December 18, 2017, 08:06:49 AM

Author Topic: Filming on trail  (Read 6757 times)

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
Re: Filming on trail
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 01:34:05 PM »
Just another comment:

I've used the Merlin. It's light but it is certainly more than a "little fiddly." You need to set it up for your specific camera/lens combination, which can take some time. And, it takes a lot of practice to get it right. On the other hand it is fairly inexpensive and even if you don't get it set up perfectly, it can help a bit. However, on rough or unfamiliar terrain it may not help and may actually be a hazard.

One thing I learned from using the Merlin is that if you have any kind of handle that allows for two-handed holding you can get a lot more stability.

Before investing a lot of money, I'd suggest you just try the 5D out on a trail alone. I'd also suggest renting before buying. Looks like lensrentals has GoPros and lots of different stabilizers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 01:34:05 PM »

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 11:52:32 PM »
You already own the camera and lens. Walk around with it with IS on and see if you like the results. If not, then decide next step.
Most likely for your end result, IS on lens will help a lot.

BionicTim

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 10:13:19 PM »
I'd like to add my twopenneth' as I have had great success with my 5Dmkiii and the 24-105mm kit lens.

I use a Manfrotto Automatic Monopod Neotec 685B in it's unextended mode. This adds a good vertical weight to help stabilise the camera. And I disagree with everyone that says that the IS is of no use while walking. Just keep the lens as wide as possible and hold the grip of the monopod in front of you. It's best to keep it short as you may walk into the monopod if it's extended too far.

Good luck and good hikeing!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 10:13:19 PM »