July 23, 2014, 12:48:23 AM

Author Topic: How do you think we should spend the money?  (Read 5594 times)

rocketdesigner

Re: How do you think we should spend the money?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2012, 04:47:49 PM »
Also at risk of getting clubbed like a baby seal...
[/quote]

lol...+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2012, 04:47:49 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
I use flash a lot - including bright sunshine - as it lets you control the light to bring out the subject from the background, I find turning down exposure compensation (-1/3) and flash exposure up (+1/3) just lifts the subject out of the background without using blur

Yes, this is a great idea. If no flash is permitted as you point out at a reception that raises a whole other issue with the WB.

Whatever the situation flash / no flash, higher ISO lower ISO , I would think a White Balance card needs to be included.  If a wedding photographer used the AWB or any presets that would be a cause for concern from my point of view.

Shoot in RAW and sort out later. White balance changes to much and taking candids at the receptions gives no opportunity to get the white balance for each shot.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 06:02:37 PM »
I use flash a lot - including bright sunshine - as it lets you control the light to bring out the subject from the background, I find turning down exposure compensation (-1/3) and flash exposure up (+1/3) just lifts the subject out of the background without using blur

Yes, this is a great idea. If no flash is permitted as you point out at a reception that raises a whole other issue with the WB.

Whatever the situation flash / no flash, higher ISO lower ISO , I would think a White Balance card needs to be included.  If a wedding photographer used the AWB or any presets that would be a cause for concern from my point of view.

I tend not to use AWB and carry one of these around incase i need a custom WB
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/77mm-77-mm-White-Balance-Lens-Cap-Custom-WB-Filter-NEW-/120792820669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1fd02bbd
the cards are good but take too long this you just pop on the lens snap a shot off in the general direction and set your custom balance,
here is a review of them
http://cameradojo.com/2007/05/31/white-balancing-lens-cap-review/
APS-H Fanboy

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45:15 AM »
the cards are good but take too long this you just pop on the lens snap a shot off in the general direction and set your custom balance,
here is a review of them

I've not used one of those though I know there are a variety of brands  ranging up to $125 USD as I recall.  For me the cards (specifically the WhiBal same guy makes LensAlign) are pretty quick (they have a target for instant focus) but most importantly I found them most accurate..spot on.  No right or wrong it seems as long as one is cognizant not to use AWB or post processing without a proper WB snapshot(s) prior. 
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 06:04:00 AM »
here is a review of them

I've not used one of those though I know there are a variety of brands  ranging up to $125 USD as I recall.  For me the cards (specifically the WhiBal same guy makes LensAlign) are pretty quick (they have a target for instant focus) but most importantly I found them most accurate..spot on.  No right or wrong it seems as long as one is cognizant not to use AWB or post processing without a proper WB snapshot(s) prior.
$125 damn these ones are like $2 or so hehehe you should get one and give it a go its pretty good even in crazy mixed light
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 06:04:00 AM »