October 23, 2014, 06:10:20 PM

Author Topic: Childish Behaviour  (Read 7263 times)

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
Childish Behaviour
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:04:07 AM »
When Canon started the Megapixel race the only thing you read on forums was:

Why  can't Canon do like Nikon.
Less MP and clean high ISO images (like d700/d3s)

Now Canon is doing exactly this ( flagship 1dx) !
Always complain. So many forum topics where people are switching to Nikon ? why ?

I am certain 99% will not need 36mp images.
I would say go outside and take some pictures.
All current cameras (Canon and Nikon) will do just fine for most of us. (I would say all of us)

I really hope Canon will not go into MP race.

Edward van Altena
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:34:11 AM by altenae »

canon rumors FORUM

Childish Behaviour
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:04:07 AM »

vlim

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Childish Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:15:59 AM »
I really hope Canon will not go into MP race

Me too, i don't need that kind of gear for wildlife photos but clean high ISO images, yes  ;)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:18:58 AM by vlim »

Canon-F1

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:20:12 AM »
Because 10 or 12 wasn't enough for many but 18 or 21 is? Because many see MPs beyond a certain level as providing less bang for the buck? Many people feel we've reached a comfortable level with MPs but haven't with dynamic range and low light performance?

You're assuming that people are acting irrationally. They aren't. They are merely satisfied with the megapixels we have and now desire that other aspects of image quality be the focus of design improvements. How is that childish?

read again.... and try to understand what he wrote.

and  i am absolutely with him.. he is right.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:22:18 AM by Canon-F1 »

vlim

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:50:55 AM »
I am certain 99% will not need 36mp images

How many of us do A2 or A1 print ?

In my opinion wiith 18 to 20mp you already have very high quality A3 printing... But once again i'm not taking photos in a studio.

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:38:12 AM »
True, I've printed countless A3 prints from 22mp.

But, there is that nice crop factor...however no good if the IQ is rubbish, which is why I'm stepping away from the D800 as a viable camera. I'd rather go medium format which in all fairness is really cheap.

I've been watching H3D 39's for the last few weeks, some go for the same price, with a lens for the price of a 1DX.
Ok, so it lacks a lot of features that are convenient but for studio work it's excellent.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:40:06 AM »
My impression is that most of the people here are not willing to have a high mp cam but better DR and ISO performance from  21-22 mp sensor on 5D x or mk3 and that has not changed.

I imagine you are referring only to those who are willing to have high mp on 5D x /mk3 but then they might need it for their work... I don't know, wall size prints? Cropping? Either case, I think we will see two cameras this year and both edges will be covered...

Cheers!

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 06:43:08 AM »
I really hope Canon will not go into MP race

Me too, i don't need that kind of gear for wildlife photos but clean high ISO images, yes  ;)

The biggest beneficiaries of more MP are probably now only Intel, Seagate and WD.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 06:43:08 AM »

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 06:54:23 AM »
Canon, why do you insist on giving us cameras with either too few or too many MPs?  Wouldn't it be easier to just give us a camera with the optimal amount of MPs that will please everyone?
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

docsavage123

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 06:59:41 AM »
My friend shoots rock gigs with a Nikon D300s and Sigma Lenses, He even does video on it at 720p.

He is not interested in the D800 at all, or full frame. He currently has had Magazine covers done at 12 megapixel and A2 and A3 prints done professionally so this I must have 36megapixel 75 meg files is insane.

Just shooting raw on my 7D takes up loads of space and you are right once someone gets this camera and quickly realises that their nice shine laptop/mac cannot handle the raw files with out pausing/stuttering and filling up their hard disks in no time at all.

Saying that I still would like a 5D3 whenever it appears. hopefully same resolution as the current 5dmk II.
Canon 7D, 6D, 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS, 400mm F5.6L, 70-200 F4L, 1.4 EXT ii, EF100 F2.8 Macro,  40mm Pancake, Sigma 24-70EX DG F2.8, Sigma 17-35 F2.8-4 HSM, Sigma 18-50 F2.8-4 OS , EX430 II.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 07:27:26 AM »
The Nikon D3S is my current perfect camera in terms of specifications. But I'm sure canon will come up with an alternative in the near future. Can't quite afford the bulky 1DX yet!
I shoot semi-professionally at the moment with a 5D original. I only desire cleanish ISO to 6400, video capability and all my 9 AF points to be as good as the centre one. 12MP is plenty - Less time at a computer and more time shooting.

adebrophy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • xtrashot PR and Photographic
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 07:47:36 AM »
Just joined the forum as interesting in the debate here. From my own POV I'm still happy with the size images from my 40D but I guess the thing to consider isn't just prints but where the whole tech eco-system around photos is going.

Seeing what's happening in flatscreen technology with huge wall-size ultra high definition screens in development is probably an interesting context for bigger images. Any pro level cameras bought later in 2012 will surely need to be able to serve their owners into the early days of 4K screens, and surely there's no harm in the images themselves being future proofed to last longer to when even higher resolution displays are possible.

That's not to say that I think this is a practical need today for 99.999% of people but I guess (pure speculation mind) that the major players like Canon, Nikon et al must be keeping a weather eye on that context.
5D mk ii, 40D, Canon 24-105 L, Canon 100 f2.8 L, Canon 135 f2 L, Canon 40mm f2.8, Canon 70-200 f4L,  Canon 50 f1.8, Canon 600 EX RT, 2x Canon 430ii

Sunnystate

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
Not sure which side displays childish behaviour.
Sometimes, I feel like all the opponents to the higher megapixel cameras, are people that have spent years of savings on 5D body and two or three lenses, and are terrified  that they precious investment will become outdated/obsolete just like that, especially if new gen lenses will be needed to keep up with resolution.
Let's hope Canon will follow  sound business instincts, and contribute or lead in creative development, instead listening to unreasonable childish fears of current camera owners.
The whole new, let's say "very bold" pricing thing from Canon is another story, and is potentially causing the same effect, making even professionals to think twice about some radical new upgrades.

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 08:00:50 AM »
, I feel like all the opponents to the higher megapixel cameras, are people that have spent years of savings on 5D body and two or three lenses, and are terrified  that they precious investment will become outdated/obsolete

Not really.
What I meant with childish is the switch to other brands everytime somthing new is announced.

It also takes a while for my 70-200 II & 400 II to be obsolete  ;) ;) ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 08:00:50 AM »

etg9

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 08:18:42 AM »
1st post here...

I believe the desire to want people to do what you're doing not based upon their needs or wants is not the most mature thing ever. If I was a studio photog or a landscape guy the D800 is a pretty sexy looking camera and unlike medium format Nikon lenses can be had at a similar price and with nearly as large of a range as Canon. I personally have thought a lot about the 645D and realize that it would be a really fun camera to go shoot with and possible take some great photos.

There are people who will like and not like the direction that any company moves in and will switch companies based upon that. This affects me in no way what so ever, I wish them the best of luck and I hope they find what they are looking for.

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »
Don't discount other people's needs because they don't match your own, some people have a use for higher MP. My "serious" photography is aerial/realestate/recon. The ability to keep zooming in on an image for details that were unknown at the time of shooting is huge. Printing? Who does that? Pop the image via wifi for display on a 55" LED.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »