February 19, 2017, 10:14:24 AM

Author Topic: AFMA Reikan FoCal vs Lens Align vs anything else  (Read 3531 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: AFMA Reikan FoCal vs Lens Align vs anything else
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »
Darn you all.  Especially you, Jack.  Now I have to go and re-check the AFMAs for all my lenses.

:D
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
    • Jack Douglas Waller
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:42 AM »
Thanks for posting the Canon links.  A little late for me but they have reaffirmed I'm now on track, i.e. test and adjust at typical shooting distance and ambient light and so forth.  Other comments and observations have been most helpful too.

Jack
6D   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II  1DX II

Mikehit

• 5DSR
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »
Another "problem" is being a compulsive "perfectionist" ;)  I should know!  I just wish perfectionist and perfection would occasionally align. But ..... at least I try.

Jack

Try being an 'impatient perfectionist'. It played havoc with making model aircraft when I was a kid.

rfdesigner

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2017, 12:03:26 PM »

My 4th choice is the dot tune method, it relies on the Canon focus indicator to tell you focus has been achieved, but it has a lot of latency that can throw off the accuracy.  Even so, it will greatly improve a lens that is badly in need of adjustment

I'm interested as to why you put Dot tune in 4th.

I've run it (camera on tripod, good light etc etc.) and it made badly out of whack focus accurate with the random variation neatly spread around the desired focus point.

I fail to see how other methods could work better without taking a huge number of shots.

My own rule of thumb is for any sampled random set I want a bare minimum of 30 samples, you can still only be sure of your simga to +/-25% with that but at least it's an idea. (95% sure that is)
6D, 30D, 383L+, 28f1.8, 50STM, 100f2.0, 5.5"f8 scope, 12"f5 scope.
Personal Gripe:   "I could care less about.." = there are things less important too me, this may be my most important thing.
"I couldn't care less about.." = this is the bottom of my list.. it is so unimportant.

Alex_M

• Canon 70D
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2017, 07:52:35 PM »
Actually, am I perfectionist in filling up my car with manufacturer recommended type of petrol (gas)?
Or is a surgeon perfectionist in washing his hands before attending the operation?
Is he techie by doing this? Obviously no.
I know full well and I had that negative experience shooting with miss calibrated long lens wide open. It ruined the gig for me. It takes 5-10 minutes then get AFMA right anyway. Why would not do it properly?
Yes, I like that to be prepared and be on top of the issue
But no one ever called me a techie for being well organised person.
There is a distinct line between compulsive gear centric perfectionist and someone that can utilise his technical knowledge in achieving better artistic outcomes.
Some people are happy shooting with their canon L glass and never gave a second thought that AFMA was required. I have met many professional photos that never ever calibrated their Canon L glass even once.
Only when you cross into big whites territory or shooting wide open with F1.4 primes you start to realise that AFMA is a nessesity due to very thin DoF
I guess, netizens of this forum have somewhat higher technical standards due to the fact that they are involved in very technical genres of photography, Astro, macro, panorama, BIF, wildlife, sports and action.  Heck, even studio photography can be technically challenging starting up multiple sources of light , modifiers and ratios. Well, if one cares of course :)
I guess one can call me techie, my day job is in technology heavy sector but far from being a technical employee or engineer.
My experience though is that creativity in many cases can suffer if tools required to maintain that creative outcomes is out of tune by mile.
So, in the outset: get you gear in tune, be prepared it helps to capture that unique moment of your life

Another "problem" is being a compulsive "perfectionist" ;)  I should know!  I just wish perfectionist and perfection would occasionally align. But ..... at least I try.

Jack

Jack Douglas

• Jack Douglas Waller
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 08:50:12 PM »
Actually, am I perfectionist in filling up my car with manufacturer recommended type of petrol (gas)?
Or is a surgeon perfectionist in washing his hands before attending the operation?
I know full well and I had that negative experience shooting with miss calibrated long lens wide open. It ruined the gig for me. It takes 5-10 minutes then get AFMA right anyway. Why would not do it properly?
There is a distinct line between compulsive gear centric perfectionist and someone that can utilise his technical knowledge in achieving better artistic outcomes.
Some people are happy shooting with their canon L glass and never gave a second thought that AFMA was required. I have met many professional photos that never ever calibrated their Canon L glass even once.
Only when you cross into big whites territory or shooting wide open with F1.4 primes you start to realise that AFMA is a nessesity due to very thin DoF
I guess, netizens of this forum have somewhat higher technical standards due to the fact that they are involved in very technical genres of photography, Astro, macro, panorama, BIF, wildlife, sports and action.  Heck, even studio photography can be technically challenging starting up multiple sources of light , modifiers and ratios. Well, if one cares of course :)
I guess one can call me techie, my day job is in technology heavy sector but far from being a technical employee or engineer.
My experience though is that creativity in many cases can suffer if tools required to maintain that creative outcomes is out of tune by mile.
So, in the outset: get you gear in tune, be prepared it helps to capture that unique moment of your life

Jack

WOW, Alex I have no issue with your approach.  The problem perfectionist person is me that I was referring to. :)  I am not satisfied until it's the best it can be but I don't judge others harshly because I subscribe to the live/die by the sword principle and I have no interest in dying.  ;)  The techie comment, I believe, was not being directed at you in particular, just the general idea was being thrown out to the group because it sometimes is true.

The key is to just accept every person's contribution for what it's worth and not take things too personally.  Your points were well presented, have merit and were interesting.

Jack
6D   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II  1DX II

Alex_M

• Canon 70D
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2017, 11:54:48 PM »
Jack, I am so sorry!.. OMG!

My post was not a direct reply to your comment but only in support of the points you have rightfully raised. I reject "techie" labels some people tends to slap over forum members that understand technology side of the photography a bit better. This forum is a great source of knowledge for open minded photogs.

Jack

WOW, Alex I have no issue with your approach.  The problem perfectionist person is me that I was referring to. :)  I am not satisfied until it's the best it can be but I don't judge others harshly because I subscribe to the live/die by the sword principle and I have no interest in dying.  ;)  The techie comment, I believe, was not being directed at you in particular, just the general idea was being thrown out to the group because it sometimes is true.

The key is to just accept every person's contribution for what it's worth and not take things too personally.  Your points were well presented, have merit and were interesting.

Jack

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2017, 11:54:48 PM »

Jack Douglas

• Jack Douglas Waller
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2017, 12:46:59 AM »
Nothing to be sorry about! :)

Jack

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2017, 12:46:59 AM »