October 20, 2017, 07:25:32 AM

Author Topic: The forum has to be redone, What needs to stay?  (Read 17958 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
Re: The forum has to be redone, What needs to stay?
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »

Another thought: would it be possible to let the photo threads appear in a more gallery style way??

We have a photo gallery with a public or individual space for each member.  Likes can be given for photos, even Facebook or other social media likes.

Members don't want to use it because its not what they are used to.  The forum is like a huge ship, it does not turn easily, if at all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »

LordofTackle

• EOS 80D
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »

We have a photo gallery with a public or individual space for each member.  Likes can be given for photos, even Facebook or other social media likes.

Members don't want to use it because its not what they are used to.  The forum is like a huge ship, it does not turn easily, if at all.

Thanks for the hint, I wasn't even aware of that, sorry.

-Sebastian

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2017, 01:53:02 PM »
Maybe a vendor only forum to allow vendors to post about events or new products.  Only the Original vendor can post additional info on a thread. Have a second forum to let the kitties sharpen their claws and shred each other.

Just a comment. One of the things I like about the forum is that the way it is currently structured discourages "astroturfing" by vendors.

Some vendors try to manipulate the forum by posting positive comments about their products, but soon learn that real people with real experience post counterpoints. Sometimes a heated discussion follows, which reveals the true character of the vendor.

I think those "kitties" as you call them are often doing a real service by cutting through the vendor b.s. and providing useful information, even if it can be uncomfortable at times.

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »
Maybe a vendor only forum to allow vendors to post about events or new products.  Only the Original vendor can post additional info on a thread. Have a second forum to let the kitties sharpen their claws and shred each other.

Just a comment. One of the things I like about the forum is that the way it is currently structured discourages "astroturfing" by vendors.

Some vendors try to manipulate the forum by posting positive comments about their products, but soon learn that real people with real experience post counterpoints. Sometimes a heated discussion follows, which reveals the true character of the vendor.

I think those "kitties" as you call them are often doing a real service by cutting through the vendor b.s. and providing useful information, even if it can be uncomfortable at times.

That's true enough.  So long as the discussion remains civil and avoids name-calling, they can be very helpful.

wsmith96

• EOS 5DS R
  • Advancing Amateur
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2017, 02:46:50 PM »
I'm open for what ever.  I do like the idea of a DIY area if it makes sense to do so.  Search is my friend on this forum as I'm always looking for advice/recommendations.  I don't have any in mind, but maybe additional search criteria to help people find what they are looking for.  Maybe date ranges?

What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.
60D | 80D | 10-22 | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 17-55 | 24-105L | 50 1.4 | 60 Macro | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8L Macro | 70-200 2.8L Mk II | 100-400L Mk II | 430EX II x 3 | ST-E2 | 270EX | 1.4 Extender III

quod

• EOS M5
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »
1.  No changes to the design.
2.  Add a DIY and Sales sections.  Ban Neuro -- he's a cancer on these boards.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2017, 07:46:18 PM »
1.  No changes to the design.
2.  Add a DIY and Sales sections.  Ban Neuro -- he's a cancer on these boards.

1. There absolutely has to be changes to the design, this is 2012 you're looking at and it's not good at a lot of things.

2. No sales, I have no interest in monitoring people getting ripped off. There is another forum that already does it well.

3. DIY, that's interesting, i'll think about it.

4. Neuro is never leaving, and if he tries, I won't let him. No one has made me spit coffee out of my nose in the morning more than he has.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:48:36 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2017, 07:46:18 PM »

hbr

• EOS 80D
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »

4. Neuro is never leaving, and if he tries, I won't let him. No one has made me spit coffee out of my nose in the morning more than he has.

:)

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »

Haha! +1

IglooEater

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2017, 08:10:21 PM »
Please discourage quoting a quote of a quote, and other means of using tons of space to say nothing.

I actually like this, because it adds context. But, I could see (if possible) restricting the length of the posts, which would encourage people to truncate the quotes. I feel many people are too lazy to shorten the posts they are quoting and just copy the whole thing. That's hardly ever necessary if it's a long post.

I like this too.  However if the quotes could be collapsible, (collapsed by default after a certain size) that'd be grand.

hbr

• EOS 80D
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:32 PM »
We need an emoji for spitting up coffee.

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2017, 08:27:33 PM »
I'd like to be able to display images larger than 800 pixels wide.
Restrictions like that were necessary in the 90's, and even 10 years ago, but almost nothing uses such low resolution today.
For the sake of text formatting, I'd say making 1920 pixels the maximum page width is a good upper limit, though I wouldn't be opposed to a smaller number like 1536 or even 1280 (most of my browsing is either done in a 1280 wide browser window that takes up half of a 2560x1440 monitor, or fullscreen on a 2048x1536 tablet).

Zeidora

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »
1. There absolutely has to be changes to the design, this is 2012 you're looking at and it's not good at a lot of things.

2. No sales, I have no interest in monitoring people getting ripped off. There is another forum that already does it well.

3. DIY, that's interesting, i'll think about it.

1) I assume you've looked at other fora. Can you point to some forum with this or that feature that you like/consider? The current CR looks perfectly fine to me, but then I don't lurk around other fora much either. And I'm old, wonder where the perforated film strip icon is ;-)
2) Fair enough.
3) Sounds cool. Currently modding some old flash for UV reflectance photography. Work in progress ...
5D2 full spectrum, 5DsR, a bunch of Zeiss (some other) primes, for documentary natural history, macro, and micro.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2017, 02:10:58 AM »
I am finding it a pain using CR on an iPad or iPhone as it now opens a mobile device mode, which, unless I have missed it, doesn't display recent forum posts.  So, you have to click to switch to desktop mode and it doesn't store my login derails. 
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2017, 02:33:36 AM »
I agree with unfocused that we do NOT need to increase the size of uploaded photos. Some are too big already and slow the download time.

Make the text annotations (bold, italic, etc) show up in real time instead of as code with brackets as you type it.

Add a section listing most recent posts. Not just the one most recent comment in each section, but all the threads with recent posts in order.

Photoss can be uploaded full size to the gallery, and then posted at a smaller size to a forum.  A person who wants to see it full size can click on it and look at the pixels.

Example.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2017, 02:33:36 AM »