December 15, 2017, 01:16:47 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces PowerShot G9 X Mark II, G7 X Mark II Video Creator Kit & VIXIA HF-R Series  (Read 16614 times)

transpo1

• EOS 80D
Visionaries Welcome- unless they shoot 4K :)

yes, because the small RX100's really shoot for more than a few minutes of 4K at a time before they overheat.

totally makes sense to add in 4K into an even smaller camera.

Good grief.

Yes, you're right- it makes perfect sense since they are competing for people's iPhone dollars. And as people here have noted, iPhones have 4K video. And yes, I am taking note of your sarcasm and flipping it ;)

canon rumors FORUM

jedy

• PowerShot G1 X II

yes, because the small RX100's really shoot for more than a few minutes of 4K at a time before they overheat.

Good grief.
Yes, you're right- it makes perfect sense since they are competing for people's iPhone dollars. And as people here have noted, iPhones have 4K video. And yes, I am taking note of your sarcasm and flipping it ;)
I honestly don't get the obsession with consumer 4K - especially in a camera of this size. When viewing videos on a small screen like a phone or on my iPad Mini, 1080p is more than good enough. I often have to reduce the quality to 480p due to insufficient bandwidth and even then it still looks just as good on a small screen. 4K should be left to big budget cinema films, not YouTube cat videos.
Camera, lenses, blah, blah, blah!

transpo1

• EOS 80D

Good grief.
I honestly don't get the obsession with consumer 4K - especially in a camera of this size. When viewing videos on a small screen like a phone or on my iPad Mini, 1080p is more than good enough. I often have to reduce the quality to 480p due to insufficient bandwidth and even then it still looks just as good on a small screen. 4K should be left to big budget cinema films, not YouTube cat videos.

So, on that note, I don't get the obsession with high-resolution stills on a camera of this size. Why would anyone need 5472 x 3648 stills when viewing on a small screen like an iPhone or an iPad mini? 1080 resolution stills are good enough. After all, Instagram is only 1080 x 1080. Why would a camera of this size need to shoot pictures in anything higher?  ;)

Oh, yes- it's because many people do view stills AND watch video on 4K monitors, 5K iMacs, 2880 x 1800 MacBook Pro Retina screens, etc., and on YouTube, which also accepts 4K UHD video. And since iPhones already shoot 4K video (have for 2 years) and stills at 12MP, and since Canon P&S cameras have to compete with iPhone dollars (as per the original point)...well, you get the picture, right? No pun intended...

canon rumors FORUM