June 28, 2017, 12:18:54 PM

Author Topic: Sony a9 Mirrorless Camera Now Available for Preorder  (Read 22443 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: Sony a9 Mirrorless Camera Now Available for Preorder
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2017, 04:21:49 PM »
I would appreciate if they put a 5dsr-II into a 1dx body, it could be a fine studio camera.

I've said for a long time that would be my wish too. A true upgrade to my 1DS MkIII's
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2017, 04:21:49 PM »

ahsanford

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2017, 04:43:52 PM »
I would appreciate if they put a 5dsr-II into a 1dx body, it could be a fine studio camera.

I've said for a long time that would be my wish too. A true upgrade to my 1DS MkIII's

+1

I still don't get Canon's reluctance to replace the 1Ds3 here.  If someone has $6k burning a hole in their pocket, they shouldn't have to choose between high resolution OR the 1D feature set.

- A

xps

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2017, 03:57:49 PM »
Maybe this body is an well placed system, and it might be better in some specs.
http://www.++++++++rumors.com/william-j-claff-claims-a9-two-stops-advantage-nikon-d5-low-iso/
s o n y a l p h a r u m o r s posted an review that it is 1 stop DR advantage over the Nikon D5.

Dylan777

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2017, 06:00:33 PM »
http://www.++++++++rumors.com/william-j-claff-claims-a9-two-stops-advantage-nikon-d5-low-iso/
s o n y a l p h a r u m o r s posted an review that it is 1 stop DR advantage over the Nikon D5.

Also, early reviews indicated high iso is not greater compared to a7rii (42mp). I thought sports cam should be good at high iso???

LonelyBoy

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »
When sales don't take off, watch for the firmware update that unlocks the adapted lens features.

Think that'd make the Sony fans scream about "crippling"?  Somehow I doubt it, but it should.

3kramd5

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2017, 12:02:18 AM »

Also, early reviews indicated high iso is not greater compared to a7rii (42mp). I thought sports cam should be good at high iso???

AF looks pretty respectable however:

https://youtu.be/8eQH_praFbk
Some Canon, some Nikon, some Sony, some Olympus

Mikehit

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2017, 03:03:49 AM »
That is indeed impressive. The key thing will be how often it nails focus like that - 'pretty respectable' will not cut it with a pro.
Also, that is with the native Sony lens - performance with f2.8lenses (which will be from other marques and need an adapter) is something else again.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2017, 03:03:49 AM »

3kramd5

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2017, 09:22:33 AM »
Also, that is with the native Sony lens - performance with f2.8lenses (which will be from other marques and need an adapter) is something else again.

That is an f/2.8 lens, right?

I wouldn't judge a sony on its ability to focus lenses from other marques any more than I'd bemoan the responsiveness of third party speedlight systems on my canons. If adapters allow it to focus third party lenses well, that's bonus.

I'm not feeling moved to sell my 1Dx by any means, but it gives me new hope for mirrorless focusing systems.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:12:17 AM by 3kramd5 »

Dylan777

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »
That is indeed impressive. The key thing will be how often it nails focus like that - 'pretty respectable' will not cut it with a pro.

Said before, going to say it again. Stay with native lenses to get the BEST out of mirrorless. People keep adapting 3rd party(DSLR lenses) and expect to work as good as native = SAD
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:48:54 AM by Dylan777 »

Mikehit

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »

That is an f/2.8 lens, right?

I wouldn't judge a sony on its ability to focus lenses from other marques and more than I'd bemoan the responsiveness of third party speedlight systems on my canons. If adapters allow it to focus third party lenses well, that's bonus.

I'm not feeling moved to sell my 1Dx by any means, but it gives me new hope for mirrorless focusing systems.

The thing is that this camera is clearly touted as being for the sports and wildlife photographer - and they use a lot of telephoto f2.4 and f4 lenses. These are lenses that Sony lack (yes, they have the 70-2000 f2.8 but that is it) which means that the pro would be using Canon/Nikon lenses with an adapter and performance takes a nosedive if the tortuously long list of Sony footnotes are decyphered correctly.

From what I read even Sony A mount lenses take a hit with an adapter.

3kramd5

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
The thing is that this camera is clearly touted as being for the sports and wildlife photographer - and they use a lot of telephoto f2.4 and f4 lenses. These are lenses that Sony lack (yes, they have the 70-2000 f2.8 but that is it) which means that the pro would be using Canon/Nikon lenses with an adapter and performance takes a nosedive if the tortuously long list of Sony footnotes are decyphered correctly.

From what I read even Sony A mount lenses take a hit with an adapter.

Yes, they have some holes to fill up. There is a rumored 400mm prime coming for E mount (no details), but it's going to take time.

A-mount lenses certainly take a prescribed hit to framerate (50%). It's probably related to expected AF performance since a-mount lenses are designed to focus differently than are e-mount lenses (E-mount focuses stopped down, and the linkages in a-mount lenses can't do it as quickly).

3kramd5

• 1D X Mark II

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2017, 11:48:56 PM »
Adapted canon 500mm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=GjPHze8dOCE

Interesting, it refocused on the plane really quickly but it failed to reaquire the helicopter for a long time.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2017, 11:48:56 PM »

3kramd5

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2017, 11:53:11 PM »
Adapted canon 500mm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=GjPHze8dOCE

Interesting, it refocused on the plane really quickly but it failed to reaquire the helicopter for a long time.

Yah, it has that "closest subject to the camera" feel to it, at least in whatever mode this was.

3kramd5

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »