August 23, 2014, 07:26:55 AM

Author Topic: Is this a Pre-announcement leak for the D800?  (Read 4927 times)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Is this a Pre-announcement leak for the D800?
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
Got it from Nikon Rumors: Brazilian sites leakes official D800 pics:

36.3mp
Native ISO of 6400
4/6FPS (Native/Battery Grip)

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fztop.com.br%2F2012%2F02%2F06%2Fnumeros-enormes-os-36-megapixels-da-nikon-d800%2F

The "D" on the D800 font looks a bit weird... maybe it's just the angle of the body that make it look so.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:34:28 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a Pre-announcement leak for the D800?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »
Exciting times!

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
The specs have been well established and photos shown, with only a few hours before the official announcement, the info is leaking everywhere.  Press releases were e-mailed today but were not supposed to be released before a certain day / time, but there are too many who receive them but publish without observing the requirements.

I'm sure it will be a good camera, Nikon is very savy about testing and turning out popular bodies, and so is Canon.

Note, all the copies of the press release have been removed, there may be some somewhere, but nikon has been demanding that they be pulled until midnight.

tt

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »
4x oversampling possible right, at 36MP? Over say a 3x3 oversampling for the 22MP or so of the rumors for 5D Mark II.
Wouldn't that be decent oversampling for 1080p on the D800?

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:50:55 PM »

Interesting...anyone know why the FPS would be higher with the Battery grip? Do they include some extra cache memory in there? Or does it provide a little bit of extra juice to 'overclock' something to get those extra 2 FPS? Or is it simply if you spend some extra money with Nikon, they reward you?
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »

Interesting...anyone know why the FPS would be higher with the Battery grip? Do they include some extra cache memory in there? Or does it provide a little bit of extra juice to 'overclock' something to get those extra 2 FPS? Or is it simply if you spend some extra money with Nikon, they reward you?

No idea of the technical basis today - seems to be a Nikon thing (I'd guess just as an inducement to spend money on the grip, I can't see a technical need).  In the film days, it was that way across brands - the extra power was needed for the film winder.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Positron

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »
Over-volting is not completely out of the question, but I wouldn't bet on it. If I had to take a wild guess, it would be to provide additional current to drive the built-in flash that fast? Does Nikon have any cameras with no built-in flash nor fixed grip (a la 5D)? Seems sort of silly, though. It's always possible it's just a marketing ploy.

Picsfor

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 08:12:50 PM »
This is gonna keep every one amused for a day or two.

But it may also give a good idea as to the truth to a 3D model being produced by Canon.
With a price tag of £3300 - i would certainly expect to see a 'baby' 1DX in a small form body without battery grip...

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 08:14:27 PM »

No idea of the technical basis today - seems to be a Nikon thing (I'd guess just as an inducement to spend money on the grip, I can't see a technical need).  In the film days, it was that way across brands - the extra power was needed for the film winder.

Nikon.  Whatever.   ;D

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »
I almost never look at the Nikon Rumors site and have never read comments over there before... nasty bunch.

Picsfor

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »
I almost never look at the Nikon Rumors site and have never read comments over there before... nasty bunch.
Funny, they say the same thing about this site!

So, it is now official, the D800 has been released, and sad as i am to say it, it does rather make the 5D2 look like old technology.

I have no desire for 36mp, but many of the others features are an improvement on the 5D2, 51pt AF, dual card slot, built in flash, up to 6fps with BG to name but some.

You will not see me jumping ship for this in any way, but it will put enormous pressure on Canon to respond or lose some considerable number of the MP brigade who can afford to make the move...

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 08:55:26 PM »
... nasty bunch.

Very.  That's one of the reasons we try and run a tight ship over here.  Nasty may be temporarily amusing, but generally unhelpful, and particularly intimidating for new users.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »

The equivalent to overclocking, with one of the main changes being moving the mirror.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:59:20 PM »

Of the three rumors websites - Canon, Nikon, Sony - the Nikon one is the worst. It is the slowest to load (sometimes it takes minutes, vs seconds for Canon/Sony) and they do "weekly wrapups" of "news", taking away front page space from rumors. I hope this website doesn't try to mimic it!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 09:09:53 PM »

The equivalent to overclocking, with one of the main changes being moving the mirror.

So, the extra power from the grip is actually required to move the mirror faster?  I doubt it - apparently, there's a hack to enable the higher frame rate without the grip. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses