November 24, 2017, 04:34:21 AM

Author Topic: Images & Specifications of Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II Leak Out  (Read 19021 times)

pokerz

• EOS M5
Re: Images & Specifications of Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II Leak Out
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 05:05:09 AM »
If it fits it ships (C) USPS.
I.e. if this camera fits in my pocket - it ships to my home address :) Very looking forward to it. The only question is how usable the f/4.9 at the tele end... Don't care about 4k-less. None of my TVs and projectors are 4k yet. Usable 1080p is definitely better than a crappy 4k.
True, and just refilm everything once your tv and projectors are upgraded.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 05:05:09 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 06:34:04 AM »
If it fits it ships (C) USPS.
I.e. if this camera fits in my pocket - it ships to my home address :) Very looking forward to it. The only question is how usable the f/4.9 at the tele end... Don't care about 4k-less. None of my TVs and projectors are 4k yet. Usable 1080p is definitely better than a crappy 4k.
True, and just refilm everything once your tv and projectors are upgraded.

Yeah, because when you pop a DVD into a Blu-Ray player and watch it on an HDTV, it's just totally, horribly unwatchable.   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

bart13

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 06:47:00 AM »
What is the need for having 4k in a camera like this? Serious question, because I would imagine any ILC would be better suited then this.

Why?  Because iPhone.

Nice contribution!

Some reasons:
- Future proofing : You or your clients may not need 4k now but soon they will. I hate cutting in old sd footage. I will hate cutting in 1080.
- Room for post : Stabilizing footage without loss. This edit style is quite hot atm and it benefits greatly from 4k since there is alot of zooming, panning, rotating and cropping in post. https://vimeo.com/88224399 You can see some of the shots are not holding up.
- 1 camera 2 shots : Nice to have for interviews. Shoot 4k and deliver in hd so you can shoot a wide and tight shot at the same time.
- Often clients ask for still so they can make gfx like posters. 1080px is not alot to work with.
- It sells

The question wasn't, "Why 4K?"  But thanks for answering that unasked question anyway!  Unless you think this is a camera intended for professionals, interviews, and such. Do you routinely or even occasionally use a point-n-shoot to capture video footage for clients?

The question is highlighted above, and since the camera in question is a P&S, and smartphones are gutting the P&S market, it would seem quite reasonable to include 4K.

I decided to copy the question to not confuse you even more.

Do you routinely or even occasionally use a point-n-shoot to capture video footage for clients?
Yes. here are some examples
-Placing a small camera as a wide shot on a tripod or magic arm while shooting the rest of the footage on the a cam. For example covering a opening ceremony of a event.
-Using it as a off angle bcam for interviews while being the only shooter.
-Sometimes directors shoot some extra footage or angles with a handy cam, this could also be done with a point and shoot or a mirrorless camera.
-Use it as a gorpo with higher quality.
-Set it up to timelapse.
-Some clients shoot their own content and send it in for the edit(small business).

I think this will cover most of the arguments I posted earlier.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:49:39 AM by bart13 »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 07:03:16 AM »
What is the need for having 4k in a camera like this? Serious question, because I would imagine any ILC would be better suited then this.

Why?  Because iPhone.

Nice contribution!

Some reasons:
- Future proofing : You or your clients may not need 4k now but soon they will. I hate cutting in old sd footage. I will hate cutting in 1080.
- Room for post : Stabilizing footage without loss. This edit style is quite hot atm and it benefits greatly from 4k since there is alot of zooming, panning, rotating and cropping in post. https://vimeo.com/88224399 You can see some of the shots are not holding up.
- 1 camera 2 shots : Nice to have for interviews. Shoot 4k and deliver in hd so you can shoot a wide and tight shot at the same time.
- Often clients ask for still so they can make gfx like posters. 1080px is not alot to work with.
- It sells

The question wasn't, "Why 4K?"  But thanks for answering that unasked question anyway!  Unless you think this is a camera intended for professionals, interviews, and such. Do you routinely or even occasionally use a point-n-shoot to capture video footage for clients?

The question is highlighted above, and since the camera in question is a P&S, and smartphones are gutting the P&S market, it would seem quite reasonable to include 4K.

Do you routinely or even occasionally use a point-n-shoot to capture video footage for clients?
-Placing a small camera as a wide shot on a tripod or magic arm while shooting the rest of the footage on the a cam. For example covering a opening ceremony of a event.
-Sometimes directors shoot some extra footage or angles with a handy cam, this could also be done with a point and shoot or a mirrorless camera.
-Set it up to timelapse.
-Some clients shoot their own content and send it in for the edit(small business).

Thanks, that nicely explains why you think a camera like this should have 4K.  I suspect only a very (very!) tiny minority of potential buyers would be using it in a similar way. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

bart13

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 07:24:10 AM »
 Oh yes, small market for sure. Most people would prefer a m5/a6500 over a p/s for this purpose too. I have been looking at the sony rx100v to pair with the fs5 for some jobs where space and weight really is a concern.

bart13

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 07:30:19 AM »

Why?  Because iPhone.

Nice contribution!

Some reasons:
- It sells

-Set it up to timelapse.

Thanks, that nicely explains why you think a camera like this should have 4K.  I suspect only a very (very!) tiny minority of potential buyers would be using it in a similar way.

Oh btw, I highlighted something red :)

Mistral75

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 08:15:06 AM »
NokiS___a Camera also published two pictures of Canon IXUS 185 without any specifications:

http://www.nokiS___a-camera.com/2016/12/powershot-g9-x-mark-ii_31.html

(damn politically correct policies that automatically modifiy some strings of letters; you have to replace S___ by the proper letters)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:17:37 AM by Mistral75 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 08:15:06 AM »

jeffa4444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 09:27:03 AM »
Seriously all you people troubled by the omission of 4K go buy a video camera. On a tiny sensor like this what kind of a 4K image do you think your going to get?
Gone it seems are the days we buy P&S cameras to take PHOTOGRAPHS no we want to be Hollywood directors instead and if we don't get 4K then hey ho were sulk.

Many Hollywood films are shot on Arri Alexa camera NOT ONE is 4K so they must be inferior!
Canon 5DS, Canon 6D, Canon 6D MKII,16-35 f4L IS USM, 17-40 f4L USM, 28 f2.8, 24-70mm f4L IS USM, 24-105 f4L IS USM, 100mm f2.8L IS USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, 50 f1.8 STM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM II, 1.4EX III, EOS 760D, EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM & others.

pokerz

• EOS M5
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 10:46:28 AM »
Seriously all you people troubled by the omission of 4K go buy a video camera. On a tiny sensor like this what kind of a 4K image do you think your going to get?
Gone it seems are the days we buy P&S cameras to take PHOTOGRAPHS no we want to be Hollywood directors instead and if we don't get 4K then hey ho were sulk.

Many Hollywood films are shot on Arri Alexa camera NOT ONE is 4K so they must be inferior!
Can Arri Alexa camera put into your pocket?
Rx 100 & LX10 do great 4k movie, it kicks 5dm3 1080 CRAPPY movie away.

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 02:46:12 PM »

actually the RX100 cannot do 4K movie "great"

they even call it 4k "clips" because it's limited to 5 minutes or less.

and the RX100 IV and above are considerably larger than the G9X, and the LX10 even more so.

there's the argument to be made that the G7x and upcoming G3x should have 4k clips of some sort.

however it's dramatically idiotic to think the G9x should considering it's diminutive size.

the three formentioned cameras:

in other words.. Good grief.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:57:12 PM by rrcphoto »

powershot2012

• EOS M5
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 09:17:38 PM »
Seriously, you are even trying to put the G9X in the same league as the LX10, let alone the RX100 IV and V???

Now that is funny. :o  :D  ::)

actually the RX100 cannot do 4K movie "great"

they even call it 4k "clips" because it's limited to 5 minutes or less.

and the RX100 IV and above are considerably larger than the G9X, and the LX10 even more so.

there's the argument to be made that the G7x and upcoming G3x should have 4k clips of some sort.

however it's dramatically idiotic to think the G9x should considering it's diminutive size.

the three formentioned cameras:

in other words.. Good grief.

pokerz

• EOS M5
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »
To be fair with Canon, let's compare RX 100 (2012) vs G9x2 (2017)
28-100mm vs 28-84mm
F1.8 - 4.9 vs F2.0-4.9
10FPS vs 8FPS
bounce flash vs touch screen

Innovative Canon  8)

rrcphoto

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 10:36:56 PM »
Seriously, you are even trying to put the G9X in the same league as the LX10, let alone the RX100 IV and V???

Now that is funny. :o  :D  ::)

reading is hard I see.   ::) ::)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:49:29 PM by rrcphoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 10:36:56 PM »

rrcphoto

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 10:42:18 PM »
28-100mm vs 28-84mm
F1.8 - 4.9 vs F2.0-4.9
10FPS vs 8FPS

Innovative Canon  8)

Okay.. the only thing the RX100 has going for it is 1/3 EV at 28mm 28-100 and 1.8 FPS more.  I heard lots of complaints about RX100's IS? no?

let's see on the G9X Mark II.

added a touchscreen, wifi/nfc and BLE, UHS-I support, ND filters,etc.

oh and is:

Canon PowerShot G9 X is 4% (3.6 mm) narrower and 0% (0.2 mm) shorter than Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II.
Canon PowerShot G9 X is 20% (7.5 mm) thinner than Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II.
Canon PowerShot G9 X [209 g] weights 26% (72 grams) less than Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II [281 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Yeah .. damn that canon for doing something well.

::)  ::)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:46:28 PM by rrcphoto »

pokerz

• EOS M5
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 10:58:17 PM »
28-100mm vs 28-84mm
F1.8 - 4.9 vs F2.0-4.9
10FPS vs 8FPS

Innovative Canon  8)

Okay.. the only thing the RX100 has going for it is 1/3 EV at 28mm 28-100 and 1.8 FPS more.  I heard lots of complaints about RX100's IS? no?

let's see on the G9X Mark II.

added a touchscreen, wifi/nfc and BLE, UHS-I support, ND filters,etc.

oh and is:

Canon PowerShot G9 X is 4% (3.6 mm) narrower and 0% (0.2 mm) shorter than Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II.
Canon PowerShot G9 X is 20% (7.5 mm) thinner than Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II.
Canon PowerShot G9 X [209 g] weights 26% (72 grams) less than Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II [281 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Yeah .. damn that canon for doing something well.

::)  ::)

ok, you are comparing Rx 100 (2013) vs G9x2 (2017)
Flipping screen and hotshoe vs touch screen, that's all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 10:58:17 PM »