December 15, 2017, 06:54:37 PM

Author Topic: Surface Pro and PC Workflow (and Happy Holidays!)  (Read 8368 times)

JPAZ

• EOS 5DS R
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
Re: Surface Pro and PC Workflow (and Happy Holidays!)
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 12:53:24 AM »
Just ordered the Dell XPS 13.........

The SP 4 is great but battery life and ports are a limitation.  By the time you add the 0.6 pound typing cover to the 1.7 something pound tablet, it really only is about 0.5 pounds lighter than the laptops. And, if I'd want to bring an external spare battery, the weight factor disappears. The Surface Book is great but the setup I would put together is over $2000 and is the heaviest contender.

That brought it down to a laptop versus convertible decision.  I've had good luck with Sony Vaio laptops and even though Sony got out of the PC business, they sold the Vaio line to another firm.  The Vaio "flip" looks really nice but is really expensive for the specifications.  Looked at the HP Spectre x360.  Very nice but I have had terrible experiences with support both personally and at my job with HP machines so I just could not do it.  The Lenovo Yoga 910 was a close contender.  It is a very nice machine and has the bonus of being a tablet / convertible.  Actually, the HP, Yoga and XPS 13 are all very close in specifications and price and weight, but the screen resolution of the XPS beat the others.  So in the end, that sealed the decision.

So, it should arrive in about a week.  I opted for the i7-7500 with 16 gb RAM and the 256 HDD.  Then I'll go through the "pleasure" of deleting the bloatware, loading the software I'll use and setting up thoings the way I like..........

Anyone else think it is ironic that I pay monthly for Adobe CC but refuse to use Office 365 (still using Office 2010)?

Happy New Year to all!

5d Mkiii; Eos-M5 and too many lenses; 430 EXii, 430 EXiii-RT and a whole lot of stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 12:53:24 AM »

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 05:03:26 AM »
Just ordered the Dell XPS 13.........

The SP 4 is great but battery life and ports are a limitation.  By the time you add the 0.6 pound typing cover to the 1.7 something pound tablet, it really only is about 0.5 pounds lighter than the laptops. And, if I'd want to bring an external spare battery, the weight factor disappears. The Surface Book is great but the setup I would put together is over $2000 and is the heaviest contender.

That brought it down to a laptop versus convertible decision.  I've had good luck with Sony Vaio laptops and even though Sony got out of the PC business, they sold the Vaio line to another firm.  The Vaio "flip" looks really nice but is really expensive for the specifications.  Looked at the HP Spectre x360.  Very nice but I have had terrible experiences with support both personally and at my job with HP machines so I just could not do it.  The Lenovo Yoga 910 was a close contender.  It is a very nice machine and has the bonus of being a tablet / convertible.  Actually, the HP, Yoga and XPS 13 are all very close in specifications and price and weight, but the screen resolution of the XPS beat the others.  So in the end, that sealed the decision.

So, it should arrive in about a week.  I opted for the i7-7500 with 16 gb RAM and the 256 HDD.  Then I'll go through the "pleasure" of deleting the bloatware, loading the software I'll use and setting up thoings the way I like..........

Anyone else think it is ironic that I pay monthly for Adobe CC but refuse to use Office 365 (still using Office 2010)?

Happy New Year to all!

Dell makes downloading just the drivers so easy...Have you thought about a clean install rather than deleting the bloatware?  You can have all the drivers ready beforehand...
Just a thought.
Happy New Year.  Sounds like a good editing machine.  Enjoy!

lion rock

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 05:09:03 AM »
Glad you chose the Dell.  You may consider adding additional warranty.  I work for a uni and purchases with Dell carries warranties that I don't have to bring a computer to a service center had I bought from a retail store.  That entails a half hour drive or more and return to pick up, if service can't be done right away.
I may have to stay on the phone with Dell for 1/2 hour or more, but I can do other things while waiting.  If they determine there is a defective hardware, they'll overnight the parts to you, or have a service rep come within 48 hours.
That's what I like over Lenovo, Fujitsu or HP.
enjoy your XPS, wished I had chosen it over the Pro4.
Happy new year.
-r

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 05:09:03 AM »