September 23, 2014, 12:25:35 PM

Author Topic: Disappointed with Canon?  (Read 22349 times)

DoesNotFollow

Re: Disappointed with Canon?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 10:41:19 PM »
I can't help if you feel like switching to Nikon, but I'd be more than happy to help you with all of your L glass that you won't be needing anymore.  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 10:41:19 PM »

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 08:22:28 PM »
As Richy says, Canon made pellicle cameras over 40 years ago. Tried again in the 90'es, but somehow they failed. There are numerous reasons why, and those who don't know their history are bound to repeat it etc. It's a sales  gimmick for now, IMO.

Canon, no, I'm not dissapointed. I was very disappointed in the 1D MK III, it gave me little or no reason to upgrade, so i stuck with the 1D II. The IV is a different story, lives up to my every expactation
I'm not much for companies putting more and more mindless gadgets into their cameras, I need it to work and to take pictures in a reliable manner.
Who has the edge over the other varies (canon/Nikon), but I'm not selling all my stuff because of some sort of weird disappointment in what exactley? Bad image quality in the 5DII? Compared to the D700? Really? I think not.
I love the D700, I'm blown away by it, and would, was I getting a full frame that isn't a 1Ds, get that over the 5D because of it's speed and AF- the 5DII is awful and slow in more than one way.

I use my camera at ISO's that were, to me, a few years ago unimaginable. Shooting usable indoor corporate stuff at  ISO 3000 and above is just amazing

But I agrree on the noise, the luma of the Nijon looks nicer than Canons chroma.

zsolex

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 03:52:20 AM »
Hi,

could someone give positive and negative feelings with the following cameras?
Canon 7D(EF-S 15-85 IS USM) - Nikon D300s(AF-S 16-85mm G ED VR)
The Canon has more noise in low ISO rates but in higher ISO rates is better than the d300s.
The Canon USM lens are faster than the Nikon AF-S series.
The D300s colors are closer to the reality, the Canon is a little bit reddish.
Which AF system is better? I mean speed and accurency, low light performence? The Canon AF sensor sensitivity in the center are from F2.8 and the others F5.6. In the nikon system are all from F2.8?
OK, the Nikon has more AF points.. and the Nikon can make 3D tracking. Canon?
As I heard if you use auto AF you can also use the manual focus ring. Is it true? In the Nikon system is it possible to manualy corrigate the AF in auto mode or it kills the AF motor?
The Nikon TTL produces more neutral exposures w/ flash?

thnx,

Zs

S P

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 08:00:49 AM »
I think I must be like the only person that's switched FROM Nikon TO Canon this year, and even more crazy that I've been completely happy with the switch! lol  Nikon and I just weren't getting along.  I'm much much happier with the Canon system and have no regrets whatsoever, even in light of all of the great new kit that Nikon has come out with this year.  If anything, it's only reinforced my decision.

I got a 5D2 and have the 17-40L, 24-105L, a 70-200/4L non-IS, and a few other tidbits.  I like the controls a lot better since I can get to everything with one hand, Nikon still doesn't have a lightweight and low-cost 70-200mm lens with an f/4 aperture.  They force you to decide between too slow f/5.6 lenses and too big and heavy f/2.8 monsters and I just couldn't live with that.  I sold my Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens and picked up the Canon 70-200mm f/4L non-IS (I never used VR/IS on that lens anyways), like the Canon f/4 a whole lot better, and the difference in price paid for half of the 5D2 body!

I can't go anywhere on the Internet without hearing about how horrible and lousy Canon's AF system is, *especially* in the 5D2, and yet I've had absolutely no issues keeping things in focus even with fast moving subjects in less than favorable lighting conditions.  My only complaint is that the AF does quit a bit before the Nikons in low light, but I've only run into that situation once in 6 months.

The high-res is great when I need it.  21MP resolves things that 12MP just won't, and Nikon forces you all the way up to a $7500 D3x to get that resolution at this point.  The extra res also means I can just get by with only a 200mm lens and crop a little when needed.  Nikon's JPEG processing probably is a little bit better and their cameras don't seem to have the low ISO noise issues that I occasionally get on Canons, but there's workarounds for that or just shoot RAW.  Canon's included software also works a LOT better than Nikon's does, and it's free.  Can't beat that.

Anyways, completely happy with Canon and glad I made the switch.

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 05:47:32 PM »
Don't get hung up on the details - go to the best camera shop in your town in the week, look for someone that looks knowledgable, then pester them to play with both for a while...  I suspect you will fall into one or the other within a few minutes...

I say go in the week, because the shop will be less busy with weekend camera gift buyers... Do you have a DSLR now ? Are you tied into a brand yet because of your existing lenses, flash etc ?
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

adventurer

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 04:27:36 AM »
I switched from Nikon to Canon 2 years ago. The main reason for doing it was the lack of a lens in the Nikon range that was lightweight and had a long enough reach for wildlife photography (please no one mention the horrible 80-400 VR). I got a 50D and a 70-200 F4 IS + 1.4TC. Compared to my older Nikon D200 + 70-300 VR setup I do see some improvements on sharpness, not surprisingly based on the lens improvement, but I was shocked by the Canon's failure to AF in low light. I've now got a 1D Mark IV, and guess what? It's even worse. Seems like Canon is going backwards on low light AF with every newer, pricier body they bring out. As someone who specifically needs to shoot in low light, this leaves me with quite a dilemma. Would I go back to Nikon? They still have not rectified the lens range problem so probably not.

unix

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »
I've been using exclusively Canon digital SLRs for the past ten years and have a collection of L glass to use with my 5D.  Recently I've been given some Nikon kit to play with by my college and I believe the D700 and D3s blow away anything that Canon has in the market place. 

My story is this:
I had two EOS-20D bodies and a 50mm, 24-105 L and a 75-300.  I never bought the EF-S lenses because I always anticipated the arrival of cheaper full frame cameras.

When I bought my first DSLR, the EOS-20D, I felt that the choice was pretty simple. The only serious contender was the Nikon D70. The 20D had slightly more megapixels but still considerably better image quality, especially at high ISOs. The autofocus on the 20D was also better. In general, the 20D felt like a much more solid camera than the Nikon D70. The only thing that bothered me back then was the fact that Nikon D70 had faster flash sync speed.

In 2008, I was going to upgrade to full frame. When the 5DMKII came, it was a huge disappointment to me. I had definitely expected to see a camera with less megapixels, faster frame rate, better high ISO performance and improved autofocus. Instead, they came out with a 21megapixel camera.; the high ISO pictures looked awful and overprocessed to me. The autofocus seemed to be essentially the same as in the 20D. Not necessarily bad but no improvement after 4 years of development seemed like stagnation to me, especially when I looked at what Nikon had in the D700.

After much agony, I decided to buy the Nikon D700 instead and start building a collection of Nikon glass . Yes, I am an amateur; I have never even tried to make money on my pictures. I do understand that for many pros, autofocus isn't that important if you are working with models that are posing for you and that megapixels may be more important if your customer demands 20+ megapixel images. However, I am an amateur and my situation is different and I prefer to use equipment that make sense to me.

I have been more than happy with the D700. It took some time getting used to the Nikon controls but now I am comfortable with them. I especially like the fact that the power button is together with the shutter button.

Add to that Canon's absence from the mirrorless and pellicle markets and I wonder what's going on, or not, at big red.   Getting rid of a mirror on a trapeze flapping about is a significant and logical development but Canon seems stuck in the past.

I am a skeptic when it comes to mirrorless. At least I don't believe in EVFs any time soon. They would probably need to have much more resolution than what is possible today.

If we're forced to do that it will take massive technological innovation to persuade us to sell up again and come back to Canon.

Personally, I am still keeping my Canon lenses and flashes around, just in case they release a better camera than what's in the Nikon lineup. I occasionally even use my 20Ds, especially with the 75-300, since I don't have any telezoom for my Nikon. I wouldn't mind buying the 5DMK3 if it happens to be good enough.

However, I am still disappointed with Canon. I am especially disappointed with their aggressive pushing ahead in the megapixel race. I feel like their engineers  are forced sacrifice image quality in order to satisfy the marketing department's demand for more megapixels. I think this is especially apparent when you look at cameras such as the 50D. Sadly enough, I suspect that Nikon is on the way to descend along the same path down to megapixel hell.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »

zsolex

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 05:10:24 AM »
Hi,

hesitation between 7D and D300s.
I do not have any lens yet.
If I have to decide now I would choose the 7D. It has amazing video performance, Canon has EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens, Nikon also has same lens but without image stabilisation. The USM is faster than the AF-S lens..
The negatives for the 7D: the 18Mpx is to many for me, instead of this I would prefer less ISO noise. The Nikon AF systems work better in low light condition and the metering is maybe better in Nikon.
The Nikon jpeg processing is better.
I think I have to wait for the Nikon D400.. but the Nikon word -I think- is more expensive than Canon..
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:12:22 AM by zsolex »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 05:18:52 AM »
Can anyone tell me if all Nikons is like the D90 which have to hold each button down while adjusting the wheel? I almost threw it to the floor when trying it, every time I tried to adjust AF or ISO or whatever I pushed the button , released and moved my finger to the wheel, and it had jumped out of that function. This . Is. USELESS!!

Just for that, I would NEVER buy a Nikon, they stow away things in a menu that should be on the outside of the camera.

7d all the way bro... But I agree, it should have been 12 mp....
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

unix

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 05:21:57 PM »
Can anyone tell me if all Nikons is like the D90 which have to hold each button down while adjusting the wheel? I almost threw it to the floor when trying it, every time I tried to adjust AF or ISO or whatever I pushed the button , released and moved my finger to the wheel, and it had jumped out of that function. This . Is. USELESS!!

This is the default behavior on D700 as well but you can configure it. I recommend that you check your D90 to see if you can configure it the way you like it. On the D700 it's under the "CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU", "Controls" , f10 "Release button to use dial". If you change that setting to "ON", then you can release the button and use the wheel.

Personally, I like the default behavior better ;)

unix

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 05:49:59 PM »
Hi,

hesitation between 7D and D300s.

Have you considered D7000?

It is cheaper than D300s but is said to have a better sensor. I believe that the Dxomark measurements are more or less correct and they seem to indicate that the D7000 is a quite big step forward, when it comes to sensor performance.

Of course, the D7000 only has 39 AF points and no Compactflash slot, only SD. I tested the D7000 recently and it seems to be a really nice camera. I also got the impression that it has a slightly larger viewfinder than what is common on DX/APS-C cameras.

Usually, the difference between a new model and the previous model is quite small but it seems like D7000 really is a step forward when it comes to the sensor. Hope that the link works:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/619|0/%28appareil2%29/614|0/%28appareil3%29/680|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28brand3%29/Nikon

If not, you can go to dxomark.com and select "Camera Sensor" => "Compare Sensors".

macfly

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 11:00:41 PM »
Ubi, right with you there, been renting the 3ds a lot of late because it is simply a far superior sensor/system/glass combination to my current 1Ds MkIII & L glass.

Canon need to keep at least some focus on those of us who care about ultimate quality at the top end, though I did learn today they haven't even been selling the Mklll for a year because the 5D has wiped out its sales completely!

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 08:25:02 AM »
These discussion are always a bit funny. It reminds me of a BMW-Mercedes discussion. One is faster the other roomier, one has more HP the other more features. But both build top edge cars.

I think we can say the same about Canon and Nikon. I think Nikon has the edge at the moment, a few years back it was Canon. So why switch, in two years from now that could change again, and then switch again?

I think the most important thing is, that you know your tool. No matter what Canon or Nikon model you use, both have their strength, but none of them has real weakness. Some things might not be ideal, but as long as you are aware of the problem you can work around them.
And I also think like with cars, that the personal taste plays a big role into which camera brand you prefer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 08:25:02 AM »

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 09:51:27 AM »
Canon need to keep at least some focus on those of us who care about ultimate quality at the top end, though I did learn today they haven't even been selling the Mklll for a year because the 5D has wiped out its sales completely!
Macfly,
Do you know of somewhere on the web that posts unit sales of dSLRs?  I've always been curious. 

Also, awhile ago you said you were going to post a side by side comparison of the 1Ds MkIII and the D3s.  I was wondering if you had done so?

Ultimately, I am one of the "leap frog" theorists and note that the 1Ds III was introduced in 2007, the D3s in 2009 and expect a new canon "flagship" to leap frog the D3s for a year or two.
Thanks.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 11:29:01 AM »
Do you know of somewhere on the web that posts unit sales of dSLRs?  I've always been curious. 

No one publishes accurate sales by model of DSLR's, those sites out there merely get a small amount of data and extrapolate it, which can be extremely inaccurate.

Amazon sells a large number of cameras, and they have a sort of rolling best sellers list, which gives you a idea of what is popular, but, since i don't know exactly how it is computed, take it with a grain of salt.  For example, the D7000 is listed high on the list, so they must be counting pre-orders as sales, because they are and have been out of stock or short on stock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/photo/3017941

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 11:29:01 AM »