May 24, 2017, 04:11:00 PM

Author Topic: Canon in Active Development of EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS [CR2]  (Read 9283 times)

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • dustinabbott.net
Re: Canon in Active Development of EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS [CR2]
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2017, 05:46:41 PM »
Always a little curious that such a "leak" comes from Canon just about the time that the Sigma 24-70 OS ART and Tamron 24-70 VC G2 are about to come to market.

Hmmm, kind of reminds me of how the "leak" about the Canon 85mm f/1.4 IS came about the time that the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 ART came to market.  Of course, we have yet to see that lens.

Patience. It will happen and it will blow all 3rd party early to the party glass out of the water. Yes, it will cost more, perhaps it will weigh more.

That remains to be seen.  Those of us who actually test lenses found that the Canon 24-70L II was better than, say, the Tamron 24-70 VC, but barely so, and not at all focal lengths...and at twice the price.  I fully anticipate that the G2 version will significantly close that gap on all fronts and still undercut the current version in price.  It's been a long time since I have seen a lens blow away the competition...the competition is just too good, and at the moment we are at a point of diminishing returns.

Dustin, I read your reviews and trust them more than any other reviews... even though I nearly always choose Canon.

Do you think third party manufacturers are starting to close the AF gap? That is something that really means a lot to me. I think the BR is big too. CA can be a real problem with my 135L at times. In fact, BR would weigh heavily on me when deciding to upgrade or not.

I've got a feeling every new lens is going to have BR. It seems very effective on the 35L. I think the 24-70 will have it and the new 135 and 85 to. I guess that and IS are the carrots on the end of the stick now.

I've really been surprised at the new lenses that have NOT received the BR element.  I would anticipate that the 85 IS would have it, but in truth we've heard so little detail about the lens that I don't know what to expect.  But yes, the 35L II is special.  I own it and love it, but I also know a lot of people look at the Sigma 35 ART and say that it is "good enough" - particularly for the difference in price.
6D x 2 | 80D | 70D | EOS-M3 w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + 55-200 STM + Rokinon 12MM F/2 + EF Adapter| Tamron 15-30 VC | EF-S 24mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | Tamron 45mm VC | Zeiss 50 | 50 STM | 100L | 135L | Tamron 70-200 VC | 100-400L II | Legacy Glass

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2017, 05:46:41 PM »

tiggy@mac.com

• Canon 70D
  • 5D4, 7D2, 1DX
    • Forest Metrix
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »
I would not be as pessimistic on the price issue. When the version two of the Canon lens was released there really wasn't much in the way of competition. The fact that there is competition now, and that two very proven competitors are coming out with new versions, all indicates to me that Canon is going to have to bend its pricing curve if it wishes to maximize revenue on this project. My guess is $2.2k usd. Not that this is cheap.

Btw, +1 for Dustin on his observation re: recent vaporware rumors timed to third party actual releases. He pointed out the 85 example. The 70-200 talk prior to that was another.

slclick

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
Always a little curious that such a "leak" comes from Canon just about the time that the Sigma 24-70 OS ART and Tamron 24-70 VC G2 are about to come to market.

Hmmm, kind of reminds me of how the "leak" about the Canon 85mm f/1.4 IS came about the time that the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 ART came to market.  Of course, we have yet to see that lens.

Patience. It will happen and it will blow all 3rd party early to the party glass out of the water. Yes, it will cost more, perhaps it will weigh more.

As long as the 70-200 2.8 Mark 2?

I owned the latest Tammy 24-70 prior to this G2 we're waiting on and it left me wanting. The current Canon version hits all the check boxes, especially since I'm not that big on IS for less than 100mm.  Personally I will have no GAS as

That remains to be seen.  Those of us who actually test lenses found that the Canon 24-70L II was better than, say, the Tamron 24-70 VC, but barely so, and not at all focal lengths...and at twice the price.  I fully anticipate that the G2 version will significantly close that gap on all fronts and still undercut the current version in price.  It's been a long time since I have seen a lens blow away the competition...the competition is just too good, and at the moment we are at a point of diminishing returns.

As long as the 70-200 2.8 Mark 2?

I owned the latest Tammy 24-70 prior to this G2 we're waiting on and it left me wanting. The current Canon version hits all the check boxes, especially since I'm not that big on IS for less than 100mm.  Personally I will have no GAS and that is huge. I hate gear temptation.

LonelyBoy

• Canon 6D
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2017, 11:38:10 PM »
Does the VC in the Tammy G2s have a panning mode?  If so, how well does it work?

scottkinfw

• 5DSR
  • Wildlife photography is my passion
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2017, 01:50:21 AM »
I have the 24-70 2.8 II L and absolutely love it.  It is tack sharp, excellent color and contrast.  No distortion. 

For one thing, I have had some L lenses that were duds in the past, so I wouldn't want to risk losing a share thing.  I might be tempted by the new lens IF it came with a significant improvement in iq- but this would be very difficult.

Finally, I am starting to lust after maybe a 12- 24, or perhaps a 500mm, and I have to save for them.

sek
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

clicstudio

• Canon 70D
  • {+}
    • clic::studio photography
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2017, 04:45:24 AM »
Enough with 24-70 2.8's. There are dozens of  different companies making the exact same thing.
Extend the range to at least 24-100 and then we get something more useful and different.
Or make a 24-70 2.0 or something...
I can't believe technology hasn't evolved enough to do something better  ::)
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

infared

• 5DSR
  • Kodak Brownie!
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2017, 06:42:23 AM »

Dustin, I read your reviews and trust them more than any other reviews... even though I nearly always choose Canon.

Do you think third party manufacturers are starting to close the AF gap? That is something that really means a lot to me. I think the BR is big too. CA can be a real problem with my 135L at times. In fact, BR would weigh heavily on me when deciding to upgrade or not.

I've got a feeling every new lens is going to have BR. It seems very effective on the 35L. I think the 24-70 will have it and the new 135 and 85 to. I guess that and IS are the carrots on the end of the stick now.

I've really been surprised at the new lenses that have NOT received the BR element.  I would anticipate that the 85 IS would have it, but in truth we've heard so little detail about the lens that I don't know what to expect.  But yes, the 35L II is special.  I own it and love it, but I also know a lot of people look at the Sigma 35 ART and say that it is "good enough" - particularly for the difference in price.

Yes, the 35mm f/1.4L II is special. So is the Sigma 135mm f/1.8mm. There are so many great lenses and cameras to choose from these days. It is a great time to be a photographer.
5D III +BG, 5D IV +BG, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Rokinon 15mm f/2.4,  Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 35mm f/1.4L II, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f/1.2L,  Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II & 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2017, 06:42:23 AM »

Random Orbits

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2017, 07:56:07 AM »
Enough with 24-70 2.8's. There are dozens of  different companies making the exact same thing.
Extend the range to at least 24-100 and then we get something more useful and different.

Harder than you think.  The 24-70 f/2.8 II is already softer at 70mm than at 24mm, and the IQ of the 24-70 f/2.8 II is better than either Sigma's 24-105A f/4 and Canon's 24-105 f/4 IS II.

BeenThere

• Canon 70D
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2017, 10:14:58 AM »

Harder than you think.  The 24-70 f/2.8 II is already softer at 70mm than at 24mm, and the IQ of the 24-70 f/2.8 II is better than either Sigma's 24-105A f/4 and Canon's 24-105 f/4 IS II.
Better zooms moves in the direction of larger and heavier; not what most want in a zoom. For better performance, look to some of the excellent primes.

Ladislav

• EOS M3
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
Seriously, this is the most depressing rumor I have seen here for ages. It actually does not rumor anything. It is like a copy of rumor released about 2 years ago ...

[rant begin]
Dear Canon, just cut of the bull***t and give me the lens! I don't give a s**t if it is 100g heavier than the non-IS one, so if that is your biggest concert, go straight to manufacture.
[rant end]
6D | 16-35 L IS | 24-70 VC | 70-200 L IS II | 70-300 L IS | 17 TS L | 24 TS L II | 50 STM | 100 L IS | 430 EX II

Pixel

• Rebel SL1
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2017, 09:00:20 PM »
The version II is simply too good of a lens to justify the cost of replacing it only for IS. Talk to me in five or six years when it HAS to be replaced.

pokerz

• EOS M3
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2017, 12:26:10 AM »
Just remember the Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD: only 825 g with a very good IS (VC), Canon's current F 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM weighs only 20 g less. I never understood the argument that Canon abandoned IS because they were concerned about weight. If the Mark III version of this lens would include IS, I'd really make up my mind about upgrading to Canon's zoom. The Tamron is quite an impressive lens, given its price, but its AF isn't too reliable so I did lose some otherwise nice shots with it (yes, I AFMAd my Tamron).
So that you will have to pay more in 2470L IS

CanonFanBoy

• 5DSR
  • Dang!
    • flickr
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »

:) My mistake. For some reason I thought the 35II was the first, but also thought it was being implemented on all new lenses since inception. I didn't realize it wasn't. I guess that shows what happens when one gets tunnel vision and only looking at the lenses I'm interested in. I wonder why it isn't being put into all the new lenses? Anybody's guess, I guess. :)
Canon 5D Mark III and some lenses and flashes and stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »

LonelyBoy

• Canon 6D
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2017, 06:07:05 AM »
I do wonder how much stuff Canon considers to be in "active development".

For example, Apple had the Intel version of OS X in the lab from day 1 and ready to be decanted whenever necessary.  It would be surprising if Canon didn't have a 24-70/2.8IS design ready to be sent to the factories whenever it became a big enough problem not having one (as has been said on this thread, they must have designed the current one to have a place to add it), even if they're still trying to find a way to pull the weight and price down if they can.  This also means I assume they have a FF mirrorless body and mount that they could send to the factories if the market suddenly turned.  They're certainly still working on improving it, I'd assume, but it would surprise me if they didn't have the design ready for "wow, the Sony freaks are actually right and we're losing sales, we need to pounce now".  Even if that's just a 5D body with the mirror removed and an EVF, using a regular EF lens mount.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2017, 09:13:20 AM »

:) My mistake. For some reason I thought the 35II was the first, but also thought it was being implemented on all new lenses since inception. I didn't realize it wasn't. I guess that shows what happens when one gets tunnel vision and only looking at the lenses I'm interested in. I wonder why it isn't being put into all the new lenses? Anybody's guess, I guess. :)

I think price is a factor.  It's a very expensive addition, and may not work the same in every optical formula.  It worked a treat in the 35L II, but we've not really seen a major high end prime release from Canon since.  Some zooms, but the BR didn't make it into the 16-35L III or the 24-105L II for some reason.
6D x 2 | 80D | 70D | EOS-M3 w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + 55-200 STM + Rokinon 12MM F/2 + EF Adapter| Tamron 15-30 VC | EF-S 24mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | Tamron 45mm VC | Zeiss 50 | 50 STM | 100L | 135L | Tamron 70-200 VC | 100-400L II | Legacy Glass

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2017, 09:13:20 AM »