July 22, 2014, 05:47:14 PM

Author Topic: ROUND TWO - Can someone debunk this Peter Lik picture... PLEASE!!!  (Read 11753 times)

Jackie Chansky

If the previous one didn't get you to sit up straight and take notice of the lies, maybe this one will. 

Is any of this really an issue of composites, or technical prowess?  NO, it's about being honest and truthful about what you do.  If you want to add a moon, or heck even the sun right next to it - who cares, but have the common decency to at least say you did it because you liked it that way and wanted to present it that way or (heaven forbid) you did it for artistic reasons - just don't lie to me about it, that's the part that tics me off.

Lik just released this to his collector base yesterday:

Peter has finally released his first photograph of the year!! I am excited to introduce to you Peter Lik’s  newest master class edition, Moonlight Reflections. It looks like something out of this world. This stunning photograph was taken in La Jolla, California at just the right time and mood. Moonlight Reflections exude a romantic ambiance in beautiful tones of cream, gold, and sienna. The colors are very bold yet the smooth glow of the ocean and passionate essence in the sky creates a calm feeling. Through streaks of whispering clouds, the radiating Moon gravitates you to a dreamlike state.

canon rumors FORUM

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: ROUND TWO - Can someone debunk this Peter Lik picture... PLEASE!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:19:57 PM »
There's a reflection/halo of the Moon on the clouds right above it, why isn't there one on the clouds below it?  ???
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Sunnystate

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »
Really embarrassing quality.
Likely Color Efex Burnt Sienna filter plus glut of clumsy HDR like effects really makes this so unique, another million dollar picture...
Interesting that moon is wider than its reflections on the water.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:40:37 PM by Sunnystate »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »
So is he saying he did these in one shot or just implying that he did?
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:53:22 PM »
1.  Apparently, the moon is now within the earth's atmosphere, because there are clouds behind the moon.

2.  The bottom third (the water) appears to me to be from a completely different photo.  Probably a sunset shot.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

steven63

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »

His pics are artistic interpretations.  That should be clear to anybody who ever picked up a camera.  I see nothing wrong with what he is doing.  As long as he doesn't hold that the photo isn't touched up or that things aren't added or 'rearranged.'

arussarts

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 02:21:22 PM »
Seriously?  What is wrong with that guy...?

When I first saw his other photography, and I use that term loosely, I thought it was just over saturated.  I thought he was a decent (but totally unoriginal) photographer who had figured out how to sell it.  But this new moon stuff is a joke.  It makes you revisit the question of authenticity within his entire body of work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 02:21:22 PM »

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »
Distance seams off for me.  for the height of the celestial body in the sky, I expect less of a bright reflection towards the horizon or trail or what ever you want to call it.  for the reflected light in the water, I would expect the body closer to the horizon. 

on side note, I don't mind people being creative and using photography as a base for art.  I think what rankles a lot of people is the description tend to imply that this is more of a captured image than a processed image. 

richy

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »
I do like a lot of his older work, this I am not a fan of. I agree with the OP that not stating that a picture is a composite or whatever is not that far away from an outright lie and is wrong in of itself. This picture seems considerably more suspect than the first picture with respect to it being an unmolested picture.
I don't find the colour as suspect (although it is fugly) as I do the composition, it just doesn't present itself as a single image. It feels like a chop shop job of 3 different images.
So why does it matter. As I said, I like his work, I've been visiting his galleries on and off for years. He used to take great pride in stating the shot details with every image next to the print, camera, film, lens, exposure etc. Quietly switching to composite images etc and not outright stating it (when you made such a point of stating it before, like queens early no synth album stickers) is cheap.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »
I think I agree with everyone who takes issue with even implying that it's something other than what it is.  There should not be any rules or limitations put on art... and the artist need not explain him/herself or the techniques used but it's not acceptable to lie about.... either stay silent or be honest.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »
Hmmm the moon seems to be behind some clouds (makes sense) but in front of others (doesn't make sense unless something very horrible is about to occur to the Earth).

Anyway if you like his stuff and he calls is pure art then awesome but yeah why does he ramble on about being a master photographer who spends years tracking down the proper conditions and then snapping one click with trembling hands when that's now very clearly not the case. Just show your work and say nothing or don't make stuff up. Some of his stuff looks single shot and real, lots of it, so why then spoil it with such ridiculously worded deceptions for a few photos that are altered? And the FB thing where someone else's image got stuck into his sample gallery or something sounds sketchy too. Why do such a boneheaded thing when you have plenty of your own stuff? It's almost like he is having fun testing waters for sport.

But when someone implies he waited for a magical one click moment and then, at the same time, goes on about hsi $1 mil photo sales, it seems a bit unseemly, when if he presented them for what they are or even simply said nothing to imply/hint anything false, nobody would care and he'd be cool and more power to him for having the smarts and whatnot to get his mega sales.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:35:12 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 03:57:11 PM »
Cut the guy some slack.  He probably wrote a nice honest description, but he has a poor command of the English language and it was edited in such a way that the true meaning was altered.  The copy-editors markup looked like this:

These This stunning photographs was taken in La Jolla, California at just the right times and moods.

:o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

loosecanon

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 04:00:42 PM »
Who gives a flying f%&K whether he doctors, manipulates, combines or blends frames to come up with his shots?  I certainly don't.  You either like his stuff or you don't. You like the guy or you don't.
With all due respect some of the posters on this thread need to get out more / take more photographs / be more personally creative / get a girlfriend (delete as applicable).
...and don't bother to vote this post down, I used a trashmail address to set up a new account so as not to have some highly offended wan*er tryign to damage my karma.
Just my 2 cents worth.  Have a nice day and take some images.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 04:00:42 PM »

Gothmoth

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 04:16:01 PM »
pathetic.... and i don´t mean his captions.

Jackie Chansky

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »

His pics are artistic interpretations.  That should be clear to anybody who ever picked up a camera.  I see nothing wrong with what he is doing.  As long as he doesn't hold that the photo isn't touched up or that things aren't added or 'rearranged.'

I think I like Ansel's take on it, even he understood the issue of integrity and especially when it comes to photography as ART:

"No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit."
Ansel Adams

"Not everybody trusts paintings but people believe photographs."
Ansel Adams

Dear Ansel, we soul photographers will always miss you. :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »