October 25, 2014, 07:55:41 AM

Author Topic: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II  (Read 139294 times)

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II
« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2013, 04:36:40 PM »
There are plenty of situations where shallow DOF isn't needed or desired and many times when you can't "zoom with your feet" because you are stuck in one place and can't get closer or further back -- or you get eaten -- see shot below of a 10'+ alligator using the original 24-70 at, you guessed it 70mm, from around 20ft away.  If I'd had my 24 or 50 on, I wouldn't have been able to get close enough and I wanted good DOF for this shot.

Fun shot!  But if you were at 20' to that monster, you're a whole lot braver (or is it more foolish?   ;) ) than I. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2013, 04:36:40 PM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #376 on: July 09, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
There are plenty of situations where shallow DOF isn't needed or desired and many times when you can't "zoom with your feet" because you are stuck in one place and can't get closer or further back -- or you get eaten -- see shot below of a 10'+ alligator using the original 24-70 at, you guessed it 70mm, from around 20ft away.  If I'd had my 24 or 50 on, I wouldn't have been able to get close enough and I wanted good DOF for this shot.

Fun shot!  But if you were at 20' to that monster, you're a whole lot braver (or is it more foolish?   ;) ) than I.

I was within a couple of feet of my car door and he didn't even give me a sideways glance, but yes, probably not the world's smartest thing I've done.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 09, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »
When I first wanted a 2470 again, I was worried it would seem boring, compared to the 24 L, 35 L and 50 L. I shot my primes at 2.8 a lot to get a feel for what I would get, and I didn't like it, I wanted to go back to 1.4 and f2. But I got myself a dirt-cheap 2470 mk1 and started using it a lot and I liked it more than I would have though, specifically the ability to shoot very wide dramatic shots, and then close in for a portrait, wonderful. However, the 2470 mk1 is really poor in the corners wide open, so using the out of center focusing points was always disappointing, so I wanted to check out the mk2.

Eventually bought it, and what I thought would be boring dof, turned into overjoy with that EPIC AF! I even enabled the non-crosstype points I turned off the first week of having the 1dX, with the 2470 mk2 I can use them as any of the others. And the fun of being able to compose how I like, simply by choosing ANY point and track a subject with it AND to have the sharpness better than the center of the mk1 is juuuuust amazing.

So I sold my 24 L, and I'm thinking of selling the two others as well, they simply haven't been used since I got the 2470 mk2.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #378 on: July 09, 2013, 08:37:32 PM »

I'd be needing something with IS on it if that thing strolled past me.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 09, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »
I'd be needing something with IS on it if that thing strolled past me.

Ha ha ha  ;D ;D ;D

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 10, 2013, 12:00:59 AM »
I see that the price of the Canon 24-70 2.8L ll has recently gone up so I want to take the opportunity again to thank BuyDig.com and Canon Rumors for their recent promotion that saved me several hundred dollars on my purchase, and included a quality 82mm UV filter and fast, next-day shipping.

Thanks !

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 14, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »
Hi guys, just wondering how many of you use a circular polariser on your copy of the 24-70 f/2.8L II?
I haven't got a CP yet but considering maybe that I should have one for use with this lens.
If you do use one how often is it on the lens? Is it only for the odd occassion or more?
Also any recommendations on filter purchase? All my screw on filters are B+W and am looking at maybe the B+W MRC Nano XS-Pro. Expensive but maybe worth it. Especially as it's slim mount with front threads.
Suggestions welcome..
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #381 on: July 14, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #382 on: July 15, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »
Hi guys, just wondering how many of you use a circular polariser on your copy of the 24-70 f/2.8L II?
I haven't got a CP yet but considering maybe that I should have one for use with this lens.
If you do use one how often is it on the lens? Is it only for the odd occassion or more?
Also any recommendations on filter purchase? All my screw on filters are B+W and am looking at maybe the B+W MRC Nano XS-Pro. Expensive but maybe worth it. Especially as it's slim mount with front threads.
Suggestions welcome..
I splurged on the 82mm B+W MRC Nano XS-Pro and it is a beautiful filter but I can't tell much of a difference between it and my Hoya 77mm Circular Polarizing HD filter.  The construction is a bit better, but Hoya sent me a brand new one when I foolishly separated mine while under warranty.  I use a polarizer a lot in Florida for water and foliage and if you follow B+W & other's recommendations not to shoot under 28mm, it works great, although, I've shot plenty at 24mm.  It works fine if I'm careful about the "effect".

As for frequent vs. occasional use, that's up to you.  If you need one or use one already, it may be worth it, but if you mostly shoot people and don't get around the water, wet landscapes, foliage in the sun, big windows, etc. your better off spending your money elsewhere.

Also, using my polarizer leads me to my one gripe about the Mark II - plastic filter threads.  For $2k+, that seems ridiculous!

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 16, 2013, 04:04:36 AM »
Suggestions welcome..
I splurged on the 82mm B+W MRC Nano XS-Pro and it is a beautiful filter but I can't tell much of a difference between it and my Hoya 77mm Circular Polarizing HD filter.  The construction is a bit better, but Hoya sent me a brand new one when I foolishly separated mine while under warranty.  I use a polarizer a lot in Florida for water and foliage and if you follow B+W & other's recommendations not to shoot under 28mm, it works great, although, I've shot plenty at 24mm.  It works fine if I'm careful about the "effect".

As for frequent vs. occasional use, that's up to you.  If you need one or use one already, it may be worth it, but if you mostly shoot people and don't get around the water, wet landscapes, foliage in the sun, big windows, etc. your better off spending your money elsewhere.

Also, using my polarizer leads me to my one gripe about the Mark II - plastic filter threads.  For $2k+, that seems ridiculous!

thanks for the reply mackguyver. yeah I think it'll be something that's nice to have in the bag when I need it rather than something that i can't live without. however I often come across articles that say it's the most important filter you can have. maybe I'll just wait till money is flowing a bit more freely than it is now and get one then.
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #384 on: July 16, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »
thanks for the reply mackguyver. yeah I think it'll be something that's nice to have in the bag when I need it rather than something that i can't live without. however I often come across articles that say it's the most important filter you can have. maybe I'll just wait till money is flowing a bit more freely than it is now and get one then.
No problem, lastcoyote, and it and the ND filters are really about the only two common filters you can't replicate in Photoshop.  Here's a great site with more information on when & how to use them that might help you decide if you'll need or want one.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/polarizing-filters.htm
Just remember that they aren't great for true portraits, but I use them for shots of people at the beach (action shots) and as long as you're not using it at full strength, they can turn out well.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #385 on: July 16, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »
I have to throw out the "horses for courses" line.  I have the 16-35 II, 24-70 II, and 70-200 II, but I also have the 24 1.4 II, 50 1.2, 85 1.2 II, and 135.  I LOVE my primes and when I'm just walking around or shooting portraits, they are what I use.  When I'm shooting commercial work or carrying my gear on my back for long distances, I take the zooms.  There are plenty of situations where shallow DOF isn't needed or desired and many times when you can't "zoom with your feet" because you are stuck in one place and can't get closer or further back -- or you get eaten -- see shot below of a 10'+ alligator using the original 24-70 at, you guessed it 70mm, from around 20ft away.  If I'd had my 24 or 50 on, I wouldn't have been able to get close enough and I wanted good DOF for this shot.

You choose the best gear you have for a given shoot and hope you have the right lens on your camera at the right time.

Nice! Where's this?
What is truth?

bobby samat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Samat Photography
« Reply #386 on: July 16, 2013, 05:22:48 PM »
i have the b+w 82mm circular polarizer slim mrc.  i've  always been happy with the images when i'm using it.  cuts right through humidity and haze.  i use it on the 24-70 II.  if it does vignette at all, i haven't noticed.

as for the plastic filter threads . .

metal expands when exposed to sun/heat.  i was using the 24-70 along with the polarizer and a ND filter in the hawaiian sunshine.  the polarizer and ND expanded and stuck together, but came right off of the plastic threads of the lens.

the two filters wouldn't come apart until 11pm that night once they had cooled back down.

when i first got the lens i wasn't super happy about the plastic screws.  now i could care less.  the plastic threads aren't flimsy feeling.  i change filters all the time and i never worry about it. 

5D3, TS-E 17mm f/4L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2013, 06:56:55 PM »
metal expands when exposed to sun/heat.  i was using the 24-70 along with the polarizer and a ND filter in the hawaiian sunshine.  the polarizer and ND expanded and stuck together, but came right off of the plastic threads of the lens.

the two filters wouldn't come apart until 11pm that night once they had cooled back down

It doesn't even take Hawaiian sunshine.  Late afternoon in Boston today (85°) was enough to stick my 82mm 10-stop and Slim Käsemann CPL together, given the very thin ring to turn on the CPL.  Adorama has Polaroid filter wrenches ($5/set) that work for 82mm filters.  I just keep a set in every bag - which was good today, because after the combo stuck together on my TS-E 24L II, I wanted to use just the CPL on the 24-70L II.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2013, 06:56:55 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #388 on: July 17, 2013, 12:16:53 AM »
i have the b+w 82mm circular polarizer slim mrc.  i've  always been happy with the images when i'm using it.  cuts right through humidity and haze.  i use it on the 24-70 II.  if it does vignette at all, i haven't noticed.

as for the plastic filter threads . .

the two filters wouldn't come apart until 11pm that night once they had cooled back down.

when i first got the lens i wasn't super happy about the plastic screws.  now i could care less.  the plastic threads aren't flimsy feeling.  i change filters all the time and i never worry about it.
Hadn't thought about that and it gets pretty hot here in Florida, too!  Glad to hear they're robust, too.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #389 on: July 17, 2013, 12:18:17 AM »

Nice! Where's this?
It's St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge on the Gulf of Mexico near Tallahassee, FL.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #389 on: July 17, 2013, 12:18:17 AM »