I have been renting cameras for sometime now or using my t2i. I went to buy a
5D Mk II today and could not pull the trigger out of fear that a new one could be released anyday now? As we all know this is an ongoing problem for many canon users looking to upgrade at this time so I want hear people thoughts. Buy a 5d MK II today or Wait?
It would really depend on what you want. For one thing, you know the specs of the 5D II, know what its capable of, know its IQ, know its AF system and limitations, etc. If those things are acceptable to you, and the price works for you (which should be pretty darn cheap right now...FAR cheaper than a 5D III on its release)...go for it. Its an artists tool, they all take excellent photographs...newer technology won't change that.
On the flip side, if there is anything about the 5D II that really rubs you the wrong way (such as the top pick for improvement by most Canon people....the AF system), and you think you need something better...wait. Decide on which camera to get once more solid 5D III specs come out. If they aren't as stellar as everyone is hoping (i.e. less than expected AF improvements...not enough to justify a much higher cost), you might just want to save some money and grab a 5D II. If the 5D III IS stellar, then it was probably worth the wait, and you'll likely be happy dropping three grand on your brand new beauty.