December 11, 2017, 12:34:18 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM Coming April 5, 2017 [CR3]  (Read 55956 times)

LonelyBoy

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Re: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM Coming April 5, 2017 [CR3]
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2017, 03:49:11 PM »
What I meant is that you can compensate for the IS, but NOT for the aperture.
Yes, it's all about your priorities. Just do not make statements like "my priorities are more important than anyone's" ;)
Tripods and flashes are not the only alternatives for IS.
Hand held video needs IS ... who's arguing?
"Hiking:  slow + IS all day ..." - I'm doing fine with 'slow without IS'
FF is not about the DoF, it is about extra light.

His whole point was that in many cases you cannot compensate for the IS, and he listed several examples.  The ironic thing is you're (implying, technically, rather than) stating that "your priorities are more important than his" by making sweeping statements that IS isn't important because you "can compensate for it"(even though you often can't).

Isn't it great that there's a huge lens portfolio out there to choose from?  That's the real reason I went into Canon instead of Nikon or anyone else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2017, 03:49:11 PM »

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #226 on: March 20, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »
There has been a whole hell lot of photography without IS than there has with . Like I tell my kids, we got along just fine without________.  It's a perk, enjoy it if you must be it's not needed just wanted.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #227 on: March 20, 2017, 03:56:57 PM »
Yes, it's all about your priorities. Just do not make statements like "my priorities are more important than anyone's" ;)

His whole point was that in many cases you cannot compensate for the IS, and he listed several examples.  The ironic thing is you're (implying, technically, rather than) stating that "your priorities are more important than his" by making sweeping statements that IS isn't important because you "can compensate for it"(even though you often can't).

Isn't it great that there's a huge lens portfolio out there to choose from?  That's the real reason I went into Canon instead of Nikon or anyone else.

Thanks to both and a good discussion here.  There's a misconception that people are all-in on either faster max aperture or IS.  The world isn't so black and white.

I generally prefer IS over speed because what I shoot is rewarded with such gear.  I do a lot of capturing my life, travels, etc. in poorly lit places where I climb the ISO dial and things aren't moving so much.  For me, IS is the better call but I fully appreciate others see it different and have different needs.

- A

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #228 on: March 20, 2017, 04:06:04 PM »
There has been a whole hell lot of photography without IS than there has with . Like I tell my kids, we got along just fine without________.  It's a perk, enjoy it if you must be it's not needed just wanted.

That would be like someone in 1908 telling their friend "Man has traveled a whole hell lot further on the horse than we ever have in a horseless carriage."   :P

Technology advances as time goes on, and we'd be wise to avail ourselves of it if it's useful.  That does not make us soft or lack competence -- it just makes us resourceful.

- A

LonelyBoy

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2017, 05:17:54 PM »
That would be like someone in 1908 telling their friend "Man has traveled a whole hell lot further on the horse than we ever have in a horseless carriage."   :P

Technology advances as time goes on, and we'd be wise to avail ourselves of it if it's useful.  That does not make us soft or lack competence -- it just makes us resourceful.

- A

Forget horses and cars.  This is more like saying we got along just fine without washing machines and dryers.  Technically we did.  This is much better, and almost everyone who lived without agrees, and just about no one pines for the days when you had to literally wash all your clothes by hand, or says it was "more pure".

ecka

• EOS 5DS R
  • Size Matters!
    • flickr
« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2017, 05:29:04 PM »
And why would I need a DSLR for this kind of "fun"? Why not just use your phone?

Uh...just because you shoot at f/16, doesn't mean a smartphone is suddenly the same quality as a canon DSLR.
There's more determining image quality than f-stop equivalence and diffraction.

Not to mention a smartphone is clumsy to hold, you can't see the screen in bright light, it has inferior IS to canon cameras, can't change focal length, etc.

Not like I shoot at f/16 all the time, but in bright light it's fun to shoot at f/16 and have a massive DoF, I like seeing where I was in the picture, the environment.

Shooting pictures without thinking or even looking seems like a pretty boring way of killing time.

Taking pictures is about being in the moment for me. It's about going outside and having fun.

It's not about razor thin DoF for me, which is why I don't care about fast full frame lenses.

I'm the typical APS-C rebel user, I shoot in natural light, I only shoot JPEG, I don't use flashes or timers or tripods, my cameras is set to center point AF and aperture priority. I don't "edit" pictures afterwards, I shoot on the spot. I don't know what Lightroom is, and I don't care. I don't need an EVF either, I prefer being in the moment and looking at life instead.

I just have fun with my camera. That's the point of rebels, having fun. Canon knows this too, every rebel video they put out or video about EF-S lenses is about going outside and having fun! We are not professional photographers. That doesn't mean we don't know how to use a camea, we do.

The canon pancake f/2.8 lenses are perfect for people like us. They are light, easy to carry, sharp, and let in just enough light. You don't feel bad about banging the lenses against things, they're cheap and get used by thousands of people. This 35mm will be similar I believe, with the bonus of having IS.

Canon understands us, they know what we want. Good quality cameras and lenses that don't cost a lot of money and are intuitive and fun to use. This video about the 24mm f/2.8 shows they understand us, we are the typical camera user who just wants to go outside and carry their camera with them to capture moments. We represent the largest users of DSLR, we're casual shooters. We don't get money from taking pictures, we do it because we get enjoyment out of it.

https://youtu.be/W_f3iUlGHO4

This has always been the case for Canon APS-C. For people who want expensive glass there are full frame Canon lenses, or Fuji, or Sigma, or Leica, there are plenty of choices for everyone.

The rest of us will keep having fun with our cheap EF-S workhorse lenses that are good enough to take great pictures and cheap enough to be used without worrying about damage. It's about fun for us.

I don't shoot f/16, but I thought that you do, to get everything in focus, which is why a phone or a Point&Shoot camera could be perfect for those sunny days of "fun" :), because shooting f/16 while not even looking, kind of tells us how much you care about the result and quality :).
And for the rest, you must be confusing me with someone else. I've said it before, fast EF-S primes make little sense to me, just like replacing them with an IS.
6D + EF28/1.8USM + EF40/2.8STM + EF50/1.8STM + EF100/2USM + Σ150/2.8'APO'Macro + Σ'APO'2x'TC + 430EXII

ecka

• EOS 5DS R
  • Size Matters!
    • flickr
« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »
35mm EF-S would be the equivalent of a 50, so I think it will be a macro. The 60 (96 equiv) is nice, but having a 50 macro is good too. I'm sure the majority of Canon sales are for the crop sensor, so why not throw them some exclusive bones? FYI, I have used the EF-S 60 macro with my full frame Canons by using an extension tube.

Exactly. We need a new EF 60mm Macro ;). Preferably F2.

A 60mm f/2 crop macro lens???
Tamron may have the lens you are looking for. ;)

Of course not. I wrote "EF", didn't I?
6D + EF28/1.8USM + EF40/2.8STM + EF50/1.8STM + EF100/2USM + Σ150/2.8'APO'Macro + Σ'APO'2x'TC + 430EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »

slclick

« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »

- A

Flawed analogy. A lens is a lens. You might as well as said a rocket. Your statement alludes to ALL lenses having IS with that type of comparison. True resourcefulness is shooting without IS lol. fwiw, I like it on certain lenses. Lenses I own, actually that would be 3 out of 8. But if any outside of the 100-400 didn't have it, I wouldn't think twice.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:33:17 PM by slclick »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2017, 05:36:50 PM »

- A

Flawed analogy. A lens is a lens. You might as well as said a rocket. Your statement alludes to ALL lenses having IS with that type of comparison. True resourcefulness is shooting without IS lol. fwiw, I like it on certain lenses. Lenses I own, actually that would be 3 out of 8. But if any outside of the 100-400 didn't have it, I wouldn't think twice.

What would I have given to add IS to my Pentax 6x7 back in the eighties ?!

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »

- A

You're correct and you can beat up the analogy all you like, but the point is still valid -- we may not need certain tech but it unlocks the ability for us to do more. 

And keep in mind that something you file under 'the very basics I need to do the job' may have been similarly deemed to be an unnecessary perk by the photographers that came before you.  Times change and our expectations of technology change.

And FTR, I'm not in the camp of spec-list obsessives that melt down if Canon doesn't keep pace with competitors on feature set items like IBIS, 4K, eye AF detection, etc. -- I just think IS in particular is peachy.   :D   (My count:  I have IS on 6 of my 8 lenses personally, only my 40 pancake and venerable 50 f/1.4 USM lack IS.)

- A

ecka

• EOS 5DS R
  • Size Matters!
    • flickr
« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2017, 05:56:44 PM »

Thanks to both and a good discussion here.  There's a misconception that people are all-in on either faster max aperture or IS.  The world isn't so black and white.

I generally prefer IS over speed because what I shoot is rewarded with such gear.  I do a lot of capturing my life, travels, etc. in poorly lit places where I climb the ISO dial and things aren't moving so much.  For me, IS is the better call but I fully appreciate others see it different and have different needs.

- A

Guys, let's be honest. We choose IS for different reasons than fast aperture. Why are you trying to tell me that a "horse" and a "donkey" are interchangeable? They serve different purposes. You like "donkeys" more, I understand that. I just don't need IS for 90% of what I shoot. I'm fine with shooting landscapes at F6.3 on FF without the IS, or using F1.8-F2.8 in low light.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:59:30 PM by ecka »

Don Haines

• posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #236 on: March 20, 2017, 06:01:46 PM »
IS is a tool. If you like it for what you are doing at the moment, use it..... If you don't like it, turn it off....

It is better to have a tool and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

The best camera is the one in your hands

ecka

• EOS 5DS R
  • Size Matters!
    • flickr
« Reply #237 on: March 20, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »
IS is a tool. If you like it for what you are doing at the moment, use it..... If you don't like it, turn it off....

Or just use a different tool while you don't need that one ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #237 on: March 20, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »

slclick

« Reply #238 on: March 20, 2017, 07:24:14 PM »

Ok, that is reasoning I accept and agree with. I stand corrected. IS is good! (I never said it wasn't)

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #239 on: March 20, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »

Ok, that is reasoning I accept and agree with. I stand corrected. IS is good! (I never said it wasn't)

Now apply that same logic to tilty flippy screens.  Works for that, too.  :D

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #239 on: March 20, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »