March 28, 2017, 10:14:28 AM

Author Topic: EOS M5 - first impressions  (Read 41132 times)

dlee13

• Rebel T6i
    • My Website
Re: EOS M5 - first impressions
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2017, 12:47:40 AM »
I got the M5  ;D I managed to get the 15-45mm kit with the EF adapter for only $1367 AUD which was cheaper than the body alone at most places. This is not a grey camera either so I'm really happy.

So a little over 24 hours with the camera and I haven't got to shoot with it much, but I'm already madly in love with it!!!

EVF – The evf is definitely oversaturated which will take some time to get used to (still hoping it's able to be changed with a patch firmware update), although I don't mind it. In ways I still prefer an OVF but I know in certain situations the EVF will definitely have its benefits.

Autofocus – This was one of the main reasons I wanted this body and it doesn't disappoint. The tracking helps me when shooting wide open since I'm quite unsteady. The only thing I need to figure out is how to get BBF working on this body.
Yeah I saw that Michaels in Melb had it at that price. Good deal well done. Hoping it will drop a bit later in the year. Thinking of it as a back up on my next trip. Interested to hear your further thoughts once you have played with it a bit.

Here are some more shots from me playing around with the M5

So far my experience with the M5 is still all positive. Although the EF lenses perform great and almost like native, I like the EF-M lenses better as I can use them with continues focus which helps for shooting close up portraits wide open. When trying to use my EF lenses, the Canon 35mm f2 IS performs well on the M5, although it can be quite annoying if you leave continuous AF on. I find it just keeps focusing at long distances and is quite noisy were as the EF-M lenses are practically silent.
The IQ is really great, the highest I've shot at is ISO 4000 and I was pleasantly surprised by the results. It wasn't as clean as my 6D, but for a crop sensor it was definitely impressive.
6D - Canon EF 35mm f2 IS - Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX DG HSM - Canon 100mm f2.8L IS - Canon 17-40mm f4L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2017, 12:47:40 AM »

BasXcanon

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2017, 08:05:44 AM »
Even the Angry Photographer likes the touchscreen of the Eos M5!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gCvrN73LpE

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2017, 08:38:01 AM »

With a viewing figure in the single digits it appears nobody cares what he has to say, current view count is at 6, why would anybody subject themselves to his 'opinions'?
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Khufu

• Canon 70D
    • Drew K Forrest Art & Photography FB
Re: M5: 2-3 seconds shutter delay in dark scenes (with manual flash and focus)
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2017, 01:32:38 PM »

This is what you are missing. The volume of the 80D, according to the dimensions listed, is 1.84x greater than that of the M5, which is what is usually described as 84% larger.   So, when someone says that x is 84% larger than y, it means that x is 1.84 times greater than y, or 1.84 ys will fit into the volume of 1 x.

Unfortunately, percentages are very frequently used in a misleading way to overstate differences.

Trying not to be an arse here but this is kinda' one of my pet hates (along with Americans not realising "could care less" means the absolute opposite of what they're trying to communicate) ...and you do seem quite into technicalities yourself sooo:

84% greater = 1.84x "the size of"
1.84x "greater than" = 184% greater = 2.84x "the size of"

2 x "greater" = 3 x "the size of"

Sorry ;)

I've seen similar things on educational websites, miscommunicating the size of astrological bodies and units... Bad internets! Bad physicists!

5D3 // EOS M2 & SL1 // Sigma 24/1.8 & 50/1.4 // Canon EF 400/5.6L & 100/2 // Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 // SONY HDR FX1000  // Zoom H1 // Paints, Pens & Pencils!... USA Strat, Mexican Tele, Warwick Thumb 5 ;)

takesome1

• 5DSR
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2017, 01:44:52 PM »

With a viewing figure in the single digits it appears nobody cares what he has to say, current view count is at 6, why would anybody subject themselves to his 'opinions'?

Apparantly out of curiosity, since you took a peek.
He is almost in the triple digits now.

AlanF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2017, 06:12:53 PM »

This is what you are missing. The volume of the 80D, according to the dimensions listed, is 1.84x greater than that of the M5, which is what is usually described as 84% larger.   So, when someone says that x is 84% larger than y, it means that x is 1.84 times greater than y, or 1.84 ys will fit into the volume of 1 x.

Unfortunately, percentages are very frequently used in a misleading way to overstate differences.

Trying not to be an arse here but this is kinda' one of my pet hates (along with Americans not realising "could care less" means the absolute opposite of what they're trying to communicate) ...and you do seem quite into technicalities yourself sooo:

Sorry ;)

I've seen similar things on educational websites, miscommunicating the size of astrological bodies and units... Bad internets! Bad physicists!

Technically, you are correct. But, overwhelmingly, as much as it grates,  "times greater" is used to mean the same as "times as great". Scanlon http://www.jpscanlan.com/vignettes/timeshigherissues.html has analysed the frequency of the "incorrect" usage  of "times greater" relative to the "correct" "times as great". Even in scientific journals, the "incorrect" usage predominates. For example, pointedly, in that esteemed journal The Lancet, the "incorrect" usage is 35 times more frequent. So, I am afraid, arsedom is thrust under you in the popular parlance stakes and the illiterates are in the ascendancy.
5D IV, 5DS R, 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X, 400mm DO II, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM, EF 70-200/4 IS, EF 24-105, 15-85, 100-400 II, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye

slclick

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2017, 06:20:44 PM »
I'm seeing one of two things:

A. Nothing but subpar reviews in the first few days/weeks, then a swelling of positive even glowing reviews start to bubble forth.

B. There are an even number of good and bad reviews (like for anything) and YMMV.

I tend to lean towards A. Experience and patience (like for anything) lends more to the truth than knee jerk reactions.

16-400L on 22.3 effective megapixels full-frame

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2017, 06:20:44 PM »

dlee13

• Rebel T6i
    • My Website
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2017, 06:51:58 PM »

A. Nothing but subpar reviews in the first few days/weeks, then a swelling of positive even glowing reviews start to bubble forth.

B. There are an even number of good and bad reviews (like for anything) and YMMV.

I tend to lean towards A. Experience and patience (like for anything) lends more to the truth than knee jerk reactions.

I would go with A for sure. On paper the M5 may not seem that great but once you use it, it's hard not to fall in love with it. I've had mine for a week and I struggle to find anything I don't like about the body itself.
6D - Canon EF 35mm f2 IS - Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX DG HSM - Canon 100mm f2.8L IS - Canon 17-40mm f4L

Act444

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2017, 10:02:58 PM »
Yes, but what about the complaint over shutter lag, specifically with flash in low light? Of course, if you don't do that kind of work (or shooting), then it's a non-factor, but for those that even occasionally find themselves in such a situation, that's something bound to be noticed...

My M10 has that lag too. But now that I think about it, I've never actually used it in a real-world ultra-low-light situation where I had to use flash (probably due to my being aware of this limitation). I go with the bulkier, heavier option (DSLR).

I would have hoped that the M5, being larger and more expensive than the M10, would be better, but I guess not.

slclick

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2017, 10:05:07 PM »

I would go with A for sure. On paper the M5 may not seem that great but once you use it, it's hard not to fall in love with it. I've had mine for a week and I struggle to find anything I don't like about the body itself.

Since I cannot find one in the area where I live, can you tell me if it's anything like the GX5 for large hands (meaning it's is not a good idea) or does the ergonomics lend for larger hands to still feel comfortable. fwiw, I use a 5D3 with an L plate. It feels right.
16-400L on 22.3 effective megapixels full-frame

dlee13

• Rebel T6i
    • My Website
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2017, 10:35:11 PM »
Yes, but what about the complaint over shutter lag, specifically with flash in low light? Of course, if you don't do that kind of work (or shooting), then it's a non-factor, but for those that even occasionally find themselves in such a situation, that's something bound to be noticed...

My M10 has that lag too. But now that I think about it, I've never actually used it in a real-world ultra-low-light situation where I had to use flash (probably due to my being aware of this limitation). I go with the bulkier, heavier option (DSLR).

I would have hoped that the M5, being larger and more expensive than the M10, would be better, but I guess not.

I haven't experienced any shutter lag yet, but I also haven't shot in low light with flash. Is this using the on camera flash or with off camera? Do you know if this issue happens with both MF and AF? Although I love the IQ and AF on the M5, if I do need to do any flash work in low light I would still be using my 6D.

The main lag that annoys me is reviewing images. It's always several seconds for the camera to load and preview the images compared to my 6D. This is the same on my M3 and annoying, but definitely not a dealbreaker.

I did hate the saturation of the EVF at first but I've become used to it now.

Since I cannot find one in the area where I live, can you tell me if it's anything like the GX5 for large hands (meaning it's is not a good idea) or does the ergonomics lend for larger hands to still feel comfortable. fwiw, I use a 5D3 with an L plate. It feels right.

Yeah it's very similar in size to the GX5 and feels good in the hand. I have fairly large hands but don't feel like it's too small for me. It is certainly light though, I carry it everywhere now with the 22mm f2 attached.

dlee13

• Rebel T6i
    • My Website
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2017, 07:15:37 AM »
For anyone interested, I've posted a brief review of my first week with the M5. I got about 15 images I've taken and it's not a technical reviews, more from a casual shooters POV.

http://www.photosbydlee.com/first-week-canon-eos-m5/#more-2057

Khufu

• Canon 70D
    • Drew K Forrest Art & Photography FB
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2017, 07:45:03 AM »

Sorry ;)

Technically, you are correct. But, overwhelmingly, as much as it grates,  "times greater" is used to mean the same as "times as great". Scanlon http://www.jpscanlan.com/vignettes/timeshigherissues.html has analysed the frequency of the "incorrect" usage  of "times greater" relative to the "correct" "times as great". Even in scientific journals, the "incorrect" usage predominates. For example, pointedly, in that esteemed journal The Lancet, the "incorrect" usage is 35 times more frequent. So, I am afraid, arsedom is thrust under you in the popular parlance stakes and the illiterates are in the ascendancy.

That was an interesting read (what I've read of it), but it's not the same argument, as became disappointingly apparent as I read on up to and beyond the table of statistics; these figures are based solely on usage of the terms and not correct or incorrect usage of each term! *sigh*

The author has chosen, based on the advice of various guidance articles, to refer to those instances using "as great as" et al as "correct" and branding "greater than" et al as "incorrect", regardless of whether the terms are used correctly or incorrectly in context... I can honestly say that I would personally use the latter terms at literal face value, correctly, which would then render it as a statistic in the "incorrect" camp. Yes, I would say travelling 300 miles is 2 x further than 100 miles, because it is, but because I didn't say "three times as far" it's "incorrect" terminology, which is what has been considered here, NOT incorrect usage ;)

THERE IS HOPE!! :D

It's a shame though, this article started so well, then produced really stupid, confusing data set using specific terminology (ie. "incorrect") itself which clearly shows it's an agenda-driven piece where the irony is so sticky and disgusting and, eugh...

I'm reeeally interested in the data that this article almost suggested it was going to present though ;)
5D3 // EOS M2 & SL1 // Sigma 24/1.8 & 50/1.4 // Canon EF 400/5.6L & 100/2 // Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 // SONY HDR FX1000  // Zoom H1 // Paints, Pens & Pencils!... USA Strat, Mexican Tele, Warwick Thumb 5 ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2017, 07:45:03 AM »

Ed V

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Ed Vatza
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2017, 11:35:50 AM »
Just returned my EOS M5 w/ the 15-45 kit lens for exchange. The camera seemed fine but the lens was the softest lens I have ever encountered. I know it is a kit lens and I don't expect it to be as sharp as my L glass but this glass was way too soft for me. Hopefully the new kit will be better and the 22 2.0 whenever it arrives will be even sharper.

Ironically I purchased two M5 kits with one for my wife and one for me. I let her pick her camera first. She got the good one and me... well I lost.

Anyway it is on it's way back to B&H. First thing I ever returned to them.

Ed
I am a photographer. I simply seek to record life as it is. That is all I do. It is what I am.

5DMkIII - Rokinon 12mm Fisheye - Canon 28mm - Canon 35mm L - Canon 40mm Pancake - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Canon 50mm L - Canon 85mm - Canon 135mm L & EOS M5 - 22mm - 15-45mm

bholliman

• 5DSR
    • [color=blue]Flick[/color][color=red]r[/color]
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2017, 05:25:35 PM »
After 2 months of regular use, I'm still very impressed with this little camera.  Over the weekend, I tried it for birds with my 300 f/2.8 II lens, both in flight and perched birds from a blind.  I didn't have a much success with BIF (I didn't really expect to), but it did great for perched birds.

Male Downy Woodpecker

2017_02_05_124141-1501 by Bryan Holliman
on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:28:09 PM by bholliman »
5DSr, M5
EF Lenses: 50mm STM, 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS II; EF-M lenses:  22mm f/2, 15-45mm, 55-200mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68928679@N05/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2017, 05:25:35 PM »