October 26, 2014, 01:15:31 AM

Author Topic: Childish Behaviour  (Read 7280 times)

photophreek

Re: Childish Behaviour
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 02:30:01 PM »
Ricku - I'll tell you how unbelieveable it is........the 24-70 III is probably 10 years away.  Don't you think that asking a question about a lens that's a decade away is kinda....you know, silly? 

BTW, why is IS such a deal breaker for everybody when the "charts" say that the lens will out resolve Canon's best zoom ever?  IS has nothing to do with the IQ of the lens. 

I think it's time for the Canon fanboys to take some real pictures rather than cleaning/polishing and fondling their lenses and whining about gears that is a decade away
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:09:18 PM by photophreek »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 02:30:01 PM »

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 03:33:01 PM »
I think it's time for the Canon fanboys to take some real pictures rather than cleaning/polishing and fondling their lenses and whining about gears that is a decade away

+1

jcns

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »
it's a matter of economics
suppose Canon is considering producing a lower grade/consumer level 600 or 800 mm lens.
They still need to factor cost of R&D, tooling and materials.
How many do you think they could sell?  And is the volume enough to cover up the initial capital investment (R&D, tooling)?
My guess is NO.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »
I'm with you here. I like having as many MP's as possible. Why? Cropping! I shoot birds. And those of you who do well understand the phenomenon. And those of you who would tell me to just get a longer lens, two problems:

1. I don't have 12,000 spare bucks hanging around.

2. An 800 5.6 is very hard to take and use in many of the places I like to go. Humping through the everglades with my current lens is hard enough...

So, is cropping the ideal solution? Maybe not on paper, and perhaps not in a forum discussion, but on the field, and back home on my computer, it is the ideal solution for me.

Yes, if you can have your landscape cam also perform well for birds too then that sounds good to me.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 06:06:29 PM »
Well given the performance of some of the previous Tamron 28-75s, IS is the least of the problems.  Maybe they got their act together, but the 28-75 was know as slow and having focusing issues in low light and having a lot of softness and CA. 

All I can say is my Tamron 28-75 has barely any CA showing on APS-C and while it has some on FF it has less than the 24-105L I tried (and it was sharper center and edge than the L as well). The L had a bit more contrast and much faster AF.

My Tamron 17-50 2.8 was better than my 17-40L.

That said the Tamron 70-200 2.8 has terrible AF for that sort of lens (which often gets used for sports) and the Tamron 70-300VC while offering a ton for the price and fast AF for Tamron does have worse image quality than the Canon 70-300mm IS L and AF that is only about half the speed.

The MTF curves for the 24-70 II look so stunning that I have a hard time imaging the Tamron matching it but the Tamron might end up being a pretty decent lens all the same and the AF will likely be fast enough for anyone not shooting top level indoor sports with it, my guess. I bet it does better than the old Canon 24-70 for image quality.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 06:30:58 PM »
Ricku - I'll tell you how unbelieveable it is........the 24-70 III is probably 10 years away.  Don't you think that asking a question about a lens that's a decade away is kinda....you know, silly? 

BTW, why is IS such a deal breaker for everybody when the "charts" say that the lens will out resolve Canon's best zoom ever?  IS has nothing to do with the IQ of the lens. 

Hey lens fondling is perfectly acceptable in the privacy of your own home... :O
APS-H Fanboy

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 06:54:31 PM »
When Canon started the Megapixel race the only thing you read on forums was:

Why  can't Canon do like Nikon.
Less MP and clean high ISO images (like d700/d3s)

Now Canon is doing exactly this ( flagship 1dx) !
Always complain. So many forum topics where people are switching to Nikon ? why ?

I am certain 99% will not need 36mp images.
I would say go outside and take some pictures.
All current cameras (Canon and Nikon) will do just fine for most of us. (I would say all of us)

I really hope Canon will not go into MP race.

Edward van Altena

agreed. I honestly don't think the majority even needs anything over 12MP as nikon proved by giving something alot of people wanted in return: class leading low noise and huge DR. thousands of great images being made and plenty of huge prints sold. didn't affect anybody in the slightest. certainly their decision to keep low gave them a huge boost BUT pretty much caused all the MP maniacs to come over to canon....so in a way I kind of see why they are begging to get more because 20MP is the new 12MP and this crowd is obsseded with big numbers even if just yesterday they were boasting about their 21MP marvel and how it was "perfect".

likewise, people who shot in really demanding light conditions and used to flawless AF and speed, are now scratching their heads in the nikon camp and looking for canon to stay low in the MP count and speed. Many argued 20MP was too much, it was slow yada yada. All we hear now about the D800. So trust me, complainers will complain and plenty of Nikon guys want to switch to what the hope will be a low MP/high ISO future in canon.

So all the MP chasers and high ISO chasers will have to find a new home as will all the MP chasers. though for them because honestly, things go back and forth between these copanies so they'll be back eventually. smart photographers will just shoot great stuff with what they have and not mind the other brand.

My advise to anybody feeling a bit to much stockholm symdrome (which is all this boils down to) is to simply go back to the old 5DII vs D700 threads in a nikon/canon board and replace 12MP with 21MP and 21MP with 36MP and D700 with 5DmkIII and 5DmkII with D800. There is bound to be a rationale that will justify any choice you want to make and everything will be good again.

Anybody wondering what stockholm syndrom is, is what happens when hostages side with their captors. just think about how silly is to put any emotional stake in camera companies.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 06:54:31 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »

Hey lens fondling is perfectly acceptable in the privacy of your own home... :O

8) 8) 8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »