May 23, 2017, 04:58:34 PM

Author Topic: DPReview Tours Canon's Utsunomiya Factory, Where the L is Made  (Read 4239 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
DPReview had the priviledge of touring Canon’s Utsunomiya factory during their time at CP+ in Yokohama, Japan.

From DPReview:

Recently, following the CP+ 2017 show in Yokohama, we were granted the enormous honor of a guided tour through Canon’s Utsunomiya lens factory. Canon has been making lenses in Utsunomiya since 1977, and we were the first journalists ever to be allowed to see the L-series assembly line. View the full tour

The best part? Robots that deliver various components around the factory on pre-programmed routes.

image credit // DPReview

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

BeenThere

• Canon 70D
Re: DPReview Tours Canon's Utsunomiya Factory, Where the L is Made
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:28:21 AM »
Interesting that the Canon plant had some Pentax and Nikon cut in half or display products. I guess they do get ideas from each other.

rrcphoto

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »
Interesting that the Canon plant had some Pentax and Nikon cut in half or display products. I guess they do get ideas from each other.

where did you see that?

BeenThere

• Canon 70D
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »

where did you see that?
Saw a Pentax camera cut in half and a Nikon tele lens display in the series of photos called something like "what we saw that was cut in half". There were abut 15 images in the folder.

Correction.  I looked again and these images were from CP+ Show.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:10:29 PM by BeenThere »

Chaitanya

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »
Damn, I missed that article. These lens factory tours never cease to amaze.

LordofTackle

• Canon 70D
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
Very interesting article. Nice to see how one's lenses are actually produced.
And very funny that they use our german word "Meister" for their most experienced technicians :D

- Sebastian

IglooEater

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »
Waaaaiiiit... the 16-35 takes 24 hours to make and costs $2000. If production cost is $1500 and if materials are a third of the cost, that leaves $42/hr for the workers and machinery.  suddenly that lens looks dirt cheap.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »

Crosswind

• EOS M3
  • The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:33:04 PM »
And very funny that they use our german word "Meister" for their most experienced technicians :D

Hi Sebastian - yeah I was surprised about that too  :) I'm kinda curious why!

The factory seems to be not far off of Fukushima. Hope that doesn't mean anything  :D

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »

The factory seems to be not far off of Fukushima. Hope that doesn't mean anything  :D

Several possibilities come to mind:
1/ It is a misunderstanding/mistranslation by the people leading the tour. After all the masters are also referred to as 'Takumi'.
2/ It is a throw down from the origins of the camera business where they copied German cameras and lenses, maybe they 'borrowed'some other terminology too.

The way I read it they are called Takumi, which means master craftsman or meister.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

LordofTackle

• Canon 70D
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »

1/ It is a misunderstanding/mistranslation by the people leading the tour. After all the masters are also referred to as 'Takumi'.
2/ It is a throw down from the origins of the camera business where they copied German cameras and lenses, maybe they 'borrowed'some other terminology too.

The way I read it they are called Takumi, which means master craftsman or meister.

I've recently seen some documentary about a Japanese moving company and they also hat three "Master Movers" that they called "Meister". The explanation was that their boss was in germany decades ago and there he learned about the term and its meaning (expert craftsman) and decided to use it for his own company. :)

-Sebastian

rrcphoto

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 01:49:04 PM »
I find it incredible how much experience some of these people have that are creating the lenses we whine about all the time ;)

Sharlin

• Canon 6D
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »

The related interview article mentioned that the 2011 event caused some roof segments to collapse and some equipment were damaged. The repairs (and hardening things to better withstand future quakes) took a few months.

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »

Or a third possibility. The terms are interchangeable, so they used the Western term, figuring that their visitors would understand the meaning of meister more readily.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 03:39:01 PM »

Or a third possibility. The terms are interchangeable, so they used the Western term, figuring that their visitors would understand the meaning of meister more readily.

Very true. For sure the word Meister, in our Latin alphabet, is not written on the badge referred to, so there is an element of translation in it.

Having said all that, lets not get too concerned with minutiae, rather lets revel in the levels of skill, quality, and commitment Canon as a company are dedicating to getting us such competent gear.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

magarity

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 04:29:13 PM »
I hope they have an upcoming generation of craftsmen(craftpersons?) who can accumulate that experience. I read an article a while back about how Patek Phillippe couldn't hire young people to learn watchmaking because it takes 30 years of apprentice work to get good enough to be a master and that was too long of a haul for modern attention spans.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 04:29:13 PM »