December 19, 2014, 05:56:12 PM

Author Topic: B+W Filters compared to Promaster Filters?  (Read 20908 times)

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: B+W Filters compared to Promaster Filters?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
After much thought and saving, I purchased a 135 f/2 this weekend.  Love the lens already.  I usually use a UV filter on my lenses and have been very happy with the B+W brand thus far (use one on a 17-40 f/4 L).  I asked the salesman who sold the 135 to me if they had the B+W UV filter for this lens and he told me that they do sell the B+W filters but also sell the "Promaster" line of Filters.  He said that the Promaster HGX line of filters are apparently "better" than B+W, are specifically coated for digital cameras and that B+W does not have such a coating.  In the end, they didn't have the B+W UV in the 135's filter size and so I didn't buy a filter yet.

- Is anyone familiar with Promaster filters?  (I assume that they are a re-branded version of another manufacturer)

- If so has anyone compared them to the B+W?

Thanks in advance for any comments/ suggestions.

Congratulations on your 135L. It's a fantastic lens. I have both, the Promaster and the B+W filters. I don't have the UV filters though but the treated clear protective glass version (B+W 72 007 Neutral MRC on the 135). Based on my experience and some unscientific testing I see zero difference between the B+W, the Promaster or no filter at all. Which is good.

However, the B+W clearly beats the Promaster mechanically. If your goal is to add an extra level of protection the B+W filters are an excellent fit and they are sealed really well. The Promasters I have let in dust which I noticed during cleaning - lint from the cleaning cloth gets through the rim. That's probably not a big deal but it's another indicator that you get what you pay for.

I've decided to only use B+W filters and replace the Promaster filters one by one. Again, this is being a bit anal probably and only based on my impressions as far as build quality goes. The Promaster filters I have/had are not bad at all. Don't know who actually makes those. Could be from different places so experiences may vary.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:22:33 AM by 7enderbender »
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »
I have a neutral density filter from ProMaster. The first time I put it on a lens, the EF 24-70 f/2.8, was at a beach on a day that was windy and cold. After using it for an hour or so, I could not get it off the lens.  When I got back home, I tried to get it off again with no luck. The following day I decided to take it to the store where I had bought both the filter and lens. Before I left, I tried to remove the filter again, and it came off easily.

I think it was a temperature effect. The lens/filter had been room temperature when I put the filter on. The lens/filter cooled down at the beach and the metal on lens must have contracted more than the metal on the filter.

One reason why I prefer B+W over Hoya (rebranded or not) is that a filter is more than just glass.  B+W uses brass for the mounting rings, others use aluminum.  Brass has a lower coefficient of thermal expansion than aluminum, meaning less chance of the threads binding.

Even so, a set of filter wrenches (~$5) is a good idea.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 09:51:39 AM »
B&w are my Filters of choice. You buy them once for a lifetime.

I dot not trust my image quality to anything less than the Germans! ;D

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 10:00:13 AM »

Interesting! I thought this was a Canon rumor site?;)
1Dx, 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
Canon A-1, 199A, FD: 24/2.8, 35/2.0, 100/2.8, Vivitar 400/5.6 Mamiya RZ67 pro ii, 50,110,180
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 10:04:03 AM »

Well, when it comes to filters.

Plus, didn't the Germans make all the basic original optical setups for modern day lenses?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 10:23:58 AM »
B&w are my Filters of choice. You buy them once for a lifetime. I dot not trust my image quality to anything less than the Germans! ;D

I am German, and I doubt what you said (not about Germans, but about B+W :-)) ... I have a very old B+W 67mm UV filter, and the glass came loose not long after I bought it. Now it makes "glass clicking on metal" noises when I move it, doesn't worry me, but it proves even B+W is not perfect.

However I still buy B+W, and this was the only faulty filter and as I said it's from the 90s...

Plus, didn't the Germans make all the basic original optical setups for modern day lenses?

If it wasn't for the Germans, the USSR flag would have been on the moon first :-p ... but sadly, many scientific efforts were geared towards war, so if possible I could very well live without the reputation.

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »

Well, when it comes to filters.

Yes, but I could not help myself;)
According to the Canon Lens Works III (The official Canon story, at least how they want it told, ... The original Kwanon camera was a replica of the german Leica. Hence one could argue that innovation by copying is worthwhile.
1Dx, 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
Canon A-1, 199A, FD: 24/2.8, 35/2.0, 100/2.8, Vivitar 400/5.6 Mamiya RZ67 pro ii, 50,110,180
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 10:29:31 AM »

Stay with B&W. I have B&W Clear filters on my lenses.
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 10:31:04 AM »
B&w are my Filters of choice. You buy them once for a lifetime. I dot not trust my image quality to anything less than the Germans! ;D

I am German, and I doubt what you said (not about Germans, but about B+W :-)) ... I have a very old B+W 67mm UV filter, and the glass came loose not long after I bought it. Now it makes "glass clicking on metal" noises when I move it, doesn't worry me, but it proves even B+W is not perfect.

However I still buy B+W, and this was the only faulty filter and as I said it's from the 90s...

If it wasn't for the Germans, the USSR flag would have been on the moon first :-p ... but sadly, many scientific efforts were geared towards war, so if possible I could very well live without the reputation.

I just love the b&w quality. I've used stacked filters and still see almost no lost IQ. Great stuff.

Might as well use that knowledge for something, like the ultra speed Zeiss 50mm f0.7! I'd like one in canon mount please. ;D

Wellbid

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »

[/quote]
Its funny Wellbid sells promaster comes on and tell you to buy them first post he makes. If you saw these filters side by side you would immediatly pick out the better one being the B+W just by looking at it.
[/quote]

Gotta say I never promoted them for sale or told anyone to buy them, the OP was asking about the difference and all I did was tell them what Promaster filters are. Its funny how people can't read.

samkatz

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
I made the mistake of buying several Promaster Digital Series filters because I thought I'd be saving  a lot of money, esp. on thin ring filters for my wide lenses.  Never again. Some could not be removed from lens. One just fell apart. So, even if the optics were ok, the build was crappy.  I have been very happy w/my B&W's

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 06:46:04 PM »
Promaster does not make filters, they source them from whoever provides the best deal.  Camera dealers sell them for two reasons:

1.  Buyers want something that is low cost.  The majority of Rebel Buyers don't know what a filter is, and buy them based on the dealers recommendation.  So many dealers are not photographers any longer and may even believe what the salesmen tell them.

2.  They have a big markup.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 02:04:09 AM »

Its funny Wellbid sells promaster comes on and tell you to buy them first post he makes. If you saw these filters side by side you would immediatly pick out the better one being the B+W just by looking at it.

Gotta say I never promoted them for sale or told anyone to buy them, the OP was asking about the difference and all I did was tell them what Promaster filters are. Its funny how people can't read.
good second post there.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 02:04:09 AM »

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 09:16:39 PM »
i use B&W, and I plan on keeping them for a long time. As bosman said, if you were handed each filter you would know right off which is which. The b&W is a hunk of solid brass and glass awesomeness. Not all(the others that are as good or nearly as good cost no less), but most others are a silly mess with a cir-clip, made out of aluminum or something with coatings that just might be a major PITA to clean. I've got a Canon uv laying around here somewhere you guys can have...

dturano

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »
I live near two camera stores, one sells extremely cheap filters under $10 and work fine on cheap glass, when i started buying good glass from them they remembered I was a long time customer and said don't use the old UV filters not here lens, I was expecting an up sale they pulled out a few offerings, i think HOYA HMC and the one in the black box, I didn't grab them thinking it would be cheaper on amazon but they were actually cheaper. 

Another vendor is right down the street, they sell filters for about 30% over list, a quick phone search made me real uneasy over the heavy markup, i love supporting mom and pop but not keeping mom and pop in caviar taste.  I once needed a lens in a pinch and the salesman just grabbed the filter and scanned it and gave me the total, when I asked how much for the filter he said " i can't let you put something cheap in front of this good glass"  while he was pushing a good filter it was overpriced and I said I would rather put nothing than over pay, they wouldn't price meet and I moved on.

They push promaster and mark it up, I don't know this for a fact but I know have a friend who deals in wholesale and told me promaster is marked up insane, while i can't speak on quality I hear its no different than the $5 vivitar you can find.

I was always concerned with filters but now I would prefer none with a hood if I wasn't getting a good deal on a nice filter.

I personally wish (i know canon sells UV filters but i read terrible things?) the lens would come with a UV filter and have the whole thing included, i like the idea of the extra protection and just screw off and replace.  i know that wont happen thought....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »