December 13, 2017, 07:51:54 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces PowerShot G9 X Mark II, G7 X Mark II Video Creator Kit & VIXIA HF-R Series  (Read 16580 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
We often shoot MEMORIES with cameras and want them in the best quality possible. Might not have a 4K TV now but in 10 years it will be very common and cheap to buy one. Maybe in 5 years too.
At present, the bulk of TV sales are 4K models, despite the lack of content....

most newer laptops can display to a 4K tv....

most "gamer" computers can handle 8K displays, despite the lack of choice....

most "action" cameras shoot 4K......

most DSLRs do not.....

Things progress piece by piece, rarely all at once.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II

most "gamer" computers can handle 8K displays, despite the lack of choice....

actually most can't.

more than 2-3 4K screens and you have to run multiple video cards in SLI form at least for gaming.

pokerz

• EOS M5
Visionaries Welcome- unless they shoot 4K :)

yes, because the small RX100's really shoot for more than a few minutes of 4K at a time before they overheat.

totally makes sense to add in 4K into an even smaller camera.

Good grief.

Sony and other manufactures have had video cameras shooting 4k for quiet a few years now. I am actually shocked Canon did not include it with this update.. I mean really the Sony AX53 can shoot 4k until the battery is dead or the card is full. So why has Canon not included 4k in its video cams yet??

I'm curious on the SIZE difference between the AX53 and the G9x ..

you DO realize that this thing is even smaller than the RX100 by nearly a 1CM and that can only shoot 4K for 5 minutes?

For extra 0.92cm thinkness, it can provide 24mm wide, 100mm tele, a built in EVF, 4k 30p, 1000fps , zebra, peaking, log profile, better buffer, better FPS, a bounce flash and a  flippy screen.

:o
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:07:44 AM by pokerz »

Jopa

• EOS 5DS R
For extra 0.92cm thinkness, it can provide 24mm wide, 100mm tele, a built in EVF, 4k 30p, 1000fps , zebra, peaking, log profile, better buffer, better FPS, a bounce flash and a  flippy screen.

My 5dsr, 1dx2 and a7r2 can deliver a way better IQ than both RX100 or G9X. I can mount any lens on those FF
cameras, from 11-24  to 600/4. But what's the point if none of them will fit in my pocket? ;)
For me 1cm means I will have a camera in the pocket or not.

BTW the RX100 has 70mm tele since the 3rd generation. I had the first two gens but gave up since the cameras were still too big for everyday carry.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:25:03 AM by Jopa »

ExodistPhotography

• EOS M5
  • Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
    • Joe's Photo & Video Channel

yes, because the small RX100's really shoot for more than a few minutes of 4K at a time before they overheat.

Good grief.

Sony and other manufactures have had video cameras shooting 4k for quiet a few years now. I am actually shocked Canon did not include it with this update.. I mean really the Sony AX53 can shoot 4k until the battery is dead or the card is full. So why has Canon not included 4k in its video cams yet??

Because they, Canon, don't believe the target audience will be predominately impacted by the absence of it.

Less than 10% of USA households have a 4K TV, the USA is the largest single 4K TV market and even those people that have a 4K TV have very limited delivery options. 4K is simply not a consumer orientated feature at this point. Canon don't include it because they don't think they need to, Apple don't include it on their Apple TV because they don't think they need to.

Actually in 2016 alone 25% of the TVs sold globally were 4k. Canon is a global company and thus has to think globally and 4k is becoming the norm as 8k TVs are starting to role out. Then there is the fact that most consumers of video cameras these days actually do not show their videos on their home TV. Most get uploaded to youtube of just emailed to family and friends. Which is supported by 4k unless your on a PC from the year 2003..  Then regardless of those like myself who still upload in 1080p, the ability to down sample 4k to 1080p actually makes the video much sharper.   

That said, I shoot Canon and love Canon products. I can understand the 80D and 6D2 not having 4k. I get that. But Canons higher end Vixa Camcorder should..  I am not saying the G9 should at all. At that price, not it should not. But the camcorders should have it. Seriously you can get 4k in dang no pro these days.

tpatana

• EOS 5DS R

Good grief.

I'm curious on the SIZE difference between the AX53 and the G9x ..

you DO realize that this thing is even smaller than the RX100 by nearly a 1CM and that can only shoot 4K for 5 minutes?

I thought the high-fps was only for few seconds. And it's only on low resolution:
250fps @ 1,824×1,026   
1000fps @ 1,244×420

bsbeamer

• EOS M5
are these R800 cameras really anything better or different than the R700 (and R600/R500)?  looks like they add 1-2 minor new features for the past 4-5 years and call it a new model/release.  the R600 refurb was on sale for around $125 recently and the R700 was under $200 new.  if anyone's still in the market for these, check those out first. 

canon rumors FORUM

rrcphoto

and twice the price.

I noticed you left out that little tidbit.

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
Sigh...  I'm starting to wish Canon would stick 4K into everything just to some people shut up. ;)

Yes I that badly want them to be quiet. ;D

douglaurent

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • 1DC
Very disappointing again Canon.  The small size parallel thumbnail videos in Sony cameras do look as good as your best 1080 video quality.  Canon's camera lineup historically never had so much good competition with dozens of useful features Canon doesn't offer.

rrcphoto

Very disappointing again Canon.  The small size parallel thumbnail videos in Sony cameras do look as good as your best 1080 video quality.  Canon's camera lineup historically never had so much good competition with dozens of useful features Canon doesn't offer.

waaa.

except this offers one thing the competition doesn't have. Size.

Orangutan

• EOS-1D X Mark II

If Sony cameras are so much better, why don't they sell more of them?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK

and twice the price.

And that extra 0.92 cm is nearly a 30% increase in thickness.  For me, that's the difference between fits in jeans pocket and doesn't fit so gets left at home.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

Orangutan

• EOS-1D X Mark II

and twice the price.

And that extra 0.92 cm is nearly a 30% increase in thickness.  For me, that's the difference between fits in jeans pocket and doesn't fit so gets left at home.

Could get bigger jeans.   :P

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK

and twice the price.

Could get bigger jeans.   :P

Found the perfect pants to carry a camera:   ;)

EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM