Rumors > EOS Bodies

Disappointed with Canon?

(1/9) > >>

Ubi:
Hi, I'm a long time follower of this site and I want to use it to express my disappointment to Canon about their current range of DSLRs.

I've been using exclusively Canon digital SLRs for the past ten years and have a collection of L glass to use with my 5D.  Recently I've been given some Nikon kit to play with by my college and I believe the D700 and D3s blow away anything that Canon has in the market place.  Add to that Canon's absence from the mirrorless and pellicle markets and I wonder what's going on, or not, at big red.   Getting rid of a mirror on a trapeze flapping about is a significant and logical development but Canon seems stuck in the past.

I'm not alone in my group in saying that if we don't hear of developments from Canon in new markets soon we're going to move to a combination of Nikon and Panasonic and hang the expense.  If we're forced to do that it will take massive technological innovation to persuade us to sell up again and come back to Canon.

Gothmoth:
oh please not another nikon user who pretend to be a canon user.  :o   :D

--- Quote ---believe the D700 and D3s blow away anything that Canon has in the market place
--- End quote ---

yeah sure..  ;D  then sell your L glas and switch to nikon.

honest when you are unable to produce great images with a 5D or 5D MK2 then you should think about switching your hobby/job not camera brands.

for me image quality is top priority.
nikon has nothing better then the 5D MK2 when it comes to image quality.

--- Quote ---Getting rid of a mirror on a trapeze flapping about is a significant and logical development but Canon seems stuck in the past
--- End quote ---

for hobbyist maybe.... as a professionell photographer i wait until the electronic viewfinder is at least as good as the optical..... and that will need another few years.

canon is sure working on it.
but as long as it is not up to their standards you will not see such things.

honest... i don´t see people who make money with photography talking about such nonsense. only hobbists with to much time at their hands.  go out and shot pictures.  ;)

kubelik:
ubi ... you do understand nikon isn't using pellicle mirrors either?  that's purely a sony thing right now.  you're complaining in two opposite directions at the same time.

I haven't seen any EVF that makes me want to stop using the 5DII's huge pentaprism.

I agree that the AF on the D700 is vastly superior to the 5DII's, but beyond that, there's little  else to seriously differentiate the two in terms of real shooting ... and to me, having the ability to record HD video on the 5DII totally outweighs the AF concessions (I grant that's a very personal decision and your mileage may vary)

leGreve:
I gotta stick with Gothmoth... with the posibility of being ridiculed, I worked professionally full time with commercial photography and when we're not shooting Hasselblad or Sinar with Phase One backs, we are using Canons. A las we have not yet upgraded the 1ds mkii but my private 5d ii is just dandy. Fine image quality and so on and I even managed to pull off 3 serious music videos with it (hat off to the editor hehe) :D

I can see what people mean about the AF in the 5d ii, but frankly I couldn't care less. I'd rather stick to manual focus for those in between model jobs.

There's nothing more to this that Canon being thorough and once they whip out the next generation Nikon fanbois will be quiet for a while. One side is always ahead for a brief periode, nothing new in that.

And stating that you are directly disappointed with Canon bewilders me... and I gotta give Gothmoth right, you do sound a bit like a hobbyist, but I'd look past that since its probably you guys who are the bread and butter of Canon, I just don't agree with you... at all.

realmike15:
Hah.  OP is trying to create a buzz around his opinion.

Truth is, I've tried to be a Nikon shooter on more than one occasion... but honestly I find their Controls poorly designed and laid out, their Viewfinders dull and dark, their image quality to be below Canon's, and their overall design to be clunky and odd.  I have no problem if you like Nikon, my dad is a Nikon shooter.  But in my (and many) people's minds, the slight benefits of Nikons AF Performance or slightly less ISO noise are not enough to out weight the fact that Canon trumps them two-folder in almost every other area.

Please don't make vague posts about how you think Canon is making less innovative cameras than Nikon and just switch if you feel that way.  I can assure you though, your opinion is a that of a very small minority.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version