May 25, 2018, 01:28:55 AM

Author Topic: All is Quiet, but the Good Stuff is Coming  (Read 93286 times)

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
Re: All is Quiet, but the Good Stuff is Coming
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 12:50:10 AM »
Those waiting for a 6D2 will be disappointed. Get the 5D4 or just jump ship to Sony. Why wait for a let down.

My only wish for 6D2 is that it'll be as lightweight as the 77D.

If it's another minor update, I won't stray from the Canon camp, but may give up on FF altogether.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 12:50:10 AM »

scrup

• EOS M5
    • Free Hosting
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 01:35:41 AM »
Those waiting for a 6D2 will be disappointed. Get the 5D4 or just jump ship to Sony. Why wait for a let down.

My only wish for 6D2 is that it'll be as lightweight as the 77D.

If it's another minor update, I won't stray from the Canon camp, but may give up on FF altogether.

Tough ask for Canon to make a 6D much lighter, possible but it be probably be called another name.

SL1 upgrade and the full frame equivalent would be nice additions.

6D2 would be like 5D3 with 4k, slower framerate and lower build quality.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 02:03:29 AM »
No one complain about 50mm IS, yet?

I am holding my tongue as it's clear that wherever the 50mm f/nooneknows IS USM is in the new product pipeline, it's clearly behind the 6D2, 85 f/1.4L IS, etc.

So let's get those released so we can start talking about 50mm lenses.  :D

- A

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 02:05:59 AM »

Because it will cost more than $1000 less and come with a tilty-flippy screen (and possibly interchangeable focusing screens).  No amount of the 'joy of having it now' with a 5D4 will put a tilty-flippy on it or give you manual focusing screens if that's what you've been waiting for.

Those are good reasons to wait for a lot of folks here -- and I'm a 5D owner saying that!

- A

xps

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 02:57:49 AM »
Interestingly, other rumor pages - whose name is ***** .**** here - rumor, that there will be NO 6DII, but an MLS coming.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 03:25:38 AM »
Interestingly, other rumor pages - whose name is ***** .**** here - rumor, that there will be NO 6DII, but an MLS coming.

Those sites are 99% likely wrong.  All conventional wisdom says a 6D2 with a mirror and all is a 'this year' product.

FF mirrorless is certainly on the horizon for Canon, but surely it will not be within +/- 3 months of the 6D2 announcement.  Canon prefers to give its FF launches an exclusive spotlight for a period of time.

- A

xps

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 03:33:09 AM »

Those sites are 99% likely wrong.  All conventional wisdom says a 6D2 with a mirror and all is a 'this year' product.

FF mirrorless is certainly on the horizon for Canon, but surely it will not be within +/- 3 months of the 6D2 announcement.  Canon prefers to give its FF launches an exclusive spotlight for a period of time.

- A
I hope so, as I need another body... And the 6DII will be the one...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 03:33:09 AM »

tbrand

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
    • Tristan Brand
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 04:22:44 AM »
Fingers crossed my 1DX II get C-Log to "keep up" with the 5D Mark IV.  ;)

CanonCams

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 05:13:49 AM »

Yeah, I saw that and cringed. lol

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 05:22:27 AM »
Or exist in only very compact cameras in CFExpress does not fit.  Personally I think that we could perhaps move away from cards all together and put a tray with a slot for a M.2 drive in the camera.

In some ways, CFExpress looks to be exactly that - but designed with the need of removable storage in mind (M.2 is mostly designed for fixed internal storage, although it can easily be replaced when needed). M.2 uses NVMe as the interface protocol as well. It looks CFExpress will allow to use up to 8 PCIe lanes (M.2 uses only four), and there will be different form factors depending on how many lanes are used - it looks it will start with two, using a package the same size of XQD, and using the same physical interface (it's not clear if XQD cards will work in a CFExpress device):

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170418005189/en/CompactFlash-Association-Announces-CFexpress*-1.0-Specification

http://www.compactflash.org/assets/docs/cfapress/cfexpress_family_pr_160907.pdf

Basically, CFExpress looks to be based on XQD - but adding protocols that became standard for SSD devices like NVMe, to ensure broad support and interoperability, and designed to add more features in the future.

In the same articles you'll see both Canon and Nikon are behind the standard, and because of that I'm quite sure it's XQD to be doomed - maybe like MiniDisc <G>

Being Canon in the CFA body, they knew where standards were going, and I guess they weren't in a hurry to use XQD when CFExpress was arriving - as long as the older standards were enough, and have more OEM making cards, why adopt another one which was going to be superseded?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 05:25:21 AM by LDS »

mdflare

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 05:24:24 AM »

Because it will cost more than $1000 less and come with a tilty-flippy screen (and possibly interchangeable focusing screens).  No amount of the 'joy of having it now' with a 5D4 will put a tilty-flippy on it or give you manual focusing screens if that's what you've been waiting for.

Those are good reasons to wait for a lot of folks here -- and I'm a 5D owner saying that!

- A

Absolutely. Coming from the 60D to the 6DI, the thing I am most annoyed about the lack of the articulated screen. If you are doing lots of macro and Landscape where you simply can´t put your face up behind the camera that fixed screen is annoying as hell.
(Doing things through a WLAN Tablet isn´t helping a lot. It makes everything even more cumbersome)

I personally don´t want to pay for features in a camera like the 5D3+ line that I am simply not interested in. (sophisticated focusing, FPS, flash-cards)
And it is a lot more if you are not earning bucks with it.

I hope the 6D2 will have a weather sealing around the wheel on the back. From my experience there is simply no protection whatsoever on that thing in the 6D. It starts acting crazy with only a drop of water on it. Almost instantaneously disabling the usability of the camera.

eli452

• EOS M5
  • When you have to shoot shoot don't talk
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 06:10:28 AM »
Will it not be more sensible for Canon to stop the 6D line entirely and produce a  mirrorless full-frame camera?
7D; 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye; 100mm f/2.8L macro; TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II; 24-105 f/4L; EF-S 10-22mm; 70-300mm f/4-5.6L; Milvus 50mm f/1.4, 600EX-RT & ST-E3-RT; lots more stuff.

LesC

• EOS M5
    • 500px
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 06:26:30 AM »
Will it not be more sensible for Canon to stop the 6D line entirely and produce a  mirrorless full-frame camera?

Not for me and many others I suspect. I'm happy with my 6D but would like a tilting screen. I don't need a 5D MKIV nor do I want to spend that much.

As to FF mirrorless, I have no interest in it. The body may be a bit smaller but L lenses will still be the same size plus i prefer an optical viewfinder.
EOS 6D, EOS 80D, EOS40D, EOS100D, EF24-70F2.8L II, EF17-40 F4L , EF70-200 F4L, 1.4TC, EF100-400 F5.6L II, EF100 F2.8L IS, EFS18-135 STM Sigma 17-70, 430EX MkII, GPE-2, EOS M + 18-55M

http://500px.com/LesC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 06:26:30 AM »

Ed V

• EOS Rebel 300D
    • Ed Vatza
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2017, 06:54:38 AM »
Ok, I'll bite.

Looks, I'm not one of those guys who has to have the latest and greatest of everything. I've been shooting with my 5D3 and 50 1.2 most of the time and sometimes wonder why I even have the other lenses listed in my signature.

What is really starting to irritate me is the seeming lack of attention given to the M-series. I bought the M5 to use as a lightweight backup. Right now I carry two lenses - the EOS-M 22mm and the EF 40mm pancake with adapter. I know rumors are just that but I read here back before I made the purchase that there would be another prime lens coming to the EOS-M line this year. There was no longer any mention of such lens in the original post here. Is the M5 going to become obsolete before the year ends? Come on guys!

All I hear is wishing for a FF mirrorless camera from Canon. And the expectation that it would have the EF mount. Is that happens it would be the final nail in the M coffin, in my humble opinion.
I am a photographer. I simply seek to record life as it is. That is all I do. It is what I am.

5DMkIII - Rokinon 12mm Fisheye - Canon 28mm - Canon 35mm L - Canon 40mm Pancake - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Canon 50mm L - Canon 85mm - Canon 135mm L & EOS M5 - 22mm - 15-45mm

Crosswind

• EOS M5
  • The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2017, 07:45:38 AM »
I'm really curious if the SL2 will feature a tilting (or even fully articulating) screen. Then it might be a serious contender to the M5 for example, just with an OVF. This will be interesting.

And yes I'm also curious about the sensor of the 6DII, as this might be a first glimpse into the sensor performance of the fullframe EOS M (if it is ever going to happen).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2017, 07:45:38 AM »