July 23, 2014, 05:10:02 PM

Poll

You may ONLY vote yes on #1 if  it applies to equipment you currently own, PLANS to PURCHASE an Extender Do Not Count for this poll.  

I currently own a 1.4x or 2x extender AND a Telephoto Lens that would be affected (f/5.6 or f/4 respectively)
18 (36%)
I do not currently own an extender, therefore the lack of f/8 AF on the 1D X wouldn't impact my photography at this time.
24 (48%)
Although I own an extender and lenses that COULD be affected, I don't generally pair them together, so f/8 still wouldn't be an issue.
8 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Poll regarding the lack of f/8 autofocus in the 1D X. Please - EVERYBODY Vote!  (Read 2318 times)

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
As it states, this poll is asking everybody to vote. Do You Currently Own an Extender and Telephoto Lens that would be affected or Not. Plans for a future purchase do not count, this is only to get an idea of how many of you would be affected if you were given a 1D X today.

If you do own an extender and lens combination that would be affected, what extender do you use, which lens do you pair it with, and truthfully... when was the last time you used them both together.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:17:00 PM by Wrathwilde »

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
I would be 'affected' in that I'd probably at least try using my 1.4x with my 100-400mm if the 1D X supported f/8 AF.  Not sure I'd be satisfied with the IQ, though.  But, the lack of that feature won't deter me from getting a 1D X.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

coltsfreak18

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I'm in the exact same boat as Neuro; I'd use my 1.4x tc on the 100-400 if I had the ability to AF with the 1dx.  Currently, I occasionally use the 1.4x tc with the 100-400, and not being able to autofocus does not really bother me, since I don't have a 1 series body.  Most of the time I use the 1.4x tc is only with my 70-200.

Edit: Well, I missed the boat with the third option, but, because I occasionally use the 1.4x with the 100-400, I'd stay the first choice stands.

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
I would be 'affected' in that I'd probably at least try using my 1.4x with my 100-400mm if the 1D X supported f/8 AF.  Not sure I'd be satisfied with the IQ, though.  But, the lack of that feature won't deter me from getting a 1D X.

Thanks for your input. I added a third option for people that do, in fact, own an extender, and lenses that COULD be affected, but wouldn't necessarily use them together, and therefore still wouldn't really be affected by the f/8 limitation.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Speed

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
If the1DX will be better at 2.8 because of it, I'm very happy that it won't have f8.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
A pre-requisite for answering your poll should also be:

"I am a current 1D/1Ds series owner who has used one of these cameras with an extender at an effective aperture of f/8"

Besides, current rumour is that it may not be a problem by the time the camera is released:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_1Dx.html  :)

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
It would not affect me because I dont use converter.  For me it will be more important to get stellar ISO performance out of the 1DX that being able to focus at f8.  That said, I can understand why people who do need it are frustrated at Canon right now because buying long focal lens to prevent this issue will cost them a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$...so while it will not affect me, they should still look into it.

Jacques
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

Jim K

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Well, I'm living with a pair of 7Ds because I didn't have the money for a pair of 1D4s. I use the 1.4x on my 500mm f/4L IS. If I went full frame I would need the 800mm f/5.6 to equal the 500 FOV. Since I use the 1.4x on the 500 I would use a 1.4x on the 800 which would then be an f/8 lens. Then I would have to find a 1Ds3 to focus at f/8, the 1DX would not cut it.

I also use the 1.4x on my lightweight 70-200 f/4L IS because the 70-300L was not out yet.

I'm wondering if I should attack the photography budget   go deep into debt and buy a 1D4 before they are gone and then have an upgrade path available. Or perhaps pray the 7D2 or 7D3 will have an answer.

Or maybe I should give up birds and wildlife and move to landscape. Sell all the white stuff, the bigger Gitzo, the Wimberley, the crop bodies and buy a 5D2 and some short black Ls.

If you gave me a 1DX I'd try to sell it without opening the box.
EOS: 7D (2, 1 gripped), 50D gripped, 580EX II + CP-E4
EF: 500 f/4L IS, 100-400 L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 28-135 IS, 1.4x TC II, EF-S: 15-85 IS, 10-22
5D3, 17-40 L, 24-105 L, 24mm TS-E II.  S100 p&s

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Currently, I occasionally use the 1.4x tc with the 100-400, and not being able to autofocus does not really bother me, since I don't have a 1 series body.  Most of the time I use the 1.4x tc is only with my 70-200.

FWIW, I tried a comparison of the extenders on the 100-400mm vs. cropping the image (using the 7D), and with the 1.4x, I preferred the cropped image, whereas with the 2x I preferred the extender.

coltsfreak18

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Currently, I occasionally use the 1.4x tc with the 100-400, and not being able to autofocus does not really bother me, since I don't have a 1 series body.  Most of the time I use the 1.4x tc is only with my 70-200.
FWIW, I tried a comparison of the extenders on the 100-400mm vs. cropping the image (using the 7D), and with the 1.4x, I preferred the cropped image, whereas with the 2x I preferred the extender.
Oh, that's interesting.  I'd assume the 5D2 would be better cropped as well, as opposed to using the TC.

My favorite use, albeit not very useful--just fun, of the 100-400 with 1.4x (I don't have the 2x) was getting super long distance shots with that combination + an xl-h1s for surveying things.  This is a 560*7.2 crop factor= 4035 full frame equivalent.  Yes, it was blurry; yes, it was crazy hard to hold steady, even with a tripod; however, you could see objects from quite a long distance away.

Add the xl-1.6x tc and you get a 6456mm full frame equivalent.  :o

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
F8 AF would be wonderful beyond belief!

300 2.8 + 2x TC + 1.4x TC = 840 F8!!!

I once paired my old 300 f4 with a 1.4 xTC + an old quantaray 2x TC (extremely poor image quality... but...). I was able to get pictures with it which were way way better than I would have without it. 420 5.6 doesn't really extract a blue heron from the background when it is quite distant. However, a 840 f11 (!) will do a great job rendering the background out of focus. Hopefully, at some point, I can find those photos...
What is truth?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
420 5.6 doesn't really extract a blue heron from the background when it is quite distant.

Well then...get closer!   :P

EOS 7D, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM @ 400mm, 1/640 s, f/5.6, ISO 640

canon rumors FORUM