January 18, 2017, 11:48:50 AM

Author Topic: What's your experience buying refurbished from Canon Direct USA?  (Read 11859 times)

setterguy

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: What's your experience buying refurbished from Canon Direct USA?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 12:20:11 PM »
I have purchased both lens and body and the experience has been excellent! :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 12:20:11 PM »

dexstrose

• Rebel SL1
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 01:03:55 PM »
It's great deal if you don't have to pay sales tax. Everything I bought refurbished was a two hundred and under close to getting a brand one. But I still saved a few bucks on purchasing refurbished items.

Refurbished lenses and flash I purchased came through with no problems, looked brand new. I'm surprise the flash is still strong after a year of heavy use and over heating it a few times. I also called for price adjustment and they gave me one. So overall I had a good experience with canon refurbs.

dcm

• 5D Mark III
  • It's not the gear. It's me.
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 01:19:24 PM »
Purchased a body and some lenses refurb.   Same experience as buying new items from Canon.  No problems to report on the purchase process or the items I received - all looked and functioned like brand new.  I usually double dip and wait for the refurb sale (15%) or other $ off promotions to make it really worthwhile. 

Popular items go fast so its best to sign up with Canon Price Watch to get notified when an item appears.  Even then they can be gone before you get there.  I once got an item in the cart, but took a few minutes to get out the credit card and it was gone before I could complete the purchase.
Shooting with Canon since 1982.

mpetersheim

• Power Shot G7X
Re: Just one last chapter (hopefully) to wrap up this weird little story
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 12:58:54 PM »
After posting my previous observation, I went browsing through the Canon online store, just out of morbid curiosity. To my surprise, the refurb lens I had ordered (35/2 IS) was now showing as in stock!

So I checked my order status again; no change. I called Canon back, spoke with another polite and professional lady, who listened patiently, checked their inventory, confirmed they now have 7 of these lenses in stock, and "unblocked" my order so that it would ship out today.

What's weird is that there was no discussion of my order being "blocked" in my earlier conversation with Canon today; the term never even came up. So I have little confidence that my order would have fulfilled today, had I not seen the lens listed as in stock and called in a second time.

The moral of this little story for me is to CALL Canon whenever I want to buy a refurb item, rather than relying on their online store. Shouldn't be a problem, since they're open from 8:00 am to midnight every day of the week, except holidays.

Sounds like (one of) the same thing that happened to me in the epxerience I related. Glad you got it ordered!

studeb

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 05:30:27 PM »
<EDIT> Now posted a a new thread.

I would start a new topic for this, but as i am a noob, i cant.

This is my second refurb purchase and I have a question about what condition you would accept for a refurbed product. i bought a 70-200mm 2.8 IS II on the Black Friday sale, i know i am lucky. It arrived, i unpacked it, and all looks okay except for the black hood mount ring. It was clearly scratched and the scratches had been painted over in a less than elegant fashion. i will try for pics later, but black on black aint easy to show up. The painting is not obvious, and from a few feet it is not noticeable. It occurred to me that i should try to mount a filter. i haven't used the lens yet, AFMA checks out fine and a few test pattern shots show improved performance over the non-IS version i have.

Would you accept this re-painting as a refurbed product?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:04:24 PM by studeb »

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 05:50:31 PM »
That's unusual. I have purchased a lot of refurbished items (most recently a 100-400 II) and they have always been pristine. That said though, if it is just cosmetic I wouldn't worry about it, especially since refurbished now come with a full one-year warranty.

studeb

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 05:59:10 PM »
That was my initial thought, its just cosmetic. I also wonder about down the road issues, like if the paint would be cause for warranty problems?

It seems like this is the first report of a non-pristine refurb. Maybe it really is a unicorn!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 05:59:10 PM »

Pookie

• 5D Mark III
  • “Know thy tools so they get out of thy way”
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 06:40:27 PM »
I bought my 200mm f/2 refurb... not a single issue and if I didn't tell you you'd think it was brand new (now it's a little beat but back then it had that "new" car smell). Came with everything that a new one would come with... I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one the exact same way.
This forum isn't about photography or even cameras... it's about whining, bickering and demanding absolute perfection by hobbyists taking cat pictures. The truth is they can't even use the equipment they have to the fullest. Dogs barking at cars, they wouldn't know what to do if they caught one...

kaswindell

• Rebel T6i
  • Trying to be as good as my gear
    • Check out my smugmug page
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 07:58:35 PM »
I bought my 5d3/24-105 kit as a refurb earlier this year when the price dropped and have been very happy with it.    No problem with the order and it arrived 2 days after the order was placed.
Canon 5D mk III, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, EF 2x III, EF 50 f/1.8, and a bunch of FD film gear.

http://keithswindellphotography.smugmug.com/

monkey44

• Canon 6D
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 12:13:22 AM »
We can only reiterate what has been said here -- we bought two cameras refurb, and one lens at different times a couple years ago ... all three arrived within a few days of the order, and if it wasn't for the refurb sticker, we'd have thought it was brand new and shipped by accident.   Perfect condition and the 7D came with only four shutter clicks - right, that's four!!!   

We'd have no hesitation buying refurb from Canon again.

tpatana

• 5DSR
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 12:38:03 AM »
I've bought several items, and each of them looked like new. No clue that anyone would have ever used/touched them before.

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 02:00:28 AM »
I've made several purchases through the Canon refurb store and have always had good luck.

My one complaint is that they always charge sales tax.  I'm not sure why that is, but I have to take that into account when I'm comparing prices with other online photo retailers.
Current bodies:  5D3, 700D, S100
Favorite lenses: 24-70 L2, 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8, 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f/1.2L, 24-105 L, 70-200 f/4 L, 35 f/2 IS.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 6D
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 01:42:53 PM »
Yes....and no.  Bought camera and lens which arrived with no problems and am still using both.  Then I bought a
camera for my granddaughter and it arrived DOA.  Return rigamarole was interesting and frustrating, but eventually a replacement was shipped after a second credit card charge.  Refund did arrive but they sure take longer to return money than to take it.  Replacement camera is working well and my granddaughter is a new Canon booster.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 01:42:53 PM »

alberrt

• Canonflex
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 09:48:10 AM »
My experience was a disaster and is still going on.  I ordered a 28-105 refurbished lens on 12-10 and immediately got an email from canon thanking me for my order and telling me they would notify me when it shipped.  I also immediately got an email showing an hold to my paypal account for the purchase. On 12-17 I called to check and see when this would ship as this was a Christmas present.  I was told that the order could not be filled as there was not enough stock (yet I see here and in other forums that if this is not stock it will show in the screen where I purchased it).  I was further told that they were not going to notify me.  I had not received any notice that there was an issue, I just randomly decided to call.  I was also told there was no raincheck; just no lens, no notification, and nothing I could do.  SOL. 

So a ordered one from 42nd St photo and had it the next day, brand new for the same price delivered!  I know it is 'grey market' but it is a canon lens same as I would have received from Canon and they actually delivered it.

I also and still struggling to get the amount released from my pay pal account even though Canon has a recorded call where I asked for them to release the hold as they were not going to ship.

Too bad I didn't start with NIKON.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 09:48:10 AM »