is an order of magnitude better, I don't see a reason to move up.

Even if the implement the 7D AF system... what else will Canon throw in? I couldn't justify selling the 5DII at a loss compared to what I paid and more than likely paying an additional $1500 or so just for the 7D focus system.

Canon will have to improve the sensor (which isn't necessarily more MP), give me weathersealing at least on par with the 7D and give me some type of remote flash commander at a minimum. And even then its iffy because I don't *need* it. Want? Sure, but not need.

I think Canon would have to deliver close to the rumored spec list and keep the price to no more than 1/2 of 1DX MSRP for these things to fly off the shelves. I bet that Canon knows this.

I don't think my observations are particularly unique.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

Steb

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 11:48:11 AM »
It seems unlikely that canon would put the same processor in the mark III or 5 X as they have in the 4 year old mark ii when the digi 5 exists.  I just can't see that happening, it supposed to be a new version of one of there hottest sellin camera, not a iPhone 4G to 4GS kind of upgrade.

The rumor said
  • 61pt AF with DIGIC 4
  • DIGIC 5 (Doesn’t say DIGIC 5+)
So it just means dedicated core for AF. Looks like the same AF system as in the 1D-X.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 11:48:11 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »

Spec looks GREAT  :o, but then it's CR1 :-\
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

BDD

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »
I hope most of these specs are spot on. Though, as some one mentioned before me I would expect the latest sensor the Digic 5+. And also...what about the native ISO? Will the 5D3 have the same range as the 1D-X? It's rumoured to be borrowing the 61-pt AF system.

And $2700 USD? I'd be happy with that. Though I thought the price would be in the low end of the $3000-$3900 range.

Feb 28th announcement date? Canon better announce the "5D3 or 5D-X" this month. Assuming Nikon is announcing their D800 next week. I don't think Canon wants to give Nikon the jump in this market segment (or any segment).This could prove to be a very interesting month for hi-end compact DSLRs.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:58:14 AM by BDD »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »