December 21, 2014, 07:07:53 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II Announced  (Read 27603 times)

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II Announced
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
canon is lost. with 4kcine zooms,c300 and now 24-70 lens. no offense fan boys.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »

craigc

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »
I believe this lens is skewed toward the video guys. 82mm is very common for video, IF and Internal zoom ( I think ) both work well for 4x4 matte boxes and follow focus units, and the lack of IS, which is usually turned off for motion capture anyway.

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com | photography
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2012, 02:03:47 PM »

What do you mean lost?  Do you mean they aren't making everything that you want them to make?

Let's be honest, the old school canon people obviously care more about straight photography and not much about video.  If canon only catered to people like you then they would be lost.  Let's look at other companies that decided to not progress with the market's demands:

Every single US automaker - people have been buying big trucks for years, so let's keep doing that and screw these babyman eco battery cars...

RIM - touch phones are toys...

Kodak - digital will never catch on...

Borders - people only want paper books...

The list can go on.

I'm sorry to say it, but video is the future.  I want photography first, and it seems like you do also, but we are not the majority.  And who cares if they incorporate video into their amazing dslrs, and who cares if they make lenses that work great for video and stills?

People saying canon is lost, and they are just screwing everyone don't really know what they are talking about.  They might be screwing a few people, but if they just made stuff that you wanted they wouldnt even stay in the dslr business. 
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

phischeye

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2012, 02:19:11 PM »

Question 1.  Multiple Choice (mark all that apply)

The lack of IS in this lens at this price is caused by:-

a) Canon have found the upper limit on image quality possible with image stabilisation using what is, after all, a wobbly lens element held in place by motors and springs and for this lens chose to tie the glass down tightly?

b) Canon don't want to kill any remaining sales of the 24-105mm f4 IS, which has been around for a while and has nicely paid back its investment already? 

c) Canon found they had sufficient image quality to do serious damage to the the L- prime lens market if they put this lens out with IS, because then only the bokeh-chasers would have any use for the big f1.4s? 

Question 2.  Short Answers

Discuss your answer to Q1, illustrating with visual aids, MTF charts, WTF charts and stuff pasted off the web as appropriate.

As far as I know, IS is not so good for the video folks. If canon releases a video centric 5DM3 and some video concept camera, this new non IS camera might be for them.

KitH

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2012, 03:12:10 PM »

As far as I know, IS is not so good for the video folks. If canon releases a video centric 5DM3 and some video concept camera, this new non IS camera might be for them.

IS does have a place in video capture, especially in electronic newsgathering when things are more often handheld.  It's when the camera is on a tripod that IS becomes a mixed blessing - but that's true for tripod mounted stills too, several lenses detect and disable IS when the vibrations appear to be consistent with tripod use.  So the Arri users with their Cooke lenses aren't likely to be in the market for IS. 

That said, there are many who like devices such as the Steadicam Merlin, I've used one, it's astonishing that something so simple works as well as it does.  IS can be an issue because when you reach the end of its' travel it lets go in an unpredictable way and that can give the framing a kick until it recovers again.

Lots of people here tonight are having a pop at Canon.   For what it's worth, I can envisage the future of video and stills converging on the APS-C / Super35 sized image circles and using the PL mount with more intelligent electronic interfaces.  If that's true then Canon have it about right.

canonluvr

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2012, 03:20:48 PM »
I'm glad I bought a new 24-70mm for 1100euro next month.
No way this is worth 2000$

timkbryant

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »
Well then. I had been debating either the 24-70 or the 24-105.

Since I am still a ways away from buying that lens, I would have been interested in the 24-70 MkII. Well, not at that price. But that's just me.
Bodies: 5D Mk III; 1000D
Lenses: EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L; EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
Flash: 580 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »

ions

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • ions' flickr
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2012, 03:31:52 PM »
For people who are supposed to be visual the dismissal of this lens with its impressive MTF is disappointing. Like I said above my initial reaction too is disappointment, I'd have liked IS but if it had that it'd be bigger and heavier and you'd all be whining about how feeble you are and can't carry it. The same thing happened with the 1Dx specs, there hadn't been a single sample shot worth looking at and many of you were selling your gear and going to Nikon.

It's quite possible that this lens is expensive because it has very expensive glass in it. Maybe it's been designed to work well on a very high MP 5DIII? Sensors are getting close to outpacing glass. Making sure that isn't the case is not a cheap endeavour. It's entirely possible they've improved on what they learned with the 70-200 MK II and that would make this a very nice lens to use. Potentially. I'm going to reserve my judgement for when I see what it can actually do.
Gear: Canon EOS 5DIII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70 ƒ2.8L | Canon 100 ƒ2.8L | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC, 804RC2 head.
flickr

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »

With the price tag on MRK II- I hope i can buy this lens for $950...stay tune for an update

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pho/2836486105.html
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

kautzy

« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2012, 03:48:13 PM »
hi!

i'm new to this forum, 24-70 f/2.8 for 2300 euros (thats $ 3050,-) made me sign up for an account ;-)

after reading all the comments in this thread i have to say that i totally agree with all of you arguing that canon might have gone nuts... that price can never be justifiable keeping in mind that the current 24-70 and the 24-105 f/4.0 IS are both excellent lenses.

either that's how canon is trying to deal with the lower business volume caused by various environmental desasters or the lens will sale much cheaper than the MSRP once available.

wouldn't be too surprised if the actual price will drop to 200 euros/300 usd over the current 24-70 (I) models price in april.

for example the 24-105 currently has an MSRP of 1299 euros here in Austria and sells for 880 euros in various online stores...

i'll wait and see. but if there won't be a significant price drop in April they are going to push people towards nikon.

chris

japhoto

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Japhoto blog
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »
For people who are supposed to be visual the dismissal of this lens with its impressive MTF is disappointing.

I'm pretty much with you on this one, the MTF looks impressive and yes the lens probably has really expensive glass in it which reflects to the price.

I'm also going to see how it reviews and when the retailers get one here, I'll probably take it out for a spin.

That said, I'm still pretty certain that this lens isn't for me because of the lack of IS. It will be interesting to see if I can get more keepers with the MkII than I do with my MkI.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2012, 04:29:32 PM »

What do you mean lost?  Do you mean they aren't making everything that you want them to make?

Let's be honest, the old school canon people obviously care more about straight photography and not much about video.  If canon only catered to people like you then they would be lost.  Let's look at other companies that decided to not progress with the market's demands:

Every single US automaker - people have been buying big trucks for years, so let's keep doing that and screw these babyman eco battery cars...

RIM - touch phones are toys...

Kodak - digital will never catch on...

Borders - people only want paper books...

The list can go on.

I'm sorry to say it, but video is the future.  I want photography first, and it seems like you do also, but we are not the majority.  And who cares if they incorporate video into their amazing dslrs, and who cares if they make lenses that work great for video and stills?

People saying canon is lost, and they are just screwing everyone don't really know what they are talking about.  They might be screwing a few people, but if they just made stuff that you wanted they wouldnt even stay in the dslr business.

You may have a point - and I hate it. I can't stand touch screens, I still prefer books on paper and even now am not 100% thrilled about the fact that film is for all practical purposes dead.

There are certain aspects of quality that grew over decades and sometimes centuries that people are a little too willingly tossing out in the name of "progress". Call me old-fashioned or reactionary. I won't take it as an insult.

I can't wait for the day when some Panasonic or Fuji puts out a full frame poor-man's Leica...or if one day there will be a full-frame digital body that is manual focus works and with my FD glass. I'm going to open a 1983 Bordeaux when I come home and put on a few vinyls - you know "the large CDs" as my 5-year old calls them...
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

blarygake

« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »
I have only ever owned Canon gear.
But I echo the poster that said Canon is lost.

This is a worthless update. 
The only worthwhile upgrade is the form factor, but nobody with a current 24-70L would even consider burning over a thousand dollars to update.

They should have added 5mm on the top end while maintaining the 2.8 and the IQ.
Or they should have added IS.
Or they should have found a way to make it an f2 lens

SOMETHING new and noticeably upgraded.
I will be waiting to hear about the Tamron 24-70.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2012, 05:58:43 PM »
You may have a point - and I hate it. I can't stand touch screens, I still prefer books on paper and even now am not 100% thrilled about the fact that film is for all practical purposes dead.

There are certain aspects of quality that grew over decades and sometimes centuries that people are a little too willingly tossing out in the name of "progress". Call me old-fashioned or reactionary. I won't take it as an insult.

I can't wait for the day when some Panasonic or Fuji puts out a full frame poor-man's Leica...or if one day there will be a full-frame digital body that is manual focus works and with my FD glass. I'm going to open a 1983 Bordeaux when I come home and put on a few vinyls - you know "the large CDs" as my 5-year old calls them...

Amen to that.
How much fun would it be if the guts of a GX1 were put into the F1n body with an EF mount. Yeh I know it's as likely as me getting my youth back....

I've got my FD glass on a 500D at the moment with confirm manual focus, works pretty well you should try that. Only thing I've found is that the 200 f2.8 is very diffucult to use hand held, used to be able to but combined with crop factor I really need IS nowadays

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2012, 06:51:42 PM »
I hate the build quality of that lens

Really? I don't own this lens, but I've never heard bad things about its build quality...

It's too plasticky, the hood woobles because of same plastic, the extending front element wobbles and sometimes breaks off half way, the lens will still work, but it still broken off. AF sticks sometimes. I'm comparing this to the 16-35 and 70-200 that are just miles away in terms of build quality. Had 2 broken 24-70 2.8's so far. I like the lens, I use it a lot, it's just poorly made, obviously built down to a price, so that this new one is more expensive is not really of any concern to me, I just hope it will be better.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2012, 06:51:42 PM »