November 23, 2017, 05:42:11 PM

Author Topic: Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi Adapter DISABLES Tethering  (Read 4069 times)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi Adapter DISABLES Tethering
« on: April 01, 2017, 03:42:53 PM »
As a public service announcement, I have learned that the Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi Adapter disables tethering via USB.  Canon EOS Utility, Lightroom, Android DSLRController via USB OTG, etc. are all disabled as long as the W-E1 is in the camera.

I found this out after stupidly thinking it was Windows, a bad cable, and many other things.  WHY??? Canon did this, I don't know, but hopefully this saves at least one other person from beating their head against the wall like an idiot.
CPS Score: 111 points, those 0 and 1 point items really add up

canon rumors FORUM

Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi Adapter DISABLES Tethering
« on: April 01, 2017, 03:42:53 PM »

Zeidora

• EOS 7D Mark II
Re: Canon W-E1 Wi-Fi Adapter DISABLES Tethering
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 04:28:53 PM »
W-E1 also disables USB3 download of images. Just FYI. I agree that this is a very annoying und unnecessary limitation.
5D2 full spectrum, 5DsR, a bunch of Zeiss (some other) primes, for documentary natural history, macro, and micro.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 05:01:56 PM »
There is probably a technical reason, but if its just someone's idea of a good thing, it isn't.  I think this is the 2nd post about this.

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
I'm sure that there's probably a logical reason given that they have hacked the camera to do something it wasn't originally designed to do, but:

CANON SHOULD HAVE DOCUMENTED IT!!! 

Yes, I'm shouting on the Internet :) 

The word "USB" isn't even in the manual, which I just downloaded, but they do mention it under "Troubleshooting".  I think it might have been just a tad more helpful to put it up front as a big bold notice...

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 02:58:06 PM »
CANON SHOULD HAVE DOCUMENTED IT!!! 

It did. Look at page 16 :)

Although IMHO Canon manuals are not very well laid out, and thereby not "easy" to read quickly.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
Yep, under 'Basic Operation and Settings', it might be frustrating but it is well documented.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »
Ha ha, you guys assume that I read the manual ;)

I am pretty happy with it, otherwise, and with the Canon app, the previews are pretty quick.  The DSLRController takes quite a while, though, but has so many other features.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »

scubaraven

• Canonflex
    • http://behance.net/richardvalentine
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:19:45 PM »
Without starting another thread, I thought I would ask this one here. Sorry if this has already been answered, as I am sure it has being that it's such an obvious question. Is there a way to use the W-E1 adapter and still use the camera onboard settings? The reason I'm asking is that I wanted to use this card to tether the camera to a monitor facing my subject for their view as I captured the images. If this cannot be done, then maybe there's a hack somewhere that prevents the adapter from locking onboard controls? Thanks in advance.

Rich Valentine

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 01:31:17 PM »
Without starting another thread, I thought I would ask this one here. Sorry if this has already been answered, as I am sure it has being that it's such an obvious question. Is there a way to use the W-E1 adapter and still use the camera onboard settings? The reason I'm asking is that I wanted to use this card to tether the camera to a monitor facing my subject for their view as I captured the images. If this cannot be done, then maybe there's a hack somewhere that prevents the adapter from locking onboard controls? Thanks in advance.

Rich Valentine

Tethering as discussed here is remote control of the camera via the USB port.  The Wi-fi takes over and use of USB to control it is not possible.

Viewing the image via HDMI on a monitor does not involve control of the camera.

You can attach a monitor and control the camera directly, just not by USB i a W-E1 is installed. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:34:54 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

Sharlin

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
FWIW, the reason for the limitation is almost certainly that nobody wanted to have to solve the (possibly highly nontrivial) problem of being connected to two devices at the same time, both of which might want to control the camera.

tr573

• EOS M5
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 08:33:54 PM »
FWIW, the reason for the limitation is almost certainly that nobody wanted to have to solve the (possibly highly nontrivial) problem of being connected to two devices at the same time, both of which might want to control the camera.

Except it happens even if the wifi is turned off.  And there's no possibility of it controlling the camera.  Stupid stupid stupid

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 08:33:54 PM »