June 26, 2017, 11:48:31 PM

Author Topic: EOS M5: A damnend good camera!  (Read 22294 times)

JoFT

• Rebel T6i
  • I do love photography
    • Delight-Photo
Re: EOS M5: A damend good camera!
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2017, 05:57:22 AM »
And as a side-note, related to complaints elsewhere re Sigma AF accuracy/consistency, to see what all the fuss was about I recently rented the Sigma 85 Art and Sigma's EF-Sony adapter.  Attempting nothing but still shots, I found the lens's (in)accuracy rate, whether attached to my 6D or A7rII via the Sigma adapter, to be completely unacceptable (fortunately it works well as a manual lens, but...).  Just for kicks I then attached my Canon EF 85 1.8 to the A7rII via the Sigma adapter, obtaining an accuracy rate of near 100%.  Go figure....

Another confirmation of how poor Sigma's AF accuracy is.

I prefer ZEISS manual focus lenses over SIGMA Autofocus. This is by far more accurate.... Especially on the M5...
Canon: 4  single-digit-Bodies/14 Lenses;
µ43: 4 Bodies, 9 lenses; 10 Speedlite mainly Yongnuo

canon rumors FORUM

Re: EOS M5: A damend good camera!
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2017, 05:57:22 AM »

digigal

• Canon AE-1
Re: EOS M5: A damnend good camera!
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2017, 07:47:50 PM »
Question: Does anyone know if the Pocket Wizard works with the M5? 
Thanks,
Catherine

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2017, 08:31:58 PM »
Thanks,
Catherine

Any reason to think they wouldn't?
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

eosuser1234

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2017, 09:59:16 PM »
Pocket Wizards only have worked on the EOS M series in standard trigger mode.  No ETTL, No Hypersync, etc.
This is fine if using the Pocket Wizard Plus 3, or Pocket Wizard Plus X, but you need to change the settings on the Flex TT1 or Flex TT5 using Pocket Wizard utility app on your PC/Mac. 

Basically for Manual usage they work fine, but max shutter speed will only be max sync speed of the camera.

Thanks,
Catherine

EOS 6D, EOS 7Dmk2, EOS M, EOS M3, EF 8-15mm Fisheye F4.0L, EF 17-40mm F4.0L, EF 35mm F2, EF 40mm F2.8, EF 50mm F2.5 Macro, Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art, EF 85mm F1.8, EF 70-200mm F2.8L, EF 2x, EF 1.4x mk2, EF life size converter, EF-M 11-22mm, EF-M 22mm, EF-M 18-55mm, EF-M 55-200mm M Mount Rokinon 8mm Fish

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2017, 10:07:51 PM »
Pocket Wizards only have worked on the EOS M series in standard trigger mode.  No ETTL, No Hypersync, etc.
This is fine if using the Pocket Wizard Plus 3, or Pocket Wizard Plus X, but you need to change the settings on the Flex TT1 or Flex TT5 using Pocket Wizard utility app on your PC/Mac. 

Basically for Manual usage they work fine, but max shutter speed will only be max sync speed of the camera.

Thanks,
Catherine

Is anybody stupid or masochistic enough to still be trying to use that awful, unreliable and expensive Flex system?
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

digigal

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2017, 12:04:55 AM »

Thanks,
Catherine

Thanks.  Will be using the M5 as a backup for some night shoots at waterholes in Namibia.

JoFT

• Rebel T6i
  • I do love photography
    • Delight-Photo
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »
One interesting experience I made 2 days ago in the Panasonic Center in Tokyo. There was the GH5 equipped with the Leica 100-400mm Zoom. And there was a railway scaled model in front of it. I tested a bit the follow focus with the moving locomotives.  I could not get one sharp image!

But my M5 behaved much better using the EF 100mm f2.8 L IS USM....

For me: DualPixel AF is just great!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »

Ed V

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Ed Vatza
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2017, 06:16:39 AM »
I am almost exclusively a street photographer. I've taken the M5 with the EF-40mm pancake out the last two trips and have been extremely pleased with the image quality. The 64mm full-frame equivalent is a bit long for me (I prefer 50mm on my 5D3) but can do until Canon decides to produce a 32mm M-lens (hopefully soon).

Ed
I am a photographer. I simply seek to record life as it is. That is all I do. It is what I am.

5DMkIII - Rokinon 12mm Fisheye - Canon 28mm - Canon 35mm L - Canon 40mm Pancake - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Canon 50mm L - Canon 85mm - Canon 135mm L & EOS M5 - 22mm - 15-45mm

JoFT

• Rebel T6i
  • I do love photography
    • Delight-Photo
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2017, 06:57:32 AM »
I am almost exclusively a street photographer. I've taken the M5 with the EF-40mm pancake out the last two trips and have been extremely pleased with the image quality. The 64mm full-frame equivalent is a bit long for me (I prefer 50mm on my 5D3) but can do until Canon decides to produce a 32mm M-lens (hopefully soon).

Ed

Thx. this just fits with my experience. In street photography the camera is close to perfect. You might have 2 options without waiting: the 22mm works for me perfectly. and the 28mm should work, to. And hopefully Sigma releases its APS-C f2.8 Art Primes.. like the 30mm f2.8...

bainsybike

• EOS M3
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2017, 09:09:31 AM »

Ed

Thx. this just fits with my experience. In street photography the camera is close to perfect. You might have 2 options without waiting: the 22mm works for me perfectly. and the 28mm should work, to. And hopefully Sigma releases its APS-C f2.8 Art Primes.. like the 30mm f2.8...

+1 to this.  I think the 28mm M macro is a really nice walkaround lens, on a par with the 22mm (except for the aperture), near enough to 50mm full frame equivalent and with IS too.  Pity it's not F2, or even 2.8.

Rockskipper

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2017, 10:40:45 AM »
just got my M5. Almost sent it back since I couldn't see a dang thing through the EVF, then discovered you can change a diopter thingy to focus better. I can't see closeup w/o wearing glasses, so the back screen is out of focus, but now I can use the EVF. So far I love it, but then, it's a big step up for me.

Crosswind

• EOS M3
  • The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2017, 10:07:25 AM »
When I'm turning the top left wheel to quickly swap from M to Av mode for example, then there's always an info appearing on my screen, that shows me which shooting mode I am currently using for about ~2 sec. I cannot make any changes to aperture or ISO settings in that time, which is kind of annoying. I have turned off "hints & tips" in the menu, but that does not help. Is there any solution? If not, this has to be fixed in a future firmware upgrade...

JoFT

• Rebel T6i
  • I do love photography
    • Delight-Photo
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »
When I'm turning the top left wheel to quickly swap from M to Av mode for example, then there's always an info appearing on my screen, that shows me which shooting mode I am currently using for about ~2 sec. I cannot make any changes to aperture or ISO settings in that time, which is kind of annoying. I have turned off "hints & tips" in the menu, but that does not help. Is there any solution? If not, this has to be fixed in a future firmware upgrade...

Mine reacts typically pretty shot. it changes as soon as I turn one of the wheels...
How long is the time set for showing images after shooting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »

Crosswind

• EOS M3
  • The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2017, 07:37:26 PM »

I've set it so zero seconds. But that should not have anything to do with the issue.

In the 1.) picture below you can see the temporary screen (in german language) and what it shows for about 2 sec. when switching between shooting modes (M -> Av -> Tv -> ...). In these ~2 seconds I cannot do anything (like change aperture or ISO setting). I basically have to wait to be able to make any changes until I see the display info (2.)).

That's annyoing in a situation when you have to quickly swap from one shooting mode to another. I'm mostly into landscapes, so it's only a minor issue, but still... I thought it's worth mentioning.

edit: OK, I've found kind of a workaround (reduces the "waiting time"); turning the shooting mode dial, and then immediately after touching the Q-set button. This way the temporary screen goes away noticeably quicker. But it is still an unnecessary thing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:51:27 PM by Crosswind »

JoFT

• Rebel T6i
  • I do love photography
    • Delight-Photo
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2017, 12:59:56 PM »

I've set it so zero seconds. But that should not have anything to do with the issue.

In the 1.) picture below you can see the temporary screen (in german language) and what it shows for about 2 sec. when switching between shooting modes (M -> Av -> Tv -> ...). In these ~2 seconds I cannot do anything (like change aperture or ISO setting). I basically have to wait to be able to make any changes until I see the display info (2.)).

That's annyoing in a situation when you have to quickly swap from one shooting mode to another. I'm mostly into landscapes, so it's only a minor issue, but still... I thought it's worth mentioning.

edit: OK, I've found kind of a workaround (reduces the "waiting time"); turning the shooting mode dial, and then immediately after touching the Q-set button. This way the temporary screen goes away noticeably quicker. But it is still an unnecessary thing.

I checked this again. Mine reaction in a couple of 1/10s... Did you try to press the shutter button half way down? that was much faster....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2017, 12:59:56 PM »