May 26, 2018, 12:46:49 AM

Author Topic: All is Quiet, but the Good Stuff is Coming  (Read 93438 times)

Keith_Reeder

• EOS 7D Mark II
Re: All is Quiet, but the Good Stuff is Coming
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2017, 05:31:09 AM »
All in all, a smart marketing move...

Or a panic move to shift product at any cost? It's not a good sign when a company has to undercut its own cameras in order keep the cash coming in.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2017, 05:31:09 AM »

BeenThere

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #286 on: June 08, 2017, 08:32:44 AM »
So, we are a month or so from the alleged 6D2 announcement and still no leaks of the detailed specs. Canon is playing their cards close to the vest on this one.

On The Who has the mojo discussion, I chose Canon many years ago based on best in class AF (at the time) and best selection of glass (still is in my opinion). I've always been able to find a Canon body that meets my needs. Maybe not best in class in some particular feature at all times, but that honor see-saws back and forth in the fullness of time. I've never regretted going with Canon. If others have made different decisions and are happy with their choices then good for them. Competition is good for everyone and pushes the technology forward.

Keith_Reeder

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #287 on: June 08, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »
If others have made different decisions and are happy with their choices then good for them.

Indeed - and it would be nice if they viewed our choices with the same degree of open-mindedness...

jeffa4444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #288 on: June 08, 2017, 12:26:28 PM »
A watching paint dry week. Nothing on the 6D MKII, 85mm f1.4L IS, a replacement 50mm f1.4. I'm trying to convince a friend to wait for the two lenses but he seems hell bent on buying the 85mm & 50mm Art Sigma lenses (lost sales for Canon).
Canon 5DS, Canon 6D, Canon 6D MKII,16-35 f4L IS USM, 17-40 f4L USM, 28 f2.8, 24-70mm f4L IS USM, 24-105 f4L IS USM, 100mm f2.8L IS USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, 50 f1.8 STM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM II, 1.4EX III, EOS 760D, EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM & others.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
« Reply #289 on: June 08, 2017, 01:00:12 PM »
A watching paint dry week. Nothing on the 6D MKII, 85mm f1.4L IS, a replacement 50mm f1.4. I'm trying to convince a friend to wait for the two lenses but he seems hell bent on buying the 85mm & 50mm Art Sigma lenses (lost sales for Canon).

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-coming-july-20-2017-cr1/

- A

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • I like cheap wine and even cheaper women.
« Reply #290 on: June 08, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »
I know there are people happy to see the camera announcements. I'm just ready to see some L lens announcements.

It is going to be a long year.
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

Keith_Reeder

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #291 on: June 09, 2017, 07:15:08 AM »
It is going to be a long year.

That's not a bad thing. If they're short, you end up not living as long...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #291 on: June 09, 2017, 07:15:08 AM »

LonelyBoy

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #292 on: June 09, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »
Importantly, when it comes time to buy, the 6D remains a very popular choice...and the 6DII will be, as well. 

Overall, Nikon and Sony have generally better specs in many areas.  In aggregate, buyers consistently choose Canon.  But people will continue to believe that the spec sheet is what matters most, and claim that Canon is doomed becuase Models S and N have this or that feature and that Model C is 'crippled' by the lack thereof.  Well, that's what 'no room for reason' looks like, in practice.

It's a constant that internet discussions of anything with a spec sheet will almost always come down to massive arguments about the spec sheet vs preference.  It happens in cars (a Corvette is much faster than a Cayman, but a lot of people would rather have the Cayman), it happens with computers and phones (not even getting close to going into detail for fear of derailing the discussion), and it certainly happens here with cameras.  The spec sheet brigade insists that the fattest spec sheet, or fastest car, is clearly best, and anyone who prefers another is a badwrong fanboy.

Meanwhile, off-forum, people seem a lot more reasonably.  I know Nikon shooters and we've never once gotten snotty about each other's gear.  Car guys tend to appreciate each other's cars.  Spec sheets are only part of the ownership experience of a product, but it's harder to demonstrate "this feels better in my hands" online, while it's very easy to show a spec sheet comparison.

Or for a personal example, a decade ago or so I bought a GTI instead of a Mazdaspeed3.  Yes, the Mazdaspeed was faster.  For actually getting to work and doing errands, the GTI felt much better.  If someone else preferred the Mazdaspeed, great for them!  It's nice that people with different desires can purchase different products.

The strange thing is the insistence that Canon must make the product that these people want, and they don't seem actually interested in the Nikon they keep claiming is clearly superior.  My assumption is that these people also actually prefer Canon, no matter what they say about Nikon (or Sony), and they want the best overall package with the best spec sheet, which almost never happens.  This is why I keep asking certain people why they'd rather complain about Canon instead of switching to Nikon, because I think if they really explored that in their heads they'd come to the same conclusion, but they've never once answered me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #292 on: June 09, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »