May 23, 2018, 01:45:15 AM

Author Topic: All is Quiet, but the Good Stuff is Coming  (Read 93021 times)

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
Re: All is Quiet, but the Good Stuff is Coming
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 05:12:12 PM »
I read an article that CFast cards are dumped:  http://resourcemagonline.com/2016/10/the-cfast-vs-xqd-battle-is-already-over-stop-buying-cfast/68002/ Oh, Canon...

The CF cards standards mirror the main disk technology available on computers (CF - IDE, CFast - SATA, CFExpress - NVMe), which greatly simplify interoperability, you don't need specific drivers to support a different protocol (which also makes car reader simpler, less expensive, and well supported).

Remember that CF cards, like SD, are not used only in (video)cameras, there are a lot of devices that use them, and especially boot from them (something camera don't), thereby a standard, broadly supported protocol by any OS is welcome.

XQD looks to be more a "camera only format" - let's see if it will survive or not, and if a niche market, what the prices will be.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 05:12:12 PM »

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 05:42:08 PM »
Apparently Canon hired someone to be their new PR point person...

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • EOS 5DS R
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 06:16:11 PM »
XQD looks to be more a "camera only format" - let's see if it will survive or not, and if a niche market, what the prices will be.

Sony embraced it, which is pretty much the kiss of death for any storage medium. It is based on a real standard and not Sony propitiatory though, so who knows.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • EOS 5DS R
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 06:27:55 PM »

Sony embraced it, which is pretty much the kiss of death for any storage medium. It is based on a real standard and not Sony propitiatory though, so who knows.

Scratch that...

It's been out since 2012, only Sony and Lexar make cards, and the format has been superseded by CFExpress?  It's dead Jim.

tcmatthews

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 08:41:09 PM »

Scratch that...

It's been out since 2012, only Sony and Lexar make cards, and the format has been superseded by CFExpress?  It's dead Jim.
XQD Version 2 is based on PCI Express 3.0 and CFExpress is based on PCI Express 3.0?  Convergence, I suspect XQD will die or get a card converter.

Or exist in only very compact cameras in CFExpress does not fit.  Personally I think that we could perhaps move away from cards all together and put a tray with a slot for a M.2 drive in the camera. 
7D II, 60D, Rebel XS + some Canon lenses, A7II + Sony + some Sony lenses, OMD EM1,OMD EM5 + some m43 lenses, adapters and Fd and M42 lens.  Sold 6D,Nex6,EOS M1

countofmc95

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »
I had a 6D and SL1 combo as my only camera gear way back in 2013.  I had a foray into mirrorless and right now am using Nikon, but honestly I think that initial combo of Canon gear was always the way to go.  I'm hoping the Mark II versions of both are pretty good, and I think I'll jump back into Canon.

PhotographerJim

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • Explorer of Life
    • My Site
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »
I literally have a stack of cash waiting for the 85mm f/1.4L IS. Seriously Canon, take my money...

Same here. If it's anything like the new 35mm, I'll be preordering it for sure!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »

vangelismm

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 10:31:42 PM »
No one complain about 50mm IS, yet?

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 10:47:35 PM »
Wait, 6D2 now announced before September? When is it going to be available? I just put my 6D up for sale in anticipation of this camera arriving in the next month or so.

"You're killing me Smalls!"
 :)

Never sell your gear based on rumors.  If you had done that with the 100-400mm L II, you would have been waiting 10 years.  Even if a rumor is correct about a new model, there are many things that can delay new models.  Earthquakes have shut down new models more than once in recent years, flooding in Thailand played havoc with Nikon cameras and lenses.

Don't even think about selling due to a rumor.

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 11:04:11 PM »

... both had CFast cards for 4K recording. One month later I read an article that CFast cards are dumped:  http://resourcemagonline.com/2016/10/the-cfast-vs-xqd-battle-is-already-over-stop-buying-cfast/68002/ Oh, Canon...
Based on this article, the best-selling high-speed card is already doomed, just as Canon has been doomed for many years ... But a new card format that does not yet exist in any camera, would already have won the war.

After all, Sony is a world leader in cameras and lenses, just as Betamax won the market just for him, right? ???

ajfotofilmagem, you pretty much too the words out of my mouth. The quoted article (now seven months old) is pure speculation that declares one format a winner based solely on what the author considers better technology. But, better technology is seldom the deciding factor in the marketplace.

I looked at that article and what struck me was that three major video camera makers in the professional market – Canon, ARRI and BlackMagic – all chose CFast. Market share almost always trumps technology, so I wouldn't bet on CFast going away any time soon.

Chaitanya

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 11:21:33 PM »
I read an article that CFast cards are dumped:  http://resourcemagonline.com/2016/10/the-cfast-vs-xqd-battle-is-already-over-stop-buying-cfast/68002/ Oh, Canon...

The CF cards standards mirror the main disk technology available on computers (CF - IDE, CFast - SATA, CFExpress - NVMe), which greatly simplify interoperability, you don't need specific drivers to support a different protocol (which also makes car reader simpler, less expensive, and well supported).

Remember that CF cards, like SD, are not used only in (video)cameras, there are a lot of devices that use them, and especially boot from them (something camera don't), thereby a standard, broadly supported protocol by any OS is welcome.

Camera market is just small fraction of CFast market, they are used a lot in industrial PCs as it uses Sata interface and its compatibility with other OS is great compared to proprietary XQD.

Luds34

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 11:22:41 PM »
Wait, 6D2 now announced before September? When is it going to be available? I just put my 6D up for sale in anticipation of this camera arriving in the next month or so.

Never sell your gear based on rumors.  If you had done that with the 100-400mm L II, you would have been waiting 10 years.  Even if a rumor is correct about a new model, there are many things that can delay new models.  Earthquakes have shut down new models more than once in recent years, flooding in Thailand played havoc with Nikon cameras and lenses.

Fair enough, and I agree... especially with lenses. With camera bodies... it's a bit different.

One, the 6D is going to lose a ton of value on the secondary market once the 6D2 is announced. One, because the next new big thing is out, but more so, because I think we'll see plenty of 6D owners putting their cameras up for sale and flooding the market.

Two, camera models NEED to be refreshed from time to time as the tech just keeps changing so fast. Not so much with lenses, aka 85mm f/1.8 or 70-200 f/2.8L (non IS)  being from (guessing a bit here) 93ish and 95ish respectively? Aka both over 20 years old and still "current" models. While the 6D...? 5 years now almost?

In short I'm playing with a fire a bit, I agree... just trying to preserve some resale value though while I still can.

My joke is worse case I guess I pick up a 5D4. ;)

Mac Duderson

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 11:48:07 PM »
 8) 28mm f1.2L IS BlueGoo  ;D ;D ;D
You know it can be done  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 11:48:07 PM »

Ryananthony

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 12:06:36 AM »

Fair enough, and I agree... especially with lenses. With camera bodies... it's a bit different.

One, the 6D is going to lose a ton of value on the secondary market once the 6D2 is announced. One, because the next new big thing is out, but more so, because I think we'll see plenty of 6D owners putting their cameras up for sale and flooding the market.

Two, camera models NEED to be refreshed from time to time as the tech just keeps changing so fast. Not so much with lenses, aka 85mm f/1.8 or 70-200 f/2.8L (non IS)  being from (guessing a bit here) 93ish and 95ish respectively? Aka both over 20 years old and still "current" models. While the 6D...? 5 years now almost?

In short I'm playing with a fire a bit, I agree... just trying to preserve some resale value though while I still can.

My joke is worse case I guess I pick up a 5D4. ;)

I thought the same when it came to selling my 5d3 when the 5div was rumored.  I held off, and actually still own my 5d3. I can still currently sell it for a the same price I would have before the 5div was announced. With that said, location plays a big part. I live in a big city with a huge market for both buying and selling camera gear.

scrup

• EOS M5
    • Free Hosting
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 12:14:48 AM »
Those waiting for a 6D2 will be disappointed. Get the 5D4 or just jump ship to Sony. Why wait for a let down.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 12:14:48 AM »