April 26, 2017, 02:04:09 PM

Author Topic: C-Log Coming to the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?  (Read 12048 times)

goldenhusky

• Canon AE-1
Re: C-Log Coming to the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 10:10:39 PM »
Even though C-Log was not my most preferred feature as a 5D4 owner I am really happy if they really add C-Log. I guess that would also make at least some wedding photographers happy. A real good news for me would be Canon allowing 4k RAW out through HDMI but based on the information I heard so far the H/W they put in may not support 4K out

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 10:10:39 PM »

goldenhusky

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 10:13:51 PM »
The MK IV while not selling poorly, is not wildly successful either, and the tough climate for camera sales probably induces Canon to provide more features if they boost sales.

Just curious if there are any published reports of 5D4 sales figures?

goldenhusky

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 10:21:27 PM »

To add a bit more space between it and the 6d2 ?

Me thinks this is to try and stop some professionals from jumping ship especially the new Sony pro body rumored to be announced next month, of course will that be as reliable as Canon or will it be a half baked coffee warmer that Sony expects customers to do QC for them is a million dollar question  :P

An extra couple of fps wouldn't go amiss either!
+1 on that fps

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 11:17:38 PM »
The MK IV while not selling poorly, is not wildly successful either, and the tough climate for camera sales probably induces Canon to provide more features if they boost sales.

Just curious if there are any published reports of 5D4 sales figures?

The 5DIV is currently listed as Amazon's #3 seller among all DSLRs – the only full frame camera in the top 10. So, I'm guessing that "not wildly successful" translates into "I didn't buy it, so therefore it can't be a success."
Like Like x 1 Dislike Dislike x 1 View List

rrcphoto

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:17 PM »

how exactly do you know that?

in NA .. it's #3 in amazon's DSLR list which is pretty unheard of for a full frame dslr 6 months after release. on BHPhotovideo it's #1 on the DSLR list and #1 on the camera list.

... it's supposed to do better than that?

Chaitanya

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 12:13:10 AM »
while rumoured addition of C-Log is a positive change of attitude by Canon, Canon should really kill that overbloated crappya** Mjpeg format of video.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 12:58:27 AM »
Just curious, on my prior comment about a firmware update like this possibly being a course correction or admission Canon should have offered this at launch (and was withholding it deliberately), with what data would they make this course correction / upgrade decision?

If the firmware only offers this -- a potentially important video functionality -- it might imply that Canon has information above and beyond basic 5D4 sales to make this call.  Are there any Canon-branded items more expressly intended for video that might peg that 5D4's weren't selling as well as it could to the video crowd?

Put another way, I'm just curious if low sales of (I'm riffing here) video-centric 5D4 reseller kits or critical video third party accessories (mics, monitors, shoulder rigs, etc.) might get back to Canon and lead to the theory that the lack of C-Log was the reason.

Again:  zero interest in video.  I'm just interested how Canon turns the knobs it does with existing product lines, and what data / intel they might use to make those calls.  Thoughts appreciated, thx.

- A

P.S.  And on something I do care about, why didn't the relatively modest bump to 7 fps stills not set off the same 'action needed' alarms at Canon?   ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 12:58:27 AM »

Jopa

• Canon 6D
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 01:59:34 AM »
I would hope they do not forget about the 1DX Mark II!

Had to login to upvote this post! If it happens the 1dx2 will be a killer camera.

tpatana

• 5DSR
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 02:20:07 AM »
I'm quite newbie in regards to video. So assuming it gets the C-log, how would I use that to my benefit? Do I need to apply some curves on post process, or how?

tmroper

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 02:41:20 AM »
Just curious, on my prior comment about a firmware update like this possibly being a course correction or admission Canon should have offered this at launch (and was withholding it deliberately), with what data would they make this course correction / upgrade decision?

Panasonic only offers their V-Log on the GH4 as a $100 option (and they started offering it well after launch I think).  And as I understand it, the upcoming GH5 will be the same deal.  And both of those cameras are seriously aimed at the video market.  So Canon's not the only one messing around with when and how to offer log, and neither approach seems to make all that much sense, but I don't think you can read too much into it. 

cenkog

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 04:00:35 AM »
I'm curious -- I'm not a video person (at all) but I always find post-market 'upgrades' like the 7D1's firmware upgrade as a chance to breathe energy into a brand.  Mid-cycle of a product, legit upgrades like this make sense to signal the brand will still be around for a while / a refresh isn't coming soon.

But to do it within the first year might imply two very different things:

• It wasn't ready at time of launch but now they've got it working well and feel comfortable offering it.
  • It may have always been working on the camera but it was locked out in firmware to protect higher brand-level camera prices.  Perhaps enough people complained that feature wasn't included / Canon underestimated the necessity of that feature such that Canon felt the need to unlock it.
Just curious why Canon wouldn't have this at launch but they are offering/unlocking it now

- A

In the past, Canon upgraded video capabilities because professional broadcast people were willing to buy large numbers of cameras if the features were added.  I suspect that this time, Canon marketing is trying to prevent broadcasters from purchasing a different brand.  The MK IV while not selling poorly, is not wildly successful either, and the tough climate for camera sales probably induces Canon to provide more features if they boost sales.

Not every broadcaster needs a expensive camera and $50,000 lens.  I'd suspect that there is a large market for local television stations, for example.  There is really no need for a high end camera to do interviews, or videos of traffic accidents, or even produce local commercials where the cost is a huge factor.

After Canon's 5DMKIV & Canon 1DXMKII "video fiasco", hopeless efforts to save the very bad situation...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:20:10 AM by cenkog »

cenkog

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 04:09:43 AM »

how exactly do you know that?

in NA .. it's #3 in amazon's DSLR list which is pretty unheard of for a full frame dslr 6 months after release. on BHPhotovideo it's #1 on the DSLR list and #1 on the camera list.

... it's supposed to do better than that?

10th in all "Amazon Interchangeable Cameras" list...

hne

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 04:23:31 AM »
I'm quite newbie in regards to video. So assuming it gets the C-log, how would I use that to my benefit? Do I need to apply some curves on post process, or how?

Yep. C-Log is (rather simplified) a smooth curve that never truly reaches pure white, instead of the default Rec709 luma transfer function that hits the roof and burns all that's brighter. You need a LUT to get proper colour out of it, but you gain a stop or two extra artifact-free (since there are no knee points, and colour hasn't been enhanced in a irreversable way before storing) hilights or shadows depending on how you manage your exposure.

The three priorities addressed by C-Log, as stated by Canon:
Priority 1 Optimized Tonal Reproduction under Normal Scene Illumination
Priority 2 Lowering the Noise Floor for Precision Image Reproduction
Priority 3 Maximizing Exposure Latitude for High Dynamic Range Scenes

You can read all about C-Log here: http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/white_papers/White_Paper_Clog_optoelectronic.pdf
Figure 9 on page 10 is especially nice.
I'm not earning any money on my photography.
Preferred gear: 5D II, 17-40/4L, 35/1.4L, 85/1.8, 70-200/2.8L IS
For video: 70D, Sigma 18-35/1.8 Art

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 04:23:31 AM »

benkam

• Rebel SL1
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 04:51:20 AM »
Whoa, adding C-Log would be pretty big in the Canon DSLR video world, wouldn't it?

Could this possibly be only part, but a big one, of a bigger video-oriented firmware upgrade? They could also add things like focus peaking and zebras if they wanted to, right? Could Canon also offer a newer, more efficient codec alongside, or to replace, MJPEG?

JJJandak

• SX60 HS
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 05:30:11 AM »
Could this possibly be only part, but a big one, of a bigger video-oriented firmware upgrade? They could also add things like focus peaking and zebras if they wanted to, right? Could Canon also offer a newer, more efficient codec alongside, or to replace, MJPEG?
All is possible if they want to do it, except MJPEG.. They choose reability and quality, other codecs will makes issues.
I shoot video with mk IV for some whille and I am happy even without all that features other brands offer..
Like Like x 1 View List

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 05:30:11 AM »