August 16, 2017, 10:17:17 PM

Author Topic: Adobe Lightroom CC 2015.10 Now Available  (Read 7891 times)

Pebbles

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: Adobe Lightroom CC 2015.10 Now Available
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »
As a company they need to lay out some path to the future or their subscriptions will dry up . The way things are going at the moment you mag as well acquire a hacked copy of Lightroom and Photoshop as there are no improvements coming. They are creaming it now but they are setting themselves up for later failure .

That's what happens when a company has an absolute monopoly. Most of their other products are industry standard, meaning if you use them professionally you can't go anywhere else. If you aren't using them professionally they don't care about you as you probably used to pirate their software anyway. The alternatives are all pretty terrible (have you ever used Gimp? It is a joke). As far as I know, Lightroom is already subscription only. If you think you'll be able to stay on an old version of Lightroom for long you'll get a nasty surprise soon when they stop updating it. They have the perfect captive audience. They don't need to improve their products because we can't go anywhere else. Why do you think the focus of most of their recent updates across CC have been to integrate stock photo sales into the UI? Because they can concentrate on milking more money out of subscribers rather than fixing issues or implementing new features.

If I didn't need other Adobe products (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) I would have left a long time ago. If there is anyone out there using only Lightroom they should try Capture One, otherwise suck it up. It will only get worse.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 09:49:09 PM »
As a company they need to lay out some path to the future or their subscriptions will dry up . The way things are going at the moment you mag as well acquire a hacked copy of Lightroom and Photoshop as there are no improvements coming. They are creaming it now but they are setting themselves up for later failure .

That's what happens when a company has an absolute monopoly. Most of their other products are industry standard, meaning if you use them professionally you can't go anywhere else. If you aren't using them professionally they don't care about you as you probably used to pirate their software anyway. The alternatives are all pretty terrible (have you ever used Gimp? It is a joke). As far as I know, Lightroom is already subscription only. If you think you'll be able to stay on an old version of Lightroom for long you'll get a nasty surprise soon when they stop updating it. They have the perfect captive audience. They don't need to improve their products because we can't go anywhere else. Why do you think the focus of most of their recent updates across CC have been to integrate stock photo sales into the UI? Because they can concentrate on milking more money out of subscribers rather than fixing issues or implementing new features.

If I didn't need other Adobe products (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) I would have left a long time ago. If there is anyone out there using only Lightroom they should try Capture One, otherwise suck it up. It will only get worse.

They do have competition, C1 is considered by many pro's to be the best, and DXO is a favorite of many.  I feel that I can change anytime I want, but Lightroom does the job I need.  I also use ACDSEE PRO but only for jpegs, it is pretty slow for raws, but does a good job.

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 01:48:20 PM »
I believe that it was mentioned some time ago that there will be no more versions.  Adobe is making record profits and is sticking with the subscription versions. 

AFAIK Adobe never officially announced there won't be a LR7 standalone - yet even if it weighted the opportunities and decided to make one anyway, it won't tell until release date to keep moving as much people as it can to CC.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:37:10 PM by LDS »

JonAustin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 11:00:18 AM »
They do have competition, C1 is considered by many pro's to be the best, and DXO is a favorite of many.  I feel that I can change anytime I want, but Lightroom does the job I need.  I also use ACDSEE PRO but only for jpegs, it is pretty slow for raws, but does a good job.

ON1 is starting to look like a pretty good LR alternative, as well.
Canon cameras, lenses, speedlites, scanners & printers

YuengLinger

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »
A little buggy--all updated as offered by Adobe, but now LR tells me ACR is not currently compatible!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »