May 27, 2018, 01:58:49 PM

Author Topic: Canon Full Frame body with crop mode ( that can use EF-S lenses)  (Read 41912 times)

AvTvM

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Canon Full Frame body with crop mode ( that can use EF-S lenses)
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »
I am genuinely happy with my 7d, but have gotten to the point where I am just sick of having to have the 10-22 to cover the wide end, when my 24-70 would be wide enough for most of the work that I'm doing.  In fact, I like like my 7d enough that if i can swing it financially, I plan to keep the 7d for the rare occurance i need the reach a 1.6 crop can provide, and for lower paying gigs at places i wouldn't feel comfortable bringing my FF into. 

well, pro or non pro then ... you just confirm my point that Canon is making it financially very challenging to move from APS-C to FF ... forcing all but their better-heeled user base to sell off all their APS-C gear ... EF-S lenses plus body! ...  in order to finance an FF body and at the same time, immediately also some EF  glass.   

The only one that i can see the worth in desiring on an FF body is the 17-55.  Even the 10-22, which i own, and is a fun lens, I wouldn't want that on a FF body.  The IQ just isn't good enough.

Your 10-22 may be a sub-par copy. I had bought my first10-22 used and it had a decentering issue showing as softness on the right bottom part of images. I sold and bought a new one, which is absolutely fine. From all the tests and picures I see, I do not believe that the 16-35 II pulls off comparatively better IQ on an FF body. 

So, to a large extent, I feel that the ef/ef-s argument is really one of those is the cup half full or half empty arguments.  Yeah, you could see it as a big ol road block.  Or, you could see it the other way, as an opportunity to invest in better glass...

Only problem with that: the lenses we want are not better in EF mount or with a red "L" ring than their EF-S counterparts, they just have a larger image circle and cost a lot more! 16-35 II  expensive but IQ-wise no match at all for the Nikon 14-24 ... 24-70 I ... more expensive than 17-55 but slightly less IQ throughout overlapping focal range and no IS (not even on the II). Same for the 17-40 - optically not as good as the 10-22, just a bit of weather-sealing.   

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon Full Frame body with crop mode ( that can use EF-S lenses)
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »