March 24, 2017, 10:45:20 AM

Author Topic: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?  (Read 6114 times)

privatebydesign

  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • **********
  • Posts: 5840
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »

And yes, values of the 600II will fall if the 600 DO 1.4x becomes a reality.

Historically that's not true, invariably new models of big white lenses come with a hefty price increase that still leaves a price slot for NOS of the outgoing model and a strong market for the used ones that come up.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »

Steve Balcombe

  • Rebel T6i
  • ****
  • Posts: 129
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 05:23:37 PM »
And yes, values of the 600II will fall if the 600 DO 1.4x becomes a reality.

Remember the rumour was about a 600 DO without a built-in extender.

I commented a few days ago that a 600 DO 1.4x would be the big white to end all big whites, but that's not what has been predicted. Just my wishful thinking, sadly - unless of course someone at Canon HQ has seen my post and a bunch of marketing people have been fired for not thinking of it...

Diko

  • Canon 6D
  • *****
  • Posts: 360
  • 7 fps...
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 09:39:20 PM »
"Egret Umbrella"

EOS 1D X, EF 600mm f/4L IS II + EF 1.4x III Extender, 1/2500 s, f/6.3, ISO 500

Lovely pict. Could you post a crop just to check how much does the 1.4 holds. And is it a Canon extender? If yes - which version?
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

kaihp

  • 1D Mark IV
  • ******
  • Posts: 752
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 06:05:35 AM »
EOS 1D X, EF 600mm f/4L IS II + EF 1.4x III Extender, 1/2500 s, f/6.3, ISO 500

Lovely pict. Could you post a crop just to check how much does the 1.4 holds. And is it a Canon extender? If yes - which version?

The information was all there. Look at the underlined text.

GMCPhotographics

  • 5DSR
  • *******
  • Posts: 1271
    • GMCPhotographics
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 08:24:47 AM »
My main passion is wildlife photography. I'm very happy with the gear I have - a 200-400/1.4x on a 1Dx Mark II, but as with any wildlife photography the lens you want is bigger than the one you have.

For that reason I've been considering a 600/4 II. However, since I don't have the funds anyway I've been eyeing the upcoming 600/4 DO. Recently, however, I have a pending sale of several photos that would actually give me the funds to purchase the existing 600/4 if I want.

So what do you think - if I have the funds available should I spring for the existing 600/4 II - or should I use the fact that I already have the 200-400 to wait for the 600 DO?

If you need and want a 600mm lens then the ef 600mm f4 LIS II is an amazing lens. Get one, use it, post the results. If it's gear stroking and forum bragging trumps you are after, then wait as long as you like for your particular unicorn to arrive.  A 600mm DO will not diminish the capabilities of a 600 f4 LIS II overnight. It will still be the fantastic lens it currently is.

danski0224

  • 1D Mark IV
  • ******
  • Posts: 977
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 05:49:57 PM »
Historically that's not true, invariably new models of big white lenses come with a hefty price increase that still leaves a price slot for NOS of the outgoing model and a strong market for the used ones that come up.

I don't know... there seems to be an awful lot of folks that are interested in a 600 DO, with or without a built-in 1.4X.

If the interest translates into sales, then there is certainly a possibility of "plenty" of 600 VII's coming up on the used market.

candc

  • 5DSR
  • *******
  • Posts: 1238
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
Buy now or wait for the better thing coming? I generally go with get what you need now unless its known that the better thing is coming soon and better in every regard.

The "do" lens isn't going to be around for a couple years and you just can't get much better than the 600ii (or the version 1 for that matter) .It will be shorter and lighter by around 30% or so. That's important if you are handholding but doesn't make much difference if you are using it on a tripod anyway.


canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »

kirispupis

  • Canon 6D
  • *****
  • Posts: 434
    • CalevPhoto
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 11:37:14 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I have decided to go for the existing 600/II once the sale (I hope) goes through. One more question:

Which would you take on a safari in a private game reserve in South Africa?
a) 1Dx2 with 200-400/1.4x + 5D4 with 70-200/2.8 II or
b) 1Dx2 with 600/4 II + 5D4 with 100-400 II

Thank you again for the advice.
1Dx2|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

Mikehit

  • 5DSR
  • *******
  • Posts: 1182
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 03:52:00 AM »
Different parks offer different opportunities, and even more important is the tour company and how they operate. I have read people saying they got everything they needed with a lens no longer than 300mm and others used super telephotos. One recurring comment though is that in most tour vehicles you just don't have the space to wield a 600mm. And if you are using a long lens like that then heat haze is the biggest problem. I would go 200-400

kirispupis

  • Canon 6D
  • *****
  • Posts: 434
    • CalevPhoto
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 01:18:20 PM »
Different parks offer different opportunities, and even more important is the tour company and how they operate. I have read people saying they got everything they needed with a lens no longer than 300mm and others used super telephotos. One recurring comment though is that in most tour vehicles you just don't have the space to wield a 600mm. And if you are using a long lens like that then heat haze is the biggest problem. I would go 200-400

Thanks! This is my current plan. In one park we'll have our own private vehicle. In the other, we have to share, but there are 4 of us and the vehicle is limited to 6. These are both private game reserves, so the number of other vehicles will be limited and our vehicle will be able to go off road - though with respect to the animals.

The other thing to consider is I'm extremely used to the 200-400/1.4x, having used it for several years. It's probably a good idea to not bring a new lens to such a place.
1Dx2|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

Mikehit

  • 5DSR
  • *******
  • Posts: 1182
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 02:40:49 PM »
I am aware that some park organisers who are trying to capture the lucrative photographer market have modified the seating in the vehicles to give a less restricted view and more room for their gear. If you are fortunate to have one of these it is probably worth asking the organiser.

AlanF

  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ********
  • Posts: 2553
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 04:12:33 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I have decided to go for the existing 600/II once the sale (I hope) goes through. One more question:

Which would you take on a safari in a private game reserve in South Africa?
a) 1Dx2 with 200-400/1.4x + 5D4 with 70-200/2.8 II or
b) 1Dx2 with 600/4 II + 5D4 with 100-400 II

Thank you again for the advice.

Much of the time on safari you are sitting in a Jeep and you don't get out with a tripod and it isn't simple to use a bean bag - you have to hand hold and cope with a range of distances and angles. The 100-400 was the ultimate safari lens, with a very useful zoom range and easy to pack and swing around. The 100-400mm II takes its place, and a Sigma 150-600mm C (or Tamron) is a good choice as well. You need to be able to cope with a range of distances. I personally would take the 400 DO II plus extenders, which is easy to maneuver, with my wife having the 100-400mm II.
5D IV, 5DS R, 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X, 400mm DO II, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM, EF 70-200/4 IS, EF 24-105, 15-85, 100-400 II, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye

kirispupis

  • Canon 6D
  • *****
  • Posts: 434
    • CalevPhoto
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 07:08:31 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I have decided to go for the existing 600/II once the sale (I hope) goes through. One more question:

Which would you take on a safari in a private game reserve in South Africa?
a) 1Dx2 with 200-400/1.4x + 5D4 with 70-200/2.8 II or
b) 1Dx2 with 600/4 II + 5D4 with 100-400 II

Thank you again for the advice.

Much of the time on safari you are sitting in a Jeep and you don't get out with a tripod and it isn't simple to use a bean bag - you have to hand hold and cope with a range of distances and angles. The 100-400 was the ultimate safari lens, with a very useful zoom range and easy to pack and swing around. The 100-400mm II takes its place, and a Sigma 150-600mm C (or Tamron) is a good choice as well. You need to be able to cope with a range of distances. I personally would take the 400 DO II plus extenders, which is easy to maneuver, with my wife having the 100-400mm II.

Thanks! I always handhold my 200-400 anyways, so I'll be fine without a tripod or bean bag. I thought about bringing a 100-400 for my kids, but that would mean the 70-200/2.8 would have to stay home - which I don't want. If they really want a photo I'll put an extender on it.
1Dx2|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 07:08:31 PM »

NancyP

  • 5DSR
  • *******
  • Posts: 1123
Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 07:56:11 PM »
Do you need it now and have the cash now? Buy the existing 600 f/4L IS II.
Do you need it now and not have the cash? Rent the existing 600 f/4L IS II.
Do you know that you won't be able to go on the planned trip for 2 or 3 years? You can wait to decide. It might be worthwhile still to rent the existing 600 for a short time so that you know how it handles if you plan to do a lot of hand-held shots.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy 600/4 now, or wait for 600 DO?
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 07:56:11 PM »