October 20, 2014, 08:30:48 AM

Author Topic: D800 is finally here  (Read 21263 times)

MyPhotographer

• Power Shot G16
  • EOS 6D
    • View Profile
Re: D800 is finally here
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 01:50:58 AM »
See http://cameraelectronic.blogspot.com.au/ for a post from a local Pro Camera supplier.

Now to see if the 5D Mk III comes out with the magical 39 Mpx :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 01:50:58 AM »

hoousi

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 02:41:45 AM »
The sample images are crazy, I'm just wondering how the average Joe like me will convince his wife that the D800 is better if all she does is cry out loud that she can see every little pimple or freckle on her face. My wife just said that she only accepts portraits of her in summer with make-up if I point the 85L with 5dmkii on her......  ;D

briansquibb

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 03:04:56 AM »
The sample images are crazy, I'm just wondering how the average Joe like me will convince his wife that the D800 is better if all she does is cry out loud that she can see every little pimple or freckle on her face. My wife just said that she only accepts portraits of her in summer with make-up if I point the 85L with 5dmkii on her......  ;D

Get a 135 soft focus  :D :D :D

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 03:58:57 AM »
There's my new camera, but sure feels odd leaving Canon after 22 years.
are you being serious?so you aren't even going to wait to see canons response before jumping ship and you say you have used canon for 22 years i do not believe you!

Bobster

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 04:05:54 AM »
I've been reading all these comments about how Canon shouldn't introduce features on a 5D/7D replacement that would cut into the sales of the 1DX (ie you can't have both resolution and IQ AND quality AF), but from what I'm seeing here, Nikon don't seem that bothered by such issues.
If I'm reading this right, the D800 has 36mp against the D4s 16.2 and they both have the 51 point AF system.
I can see that the D4 has other improvements (such as the maximum 11 fps as opposed to the D800s 5 fps), but it looks like they're not holding back much on the features on this one.
Does Canon always have to split its cameras to appeal to markets such as one for the sports/wildlife section and the other for studios/weddings/landscapes?
To me, a good all rounder (which is what I think the D800 is) would appeal to everyone (more sales).
Just some thoughts.     

kirillica

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 04:18:10 AM »
stock photographers will be happy: they need more megapixels :)

c'mon, Canon, do smth for stockers too! :)

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 04:38:16 AM »
The sample video looks great. I wonder if moire for video will be a problem with the way theyre sampling from the sensor? Any one know if its a potential problem? Also i read something on dpreview.

"If you want to know the prime reason for such a high resolution sensor, here it is: Videographers can shoot full HD with DX lenses as well as FX. This gives the D800 a versatility in video that nothing else can match"

Is that true?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 04:38:16 AM »

Bob_McBob

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 05:06:05 AM »
The D800 is the benchmark by which we will measure Canon's failings with the 5D Mark III.

9 point autofocus, anyone?  Bring on the Canon apologists.

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 05:22:14 AM »
I've had a look at the sample photos Nikon put up on their website - per pixel sharpness isn't at all impressive but the amount of detail you get to work with is staggering, even on the "regular" D800.  I'd probably go for the D800E, myself, even though I can imagine I'd run into moire a good bit it should be reasonably simple to just downsample and wipe it out.

Their sole ISO 640 image (from the D800) has a fair amount of noise visible in the shadow area, don't know if ETTR would help that (although the "original data size" suggests to me that it could've been bumped up in exposure a good amount) but it's a pleasing type of noise distribution, and I didn't see any noise in the subject areas.  Good detail on small patterns too.

Not a bad release so far, looks like!  Hope the 5D3 can catch up, but we keep hearing it'll be a "low mp" release.

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 05:34:12 AM »
per pixel sharpness isn't at all impressive

I think we need RAW files to evaluate that, jpeg compression (even if mild) does soften the files some. But one will surely notice the somewhat reduced sharpness in corners of the lenses with this pixel density. Still this is exactly the type sensor I'd like to see in a Canon camera too...

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 05:56:46 AM »
stock photographers will be happy: they need more megapixels :)

c'mon, Canon, do smth for stockers too! :)

Exactly :) in stock more megapixels is better.

I hpe canon will came with an APS-H (1D4) extended at FF, a 27 MP sensor with 1Dmk4 ISO performance will ''destroy'' the new D800.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:01:58 AM by nicku »

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 06:22:16 AM »
I'm a happy 5D2 owner, but now it feels like I'm in the wrong camp!

More pixels, more video, and most importantly: much more AF!

5DX, where are you, I don't want to change system for the AF.

kirillica

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 06:26:36 AM »
yeah and they are to cheap to buy the right tool for the job.
if you need MF quality you better buy a MF camera.

if you donĀ“t make enough money to buy a MF camera for your job you obviously doing something wrong.

"oh finally there is the D800 so i can do my job and earn money"    ;D

and of course 80% here, who show medicore flicker websites, need 36 MP..... sure.   ;D
MF is a whole another world. for example, Hassel has only 1 focusing point with true focus and you cannot do series with focus shift and etc. So pro photographers require FF body functionality with near to MF picture quality. If Hassel does the same good job Canon/Nikon done with speed, focus and etc, then switching to MF will be massive.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 06:26:36 AM »

Canon-F1

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2012, 06:28:37 AM »
MF is a whole another world. for example, Hassel has only 1 focusing point with true focus and you cannot do series with focus shift and etc. So pro photographers require FF body functionality with near to MF picture quality. If Hassel does the same good job Canon/Nikon done with speed, focus and etc, then switching to MF will be massive.

there are other MF cameras then hasselblads.....

kirillica

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2012, 06:31:31 AM »

there are other MF cameras then hasselblads.....
Sure. And there are another FF cameras besides Canon. So what? :) We are talking about market leaders, not niche players ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2012, 06:31:31 AM »